Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What is too many CA's during treatment?
What is too many CA's during treatment?
I haven't seen my husband's initial sleep study report, but I finally got his machine so I can see what his report is every morning (they had it set for the bare minimum), and it looks like his AHI is 2-3, but they are pretty much all Clear Airways (or Centrals, according to his Resmed Bi-pap). Is this too many? He hasn't been to his sleep doctor since the first month he got it, so I told him he needs to go. I'm concerned though, since I know that same doctor told me that he doesn't get concerned unless it's more than 5.

Would love some input.

Also, he doesn't have an SD card in the machine, I just noticed, so I'm going to get one so he can post through Sleepyhead.

By the way - can you have two people's sleepyhead data on one computer?

Thanks-
Theresa
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What is too many CA's during treatment?
(09-16-2019, 07:23 AM)theres126 Wrote: I haven't seen my husband's initial sleep study report, but I finally got his machine so I can see what his report is every morning (they had it set for the bare minimum), and it looks like his AHI is 2-3, but they are pretty much all Clear Airways (or Centrals, according to his Resmed Bi-pap). Is this too many? He hasn't been to his sleep doctor since the first month he got it, so I told him he needs to go. I'm concerned though, since I know that same doctor told me that he doesn't get concerned unless it's more than 5.

What the doc said.

Also, in my personal experience, I got a lot of reported CAs early on, and they've largely gone, I guess as I've adjusted.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would say the doc is probably correct as it's under 5, which is medically treated. Regardless, if you get that SD card you may post the Sleepyhead or OSCAR data and we can tell you what we see. If you've not done so, you might want to obtain a hard copy of the sleep study and post a redacted version here too. That is a full report not a one page summary.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I'll look into getting a report, but I have a feeling he only has a summary, if that. He's not nearly as good as I am at keeping track and researching all my medical issues. He was in denial about the sleep apnea for quite a while.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2019, 07:23 AM)theres126 Wrote: I haven't seen my husband's initial sleep study report, but I finally got his machine so I can see what his report is every morning (they had it set for the bare minimum), and it looks like his AHI is 2-3, but they are pretty much all Clear Airways (or Centrals, according to his Resmed Bi-pap). Is this too many? He hasn't been to his sleep doctor since the first month he got it, so I told him he needs to go. I'm concerned though, since I know that same doctor told me that he doesn't get concerned unless it's more than 5.

Would love some input.

Also, he doesn't have an SD card in the machine, I just noticed, so I'm going to get one so he can post through Sleepyhead.

By the way - can you have two people's sleepyhead data on one computer?

Thanks-
Theresa

Did he experience central apneas during his sleep study? If not, I wouldn't be too concerned with this small amount but we would need to see his Oscar charts first. The machine flag a lot of stuff as CA that are not real central apneas. Most of the time, you are awake and not sleeping but the machine doesn't have any way to tell.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can create multiple profiles in Oscar, which is based on Sleepyhead. I don’t know if SH allowed that, but if not, it might be time to update to Oscar.
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP results are good enough that I don't think we need to look at much more than a daily detail of his CPAP data results. A few central apnea are very normal, especially during the transition when one is adapting to the use of CPAP, and those results suggest his machine is properly calibrated to his needs. That said, it would help to know his minimum and maximum pressure and EPR settings, and what his median and 95% pressure is during the night.

Be assured the results you describe are actually quite good, and CA events normally diminish over the first month of therapy as they are usually just sleep disruption or sleep transitions.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2019, 09:12 AM)ragtopcircus Wrote: You can create multiple profiles in Oscar, which is based on Sleepyhead. I don’t know if SH allowed that, but if not, it might be time to update to Oscar.

My computer is too old - doesn't meet the specs for the IOS and I can't update it yet, lol
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2019, 09:22 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: CPAP results are good enough that I don't think we need to look at much more than a daily detail of his CPAP data results.  A few central apnea are very normal, especially during the transition when one is adapting to the use of CPAP, and those results suggest his machine is properly calibrated to his needs.   That said, it would help to know his minimum and maximum pressure and EPR settings, and what his median and 95% pressure is during the night.

Be assured the results you describe are actually quite good, and CA events normally diminish over the first month of therapy as they are usually just sleep disruption or sleep transitions.

He's actually been on it almost a year - I just found out how to change it so we can see his full report last week!
Post Reply Post Reply
There are on-screen reports and you can copy the settings and post the information. We can help you without the OSCAR data, but it does make things easier. If we can start over, it would be very helpful if you could tell us his machine model (Aircurve 10 Vauto?), mode, and pressure settings. Let u know what his usual results are for OA, CA, H events. the solution may be quite simple.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 47 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 118 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  New to CPAP - Could Use Some Help For Treatment chrotteg 8 278 03-10-2024, 05:51 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  New user struggling with treatment bsroberts 0 196 03-04-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: bsroberts
  Please help with treatment review DaveL 862 53,007 03-04-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  New here, trying to optimize treatment sweetbobby 10 579 03-03-2024, 10:20 AM
Last Post: sweetbobby

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.