Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What on Earth is Going on with my Pressure?
Question 
What on Earth is Going on with my Pressure?
Hi Everyone,

Looking for some insight here. Last night my pressure went way up and I'm not sure why. Recently I think my trend has been a little bit higher than usual. But this usually meant rarely over 14.

Last night it looks like I hit 18/19!

Is it possible for high pressure on my machine to cause my chest to be a little sore/tight?

OSCAR images attached. Thank you so much in advance for your help. 
Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.pdf   Sleep 1_4_21.pdf (Size: 517.8 KB / Downloads: 0)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What on Earth is Going on with my Pressure?
a few suggestions.

post new screenshots after clicking the triangle next to the date to hide the calendar, exposing the stats below.

retake the screenshots after the pin/unpin dialog box disappears.

I'm not sure why you posted the 12/31 screenshot except maybe for comparison (but they aren't the same graphs). instead, I suggest you include a screenshot zoomed into the area of high pressure on 1/3. you can set the view scale by moving the slider at the bottom of the daily/events tab in oscar.

based on what I see, pressure could have risen because of flow limitations and/or leaks but my guess is not. other areas of flow limitations did not produce the same level of pressure rise. leaks could be the cause or the result of higher pressure, and they're minor anyway.

in the realm of speculation: the flow rate in the area in question is lower in amplitude than much of the rest. it may be that you were in a particularly deep sleep at that time, with the muscle/tissue relaxation/paralysis that results, increasing flow limitations and raising pressure. flow limitations aren't particularly bad but appear to be the worst of the night at that time. a closer view of the flow rate in that area might show unflagged flow limitations (or something else entirely).
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2022, 05:25 PM)sheepless Wrote: a few suggestions.

post new screenshots after clicking the triangle next to the date to hide the calendar, exposing the stats below.

retake the screenshots after the pin/unpin dialog box disappears.

I'm not sure why you posted the 12/31 screenshot except maybe for comparison (but they aren't the same graphs). instead, I suggest you include a screenshot zoomed into the area of high pressure on 1/3. you can set the view scale by moving the slider at the bottom of the daily/events tab in oscar.

based on what I see, pressure could have risen because of flow limitations and/or leaks but my guess is not. other areas of flow limitations did not produce the same level of pressure rise. leaks could be the cause or the result of higher pressure, and they're minor anyway.

in the realm of speculation: the flow rate in the area in question is lower in amplitude than much of the rest. it may be that you were in a particularly deep sleep at that time, with the muscle/tissue relaxation/paralysis that results, increasing flow limitations and raising pressure. flow limitations aren't particularly bad but appear to be the worst of the night at that time. a closer view of the flow rate in that area might show unflagged flow limitations (or something else entirely).

Okay thanks so much. Attaching an updating view. Let me know if this is what you were looking for.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
It looks to me the ResMed is increasing pressure to take action on the increased flow limits. The 2 areas with highest FL were matching highest pressures.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Changing your EPR setting from 1 to 3 will make a huge difference. EPR acts to reduce flow limits by supporting inspiration. You are going to be a lot more comfortable and pressure will vary less with EPR on 3.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2022, 06:42 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: It looks to me the ResMed is increasing pressure to take action on the increased flow limits. The 2 areas with highest FL were matching highest pressures.

Thank you for your response. Could you tell me a little more about flow limits? I'm not sure what they mean >_<.
Post Reply Post Reply
They're the lowest level event but they don't get flagged, aren't timed, and if unchecked will become Hypopnea or full Apnea. Your best tool against them is your EPR like Sleeprider's suggested. If you turn EPR to 3, the pressure differential power behind this will lower the FL shaggy grass looking FL trace.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2022, 08:19 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: They're the lowest level event but they don't get flagged, aren't timed, and if unchecked will become Hypopnea or full Apnea. Your best tool against them is your EPR like Sleeprider's suggested. If you turn EPR to 3, the pressure differential power behind this will lower the FL shaggy grass looking FL trace.

Ah okay! The more you know! Thanks so much. Smile

(01-04-2022, 06:45 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Changing your EPR setting from 1 to 3 will make a huge difference.  EPR acts to reduce flow limits by supporting inspiration. You are going to be a lot more comfortable and pressure will vary less with EPR on 3.

Okay! Can do. I will give it a shot this evening. Smile! Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,646 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 925 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Pressure suggestions to reduce ear pressure? rv88 0 647 05-24-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: rv88
  What on earth do these wavy lines mean? fsc321 2 1,011 05-15-2023, 02:38 PM
Last Post: fsc321
  FFM HELP: no leaks, no nose bridge pressure and no headgear pressure on back of neck? koy23 6 1,558 01-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: koy23
  Is expiratory pressure relief similar to BiPAP on lower pressure settings? drmaestro 11 3,352 05-18-2020, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Pressure] Difference between EPAP set pressure and operational pressure brugerard 8 2,359 01-02-2020, 10:03 PM
Last Post: brugerard

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.