Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What makes my FFM do push-ups on my face?
What makes my FFM do push-ups on my face?
I use a full face mask and a Resmed S9 VPAP Auto with pressures of min EPAP-14, max IPAP-22, PS-5. I also take my humidifier reservoir out of the humidifier in the morning and at night top it off and put it back in the humidifier..

The other night I awoke after several hours sleep with my FFM doing push-ups on my face. This is unusual. Usually the transitions from EPAP to IPAP and vice versa are very gentle but they had become more harsh. I did not notice until after I had gotten up and went back to bed that the humidifier tank was sitting next to my VPAP. Oops I topped the tank off with distilled water and put it in the humidifier, donned the mask and turned the VPAP on. No pushups for the rest of the night.

Another thing I have found that causes my FFM to do pushups was when I switched back from a nasal pillows mask that I was trying out, to my FFM and forgot to change the mask type setting in the VPAP.

Just in case anyone runs into these situations. Of course, I am sure that no one is as forgetful as I am.

Enjoy your PAPing and sleep well.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What makes my FFM do push-ups on my face?
Or maybe an octopus has taken residence in your mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
My S9 Autoset has an EPR Inhale setting option accessed through the Clinician Menu -> Options -> EPR Inhale. Its setting determines how fast the inhale pressure ramps up from the exhale pressure. The two settings are "Med" and "Fast". The "Fast" mode will make my mask do exactly as you described. Poke around and see if you have a setting like this on your VPAP.

-Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a setting something like that on my S9 VPAP Auto but it allows you to set the rise time approximately in terms of milliseconds. It is not active, however, when using Easybreathe which is used by default in the auto mode. It can be used in the S mode and I could easily make my mask do push-ups using that adjustment with a PS of 5.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Payton: I was going to suggest that you double check that easybreathe setting. I'm using the same machine, mask and very close to the same settings as you.
As for the tank removed: I would think you get a faster rise-fall time without the tank as there are fewer curves in the air path. I have gotten into the habit of leaving the humidifier lid unlatched during the day. Keeps me from running a dry tank; or a missing tank to have to check and latch before maskup. (Yeah, I'm not forgetful.)

Mongo
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I was thinking it may also be related to the increase in dead air space....between settings and more volume to pressurize vs. what it would expect, perhaps it makes the machine "overshoot" the transition between the ipap and epap resulting in "push-ups" Wink
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Newton's third law - every force has an equal and opposite reaction. The straps that hold your mask can not resist the pressures caused by your inhale and exhale, especially with different IPAP and EPAP pressures. I have the Aircurve 10 and have the same symptoms. Try tightening your mask and the movement will stop, however my mask is not very comfortable at that tension (FFM). I even experience the sensation with the F & P Brevida mask, can tighten and still comfortable, less noticeable than the back and forth movement.
Post Reply Post Reply
It needed the exercise? I think you answered the question - humidifier chamber not in and incorrect mask setting. Its the little things, especially at higher pressures.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good questions and answers, Thanks guys.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 520 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
Angry [Health] I have to tighten my mask so badly that my face gets puffy... CantSleepWell 10 595 02-11-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 169 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
  Low o2 with full face mask Eabhainn 2 264 02-09-2024, 10:43 AM
Last Post: ItsComplicated
  Full face mask tightness pushing jaw back and leaks wickedsleepy 11 746 02-07-2024, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.