Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Respironics System One
Exclaimation 
Respironics System One
Replacing the pillows on the mask for the Respironics System One has been a nightmare. When I started on the CPAP my nasal pillows were fine, but over time they began to tear. Can I purchase any nasal pillow from any manufacturer to fix my problem?

I'm not very savvy with CPAPs.

In fact... I was kinda scared to come online and find some people that were struggling with me. It's not really my forté

Syl
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Respironics System One
Hi Syl, welcome to Apnea Board!

Unfortunately if you want to stick to the same model of CPAP mask, most of the nasal pillows are proprietary and are made to fit only the nasal pillows system they were designed for. So you'll have to get Swift FX pillows to fit your mask.

If you'd like to switch to a different type or model of mask, that's fine - you don't have to stick with what you're currently using. The PR System One machines can be used with just about any type of mask.

Many DMEs (Durable Medical Equipment suppliers) keep the pillows and masks in stock and you can purchase them online usually. Check out our CPAP Supplier List for commonly-used online suppliers.

Some manufacturers recommend replacing your nasal pillows once every 2-4 weeks, however many of us who use them have extended their life way beyond that. But if they're torn, you really need to replace them, otherwise you'll get leaks which will negatively affect your CPAP therapy.

Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sylbhann, WELCOME! to the forum! and what SuperSleeper said.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The System One is your machine. The Swift FX is your mask. You can use any mask you want with any machine.

Nasal mask parts that touch your face don't seem to last very long, even with regular cleaning. Swift FX is a popular mask and parts for it should be readily available.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, to answer your question, you can purchase any pillows from any manufacturer as long as it is designed to fit the dedicated mask that it is designed for. FX pillows goes w/ FX mask. LT pillows goes w/ a LT mask, etc. Any manufacture, (ResMed, Respironics, etc)>> all ok..

Usually the pillows portion of the mask systems deteriorate after a couple of months use. Maybe sooner or maybe longer, depending on your usage.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
question has been answered. which Respironics System One machine do you use?
the Resscan software listed in your profile don,t work with PRS1 machines .... designed for Resmed machines

SleepyHead software support PRS1 50 series machine (450, 550)
there is a patch to work with the 60 series machines (460, 560)
PRS1 Plus and SE models are not data capable machine just shows hours used
Post Reply Post Reply
If you get a nasal mask instead of a nasal pillow mask, the parts tend to last a lot longer.

Nasal masks go around the nose, instead of into or on the nostrils.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2012, 07:58 AM)Sylbhann Wrote: Replacing the pillows on the mask for the Respironics System One has been a nightmare. When I started on the CPAP my nasal pillows were fine, but over time they began to tear. Can I purchase any nasal pillow from any manufacturer to fix my problem?

Hi Sylbhann and welcome to the forum. We're just normal people who happen to wear CPAP masks when we sleep. Well, er, some of us, that is, are more normal than others.

Like others have told you, you purchase new nasal pillows for the brand of your mask (Swift FX) not the brand of your CPAP machine (Respironics).

The pillows themselves are designed to last for only two weeks, so they will definitely be the first thing to wear out on you. If you have insurance whoever supplied you with your CPAP gear should be sending you replacement parts like new pillows every two weeks and a new hose every three months. (These are the time periods set by Medicare, so a lot of insurance companies follow this replacement schedule).

The one thing you want to make sure of when you order new nasal pillows is that you get the size right. There will be 3 or 4 sizes that fit your mask, like large, medium, small, and maybe even a petite. You have to get the right size to match the size of your nose.

When you get a new mask (replacement period is 3 months) it usually comes with all the sizes so you can pick out the one you want. Even if you've been using one size you might want to switch to a different size just to see if it fits you better.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Board! The Swift FX is a great Mask. If you our comfortable with it I would suggest to just order new pillows, and if its past the time frame with your insurance order another mask. Always good to have a spare just in case and as mentioned above should come with new pillows. If you choose to order just the pillows the Swift FX will have a black letter on the left side, S, M, or L. This is the size indicator. Again if your mask has been working for you, I would stay with the same size. I use Medium and tried the Large while waiting for next delivery, noticed it leaked so stayed with the Mediums. Hope this helps!
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,621 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,073 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,303 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 382 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 300 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 231 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 789 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.