Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What keeps waking me up? ResMed ASV
What keeps waking me up? ResMed ASV
The past 3 nights, I've woken up in the middle of the night and my data looks the same for every night. I sleep fine for 2-3 hours but then I wake up and can't get back to sleep. This period of time also appears to be where most of my events occur. I have no idea how to interpret it, any idea whats going on?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What keeps waking me up? ResMed ASV
If I'm not mistaken, I had to deal with a similar set of disturbances like this. Mine happened last time about 2 years and 3 months ago, or about 1 month after I started on ASV. I don't recall what it actually was, but I'm thinking it had something to do with positional changes and/or sleep stage changes with accompanying pressures elevating to the point it caused a disruption in sleep. For me to get over this, I had to try my best to go back to sleep mask on as soon as I could. I was able to get used to the way the ASV went about its business in a short time.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you ever tried nasal pillows? That's what I use and I really like them a lot, but I've been wondering if I might have more success using a nasal mask or full mask. I did get a cervical collar but it was very uncomfortable on the sides of my neck, so I'm gonna try to customize it so it's basically just under my chin and not on the sides and back of my neck.

Another question (See attached file) This is how my sleep usually looks. Is this how it should look? All of those ski slopes? 

Current Settings:
Min Epap: 6 <-- Raising to 7
Max Epap: 15
Min PS: 3 <-- Seems low?
Max PS: 15

Post Reply Post Reply
BTW: I sleep on my side like this

Post Reply Post Reply
The wake up is about 1.5 hrs after going to sleep is it at the end of a REM cycle ?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2020, 12:44 AM)jaswilliams Wrote: The wake up is about 1.5 hrs after going to sleep is it at the end of a REM cycle ?

I'm not sure, how would I determine that?
Post Reply Post Reply
Obviously the machine sees it as obstructive and increases EPAP pressure as well as pressure support with almost no effect. The nasal pillows are not the problem, and I don't think a nasal mask would help here Usually with obstructive clusters we would suggest the soft cervical collar as a possible solution. I think it may be worth a try. The positional apnea and soft cervical collar wikis include examples of members on ASV that used the soft collar. I wish I had asked for a zoom on the flow rate when I posted those examples to better see how similar the respiration response was.

In your case, I see an inhale without exhale at the start on each UA, and an exhale at its termination. It may well be breath holding rather than obstruction, and if that is the case, I don't know an easy solution (collar or pressure), and it becomes a sleep behavior you're not aware or in control of.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
On the masks, I have ResMed F20 silicone and memory foam, a nasal/N30i that I swap in pillows/P30i cushions. I have very little time on the N/P30i due to my mouth breathing. Just as info in answer to the question. FWIW if a mask is fit and adjusted proper, any mask is capable of dealing with ASV pressures.

I believe what it is that you're dealing with in part, is breath holds when you change sleep positions. If that's the case, the best thing I can suggest is somehow trying to get back to sleep after the disturbances.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Muziccity, I have an idea you can try. Let's assume that these events derive from movement rather than obstruction. If that is the case, it might be the increase in EPAP that is disrupting your sleep. Try changing the EPAP range from 6-15 to only 6-9 and let's see if that helps.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW I can see that working for this even if it's a temporary fix. Now that I think on it after early oldtimers clears a bit, I did drop my EPAP Max from 15 down to 12 fairly early in my ASV use, then bumped it to 13 sometime later. I kept it there and all was fine. Best wishes it helps muziccity and let us know if it helps.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Waking up 10+ times a night Valtor 0 28 1 hour ago
Last Post: Valtor
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 284 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 156 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 394 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 259 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 191 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 305 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.