Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What most effects Aerophagia
RE: What most effects Aerophagia
Sleepster,

Sound advice. What about just removing any Flex/EPR would the reduction in spread between EPAP/IPAP have any positive effect on Aerophagia? I ask because my doctor made a comment, I need to ask him again on my next visit, that often times he sees a benefit on fixed CPAP no exhilation relief.

I think your main point of finding the balance between comfort and effacy of treatment is where I'm heading. The hard part is trying to scientifically arrive at that point without spending months adjusting. Until then the games shall continue.

Thanks for the help.

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply
Surprisingly, at least to me, the mask you are using can be a factor too.

I've been testing some different nasal pillows (I normally use the F&P SimPlus FFM), and have found a dramatic difference between the Swift FX and the AirFit P10. The Swift FX was my first mask. No wonder I had such bad aerophagia when I first started.

I wrote a brief comparison here, under "Perceived Force of Pressure": AirFit P10 Review Thread
Quote:What a pleasure! Using the Swift Fx, it is questionable as to whether I would consider using a nasal pillow with my current pressure settings. The AirFit P10 is entirely comfortable. I do have some noticeable ear issues, but I feel certain that is something I will adapt to; with the Swift FX, the ear issues are intolerable. Same with aerophagia. MUCH less air-swallowing with the P10. I could feel a sensation that made me think air 'might' be going down my throat, but with the Swift FX it was clearly going down (while awake and upright too!) and I was suffering with air in my tummy afterwards. Not so with the P10.
Post Reply Post Reply
Every mask, machine setting, can affect it.
Anything that affects the pressure can change things, masks have different vents, these can also affect things, not by much, but different types of masks from Nasal Pillows to Full-faced masks will change things.
Machines can also play a big factor, a CPAP in theory should be a lot worse than an APAP, but it appears it does not always work the way you would expect.  Higher pressures of course will be worse, those that suffer from Acid Reflex might be a bit more prone to it, you would think anyway, but again, that is not always the case!
I think new users are more prone to it that seasoned users, but there are still some that have used it for more than ten years complain about it.  It just appears that if you are prone to it you have a problem and those lucky enough not to have it wonder what all the fuss is about.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I never thought about the mask.......might have to revisit some of the ones I have that I tried in my early days. The Dreamwear is so comfortable though!

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-03-2017, 04:51 PM)GuppyDRV Wrote: What about just removing any Flex/EPR would the reduction in spread between EPAP/IPAP have any positive effect on Aerophagia?

It would make it worse. Most likely.

Quote:The hard part is trying to scientifically arrive at that point without spending months adjusting.

Trying different things to see what works best is a process of scientifically arriving at a solution. Others have tried similar things in the past, so we know what tends to work, but until you try them on yourself you won't know.

Quote:Thanks for the help.

You're welcome. Aerophagia can be painful!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2017, 03:08 PM)GuppyDRV Wrote: I found it hard to breath with the machine with Aflex above 1 (my breath would be cut short in an unnatural manner). My CA index also goes up with higher Aflex. My doctor indicated that reducing the spread between EPAP and IPAP by lowering Aflex or turning it off might actually reduce Hypopnea, that was not the case with my one night experiment. My Obstructive index is completely controlled with an EPAP of 7.5 which is achieved with a fixed pressure of 9 and Aflex 1 on the PR machine as the reduction is exactly 1.5 for me. My thought had been if 7.5 worked then setting 8 fixed no Aflex would control the Obstructive, the reduction in IPAP would help with reducing CA and Aerophagia and finally turning of Aflex would help the Hypopnea index remain constant and low as before even though I had reduced pressure.

So......good news the Aerophagia was definitely helped, I could even feel this while lying in bed breathing. No feeling of developing fullness etc.... The bad news....my numbers fell apart and I slept poorly. So much so that in the middle of the night I set my old numbers back to salvage a nights sleep.

A CPAP guru I am not......now what?

GuppyDRV

I went back to 8 fixed no flex after my last trip. It took three nights but AHI settled down around 1.5 with Aerophagia 80% or more reduced. Side note my other sleep indicator of REM/Deep Sleep increased, see other thread, and I feel noticeably better. I had not been feeling as well rested as I believe I should have been despite the low AHI. So all total now just less than 20 days of experimenting and moving in the right directions. Getting the pressure down has helped! Maybe no flex has helped but I have no proof. I'm just speculating that the changing pressure with flex effected Aerophagia and constant pressure without helps. Again no proof, maybe someone far wiser might have an explanation. I'll keep updating if anything new develops.

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply
I doubt anyone can be wiser than you are in figuring out what works best and gives the the best rest and acceptable results. Your approach to experimenting in a narrow range and using different comfort settings is very sound. Always listen to yourself first. Nice to hear things are moving the right direction.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 605 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 439 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,648 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 11 524 02-19-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Treatment] UARS with Aerophagia and a High Leak Rate, what next? Adam0410 9 409 02-14-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 216 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Ohmy Aerophagia is making me lose my mind urachan 9 850 01-01-2024, 05:01 AM
Last Post: airwaystent

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.