Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Apnea clusters - cause?
Apnea clusters - cause?
I am attaching some screenshots from a session last night.  My normal setup is a Resmed machine (previously S9 and now A10) with a nasal mask (Mirage Activa LT). For some years this has given me reasonable results (AHI normally below 1, sometimes 0) but with some large leaks. On moving to the A10 I noticed that the pressures where higher, as were the leaks.  It was suggested that I try a full face mask there was some evidence that the leaks were due to me opening my mouth during the therapy.

These pictures were from a session with a Fisher & Paykel viterra full face mask and used with my second CPAP  -- a Philips Respironic travel machine.  On the previous night I had used the Resmed A10 with similar results - I chose this screenshot as it showed the problem more clearly (the Resmed run had more leaks which might confuse the picture a bit). Note the incredible number of Apneas that have occurred in a fairly short timespan.  Last week I did another test with an Resmed F20 mask and got a similar cluster but that one was in a large leak event and hence were reported as unknown type apneas.

I have never had massive apnea clusters before. Normally they occur in ones or twos - never in a cluster over close to an hour.  I definitely had a terrible night!! 

Why should a change to a full face mask cause issues like this?  I found it very disturbing. Any help in working out what is happening would be very mach appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Apnea clusters - cause?
G'day elliotg. Clusters like that are usually caused by poor sleeping posture - in particular tucking the chin down to the chest and causing compression on the wind-pipe. If it's come on suddenly, there may be a cause such as a new mattress or pillow, perhaps sleeping on your back rather than your side, etc. I think it's unlikely the mask has caused it.

There's a very detailed write-up of the condition here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea and here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
Post Reply Post Reply
In early 2014 I had already lost a lot of weight and did a sleep study. I still had sleep apnea, but I aced it.

Before I even got my sleep report, my numbers went bonkers with clusters of long duration OA’s. I stumbled onto a suggestion that a cervical collar can help keep an airway open based on a theory that the neck is tilted back for CPR. Had never heard of chin tucking back then.

I tried one and it solved the problem with clusters. I can only guess that losing the weight caused it, but it just happened out of nowhere.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
These suggestions seem very helpful.. I will get a collar and give it a go!

Elliot
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 617 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Symptoms] Could These OSA Clusters Be Positional? Kaluni 0 86 03-18-2024, 03:42 PM
Last Post: Kaluni
  Help Interpreting Oscar Charts - Huge Clusters of OA Heaviside 3 378 02-22-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Cheyne Stokes Respiration and Central Apnea Clusters Aldiorg 8 825 02-19-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,062 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Will an ASV machine help eliminate my CSA/CSR clusters ? barney999 8 1,001 07-12-2023, 01:28 AM
Last Post: barney999
  [CPAP] CA Clusters MoritzP99 34 2,150 03-13-2023, 03:20 AM
Last Post: MoritzP99

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.