Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What new C/A PAP device to gift
What new C/A PAP device to gift
Hello All, Happy Thanksgiving.
I'm looking to do a splurge gift for my Sister for Christmas.   As she goes back and forth to Florida, I know that a CPAP to leave there would be very welcome.  Need your help to make sure that I buy her the right one.

I took pictures of her current machine - it reads "Philips Respironics REMstar Pro C-Flex +".  She's happy with it.  It has a humidifier.  Don't know how to tell if the hose is heated, but that's a setting?  
Would a Phillips Dreamstation like I have be good?  Specifically a Phillips DreamStn AutoPAP DSX500T11C.  Want her to be able to use the same hose and mask as her current machine, and be data and Sleepyhead capable.  She appears to be on a fixed setting but I would want to buy an APAP so it could be used either way in the future. 

If I have to provide a copy of a prescription on-line, I think that I can use mine... 

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What new C/A PAP device to gift
If it's the DreamStation she would have to get a new hose if she wanted a heated one.

Others will say that the ResMed AirSense 10 is the better choice.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
amazon seems to be the best prices without much effort. The dreamstation auto is a bit lower cost than the resmed auto. The dreamstation seems to need a finer tune than the resmed. Both machines can determine the best treatment pressure range or will tell the right fixed pressure to use. Encourage her to join this forum. I would lean towards the resmed.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm pretty sure that her's is a 560 series. The Dreamstation uses a different heated hose. You might consider getting an out-of-box one from an online supplier if you want something new. They are still selling them. So long as the machine meets your prescription settings, the online retailers can sell you whatever you want.
Post Reply Post Reply
While the Resmed has a few small advantages, it does use a different algorithm and different pressure relief.  The DreamStation will feel close to what she has now.  For me, if I was going back and forth that similarity would be a deciding factor.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for responding.  I'm done with jury duty now so I have time to make a decision.

Chill, a very good point.  She is used to what she has.  She's had it for quite awhile, some years - when it's replaced some day under her insurance I don't know what she'll get but I'll make sure that I'm involved in that conversation.  

When I snuck a peek at her AHI it was in the 2.3 to 2.7 range.  I'd like to see her be lower, as I feel best when mine is under 1.0,.  And she's still taking naps.  Ajack, unusually, since she's very techy, she has expressed no interest in the forum that I've raved about, or even DreamMapper.  With the SD card I may be able to pique her interest in the numbers on Sleepyhead. 

Then there is the thought in my little mind that I could go with the ResMed AirSense 10 and give her my Dreamstation for Florida... maybe not a pure Christmas spirit thought, though.  Unsure  And I think that I'm doing ok with what I have.  Perhaps it's time to post some screenshots for review (yes, leaks abound).  I've turned this into being about me!   

I think I'll check out open boxes (good idea, Mosquitobait), get the ResMed Airsense , and ask her to try it for a month.  If she doesn't like it I'll trade her.  Kind of like to buy the best if buying.  The money difference over the years of use doesn't add up to much.  (And yes, I really want to try it, I admit...) 

All comments welcome...

[Image: Taosh0bl.png]

[Image: AbqMXPul.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Your numbers look good. However, you seem to have too many leaks. Spending a little more time on adjusting your mask will help with your numbers hopefully reducing your flow limitation. What type of mask are you using?
Post Reply Post Reply
It is not legal to use your prescription to purchase medicine or medical devices and doing so might have adverse consequences if you are using any form of insurance -- especially Medicare. Or there is a medical issue associated with the use of that particular machine.

You could arrange for a gift certificate (refundable if not used) from most reputable suppliers. Or you could luck out, and they will not ask for a prescription at all.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm using the ResMed Airfit P10 for her, size XS.  

Have used the Mask Primer info (xs seems right), watched youtube videos, and tried the small and medium pillows.  Also tried one of my Sister's full nose mask - couldn't breathe with that.  Not a mouth breather unless I need to yawn or for extra exhale.  (And to check that the APAP is actually on!)

I have what seem to be permanent dents in my head from the straps so they're not too loose.  I wash the straps once a week to reset their tension.  I switch from right side to back as I can't sleep on my right side all night.  Usually use a baby travel pillow to mitigate chin tucking.

I'm not happy about the flow limitations, think I have to do more research there.  Do you think that some machines are better at that than others?
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's a close-up of a flow limitation

[Image: kyGrGmml.png]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,036 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 974 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Replacement Device and Leaks jtardo 3 364 01-15-2024, 11:04 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  New Device Looking for Insite. Jesmitty88 3 404 12-09-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Question [Equipment] BEFORE YOU TRUST ANY COMMERCIAL NON-FDA DEVICE srlevine1 0 326 12-06-2023, 02:04 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [News] INGESTIBLE MIT DEVICE TO DETECT OSA? srlevine1 1 354 11-20-2023, 12:12 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Been struggling with my device, would appreciate some advice pamphlet 7 896 09-16-2023, 02:10 AM
Last Post: pamphlet

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.