Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What other illness's do you have as well as the apnoea????
What other illness's do you have as well as the apnoea????
My partner has hypothyroidism & also carpal tunnel syndrome.....I have previously read of links with carpal tunnel & sleep apnoea....was wondering how many of you we're suffering with both, or once you got decent treatment of your apnoea, whether it resolved the carpal tunnel????

Nickynok
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What other illness's do you have as well as the apnoea????
(12-06-2012, 01:05 PM)Nickynok Wrote: My partner has hypothyroidism & also carpal tunnel syndrome.....I have previously read of links with carpal tunnel & sleep apnoea....was wondering how many of you we're suffering with both, or once you got decent treatment of your apnoea, whether it resolved the carpal tunnel????

Nickynok

I gave a description which you will find to the left under my user information. Most of this is also engraved on my Medic-Alert bracelet.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2012, 01:05 PM)Nickynok Wrote: My partner has hypothyroidism & also carpal tunnel syndrome.....I have previously read of links with carpal tunnel & sleep apnoea....was wondering how many of you we're suffering with both, or once you got decent treatment of your apnoea, whether it resolved the carpal tunnel????

Nickynok

I was diagnosed and treated for carpal tunnel in 1998; wasn't diagnosed with OSA until 2008. The surgery for carpal tunnel worked very well and I have had no problems since then.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had successful surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome and am being successfully treated nightly for sleep apnea.

Carpal tunnel syndrome is the disability that results from the median nerve being compressed inside the carpal tunnel, which is in the wrist/heel part of your hand. The median nerve is the only nerve inside the carpal tunnel.
The only possible link between carpal tunnel syndrome and sleep apnea is in the period of time when you are asleep. Your hand may become bent at the wrist during sleeping positions and compresses the median nerve until your fingers becomes numb or (asleep) and/or tingles.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
I too was diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in 1998 but I knew I had it many years before then, My Mother, Aunt and Grandmother have all had the surgeries and I had one in 2001 and the other in 2004, both hands have never had a problem since.

I've also known about having sleep apnea (and very loud snoring) since the early 1990's (but I've snored my entire life) when I first heard the term "apnea", it was a girlfriend that was also a NP (Nurse Practitioner) that really scared me about having it (it used to scare my ex-wife too), I started CPAP in 1998 after blowing $2500.00 for the Pillar Procedure in '97 that didn't help at all, I still have the 4 implants in my soft palate but they do nothing for sleep apnea or snoring.

I'd never heard of a link between the two and it puzzle's me as to how one could have any effect on the other...

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply
My brother had a surgery on his elbow where they moved the ulna nerve from the back to the front. It was highly inflamed and the doctor said usually this type of damage was from an injury. My bro has never injured that elbow BUT he does sleep on his back with his hands behind his head. All night. He'll lay down in the regular position but as soon as he goes to sleep, over he goes and up his arms go. The doc said it was possible that is what caused it.

I told him it was sympathy pains for me. I fell elbow first onto a cement floor a long time ago. He said he'd send me his medical bill.

I wonder if an enlarged thyroid gland would narrow the airway enough that it would increase the change of an obstructive apnea event? I wouldn't think so because the gland is much further down.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2012, 05:37 PM)TheWerkz Wrote: I too was diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in 1998 but I knew I had it many years before then, My Mother, Aunt and Grandmother have all had the surgeries and I had one in 2001 and the other in 2004, both hands have never had a problem since.

I've also known about having sleep apnea (and very loud snoring) since the early 1990's (but I've snored my entire life) when I first heard the term "apnea", it was a girlfriend that was also a NP (Nurse Practitioner) that really scared me about having it (it used to scare my ex-wife too), I started CPAP in 1998 after blowing $2500.00 for the Pillar Procedure in '97 that didn't help at all, I still have the 4 implants in my soft palate but they do nothing for sleep apnea or snoring.

I'd never heard of a link between the two and it puzzle's me as to how one could have any effect on the other...

Ren
I was in a hurry and I screwed-up my decades... It should have read:

I started CPAP in 2008 after blowing $2500.00 for the Pillar Procedure in 2007 that didn't help at all, I still have the 4 implants in my soft palate but they do nothing for sleep apnea or snoring.

What happened to the Edit button? Unsure

Ren

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2012, 07:23 PM)TheWerkz Wrote: What happened to the Edit button? Unsure

It has an expiration date.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-07-2012, 09:36 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(12-06-2012, 07:23 PM)TheWerkz Wrote: What happened to the Edit button? Unsure

It has an expiration date.

Yep, the more posts you make and the longer you've been a member, the longer the period of time you have to edit your own posts. The time is based upon which membership level you're currently at. See this post about membership levels.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yep.. The longer we have been members, the older that makes us, therefor the longer time frame is to help us older ones remember what it was that we were going to edit. That has to be some sort of discrimination. I was going to edit my post but it timed out on me..Dielaughing
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apparent worsening of symptoms during minor illness TryingToGetItRight 0 255 09-18-2023, 11:39 PM
Last Post: TryingToGetItRight
  Apnoea when moving between sleep stages? lindylou 2 442 08-11-2023, 12:37 AM
Last Post: lindylou
  New Sleep Apnoea test ordered. Ockrocket 11 958 07-30-2023, 04:27 AM
Last Post: Ockrocket
  Having surgery when you have sleep apnoea Hroot 31 2,573 03-20-2022, 09:48 PM
Last Post: cathyf
  CENTRAL APNOEA Pedrx 19 2,600 03-19-2022, 02:42 AM
Last Post: Pedrx
  Causes of Unknown Apnoea events? Ratchick 38 3,205 06-03-2021, 08:44 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Sleep apnoea pillow? Chalkie 8 1,433 05-22-2021, 12:56 PM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.