Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What kind of communication did you get fr doctor/DME starting CPAP?
I'm at the beginning of my CPAP treatment process (I refuse to say "journey" ha ha) and the only reason I got information from my doctor and DME is that I forced it out of them. However, I'm seeing that many people aren't receiving quality information about the whole sleep apnea/CPAP process and/or proper expectations from their doctor/DME either.
Post Reply Post Reply
My experience here in Australia was first being coerced by my long-suffering wife to consult my GP about possibly having sleep apnea. He simply referred me to a sleep clinic, which in fact was just a Resmed retailer. They fitted me up with a home test upon which results they said yes, you do have sleep apnea requiring treatment. They then sent me home with a Resmed APAP for a few nights, analysed the results and declared I need a CPAP running at this or that pressure. They sold me a Resmed S9 fixed pressure machine, after which I attended several follow-up consults over two or three weeks, during which the data was analysed off the card and the machine tweaked.

That was about ten years ago and I haven't spoken to a health professional about my apnea, other than to complain that it hasn't helped my fatigue, whereupon they nod sagely before sending me for blood or other tests again, always inconclusive. At no point have I been referred to the sleep clinic again, nor do I want to be. I have since replaced my machine twice, at my own cost, and set it according to my experience and the help of folks in here.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What kind of communication did you get fr doctor/DME starting CPAP?
My original sleep doctor and before I knew the Apnea Board existed.
So you snore, you need a sleep test.
After the test...
Yes, you have sleep apnea.
Yada. Yada. Yada.
Trust Me!
Yada. Yada. Yada.
They will contact you before delivering your machine.
Stop by the desk on the way out to schedule another appointment in 90 days.

On the 90-day visit...
Nurse: Did you bring the card? The nurse runs a compliance report.
Doctor: Looks ok.
Stop by the desk on the way out to schedule another appointment in 6 months.

After finding the Apnea Board and changing sleep doctors, I now present data, ask questions, demand answers, and control the encounter. Thanks SuperSleeper and fellow participants.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Very little; told me that I had to use a full face mask; that didn't work. I have used a N30i for the past year, works great That was the last time I have visited either my sleep doc or the dme.
Post Reply Post Reply
Very little from the DME. My ENT is my sleep doc. When I he said I was getting a machine, he told me the DME would tell me what they thought I should know. Once I learned how to turn it on, then come see him for the real answers. I never saw my DME again. After about 5 months when I tried to get parts, I found they had gone bankrupt - Total Sleep. So we had an expedited sleep study, and I got my replacement machine about 2 weeks later. This DME is decent and does respond to my questions.

My sleep doc is totally on board with apneaboard and OSCAR. I bring him the summary printout every time I see him and we go over it. HE has actually told me he gets more info from that than if i brought in my card.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nothing from either. They saw I was below 5 AHI they were done.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
I got nothing but a prescription. Took that to the medical warehouse with settings of 8/20, brought it home & was very disappointed. Found this board, took that unit back (was defective & nearly cost me a lung), then got a new one. Now, looks like that one's not working either
Post Reply Post Reply
I went to my primary care doctor about snoring and severe sleepiness throughout the day, He recommended an in lab sleep study. The sleep tech told me I had OSA and sent me on my way. My primary care then wrote my CPAP prescription and I was referred to the DME. No other interactions with doctors or sleep techs since then.
Post Reply Post Reply
My CPAP supplier is a locally owned business and they are beyond fantastic. When I received my diagnosis, the NP at the sleep institute explained all my options and stated CPAP is the “gold standard”. Less than a week later, I’m at the supplier meeting with the RT who fitted me for a mask, explained how to use the ResMed AS10 for Her and reviewed cleaning instructions for the supplies. The RT at the supplier called me the next day, one week and two weeks later. This place has been extremely helpful and kind. They return calls quickly too. Heck, in March I educated the RT about Bleep Dreamports as she had a patient who was having several problems with masks. She was blown away by that product. In June when I had my annual appointment the sleep NP was impressed with my knowledge from not just this board but from a couple of extremely helpful YouTube channels. She had no problem whatsoever with me handling my own treatment since I managed to get it dialed in.
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on low O2 sat levels (Wellue O2Ring) during the night, after seeing the numbers and the graphs, my PCP (Dr. of Osteopathic Medicine) scheduled a sleep study. At the sleep study I only encountered the technician administering the test. Same on the titration on the second visit, only the technician. My PCP gave a recommendation for a DME which I used. One month before COVID really took hold, the DME's respiratory therapist came to my home, went through setup and operation of a DS1 and fitted me for a full face mask (mouth breather). The hospital I use has a sleep/pulmonary dept and several doctors, but I never saw or spoke to one. One of them did review my sleep study however and make the recommendations.
I did the Medicare review thing with my PCP at the required time, but on subsequent checkups he has not asked how I was doing with the CPAP therapy (one of these days I intend to post an OSCAR chart on this board to get opinions. AHI's generally below 1.5 or so)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,714 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 523 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 671 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Seeing large number of clear airway events after starting new medication PapaColin 5 323 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  What kind of breathing is this? sprinter 3 412 01-05-2024, 01:54 PM
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 933 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.