Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What part of Medicare covers CPAPs and supplies
What part of Medicare covers CPAPs and supplies
I've been on an Advantage plan since going on Medicare and I'm considering moving over to Medicare with a 20% Co-Ins and a Part D. My question is; Which part, or parts, of Medicare cover CPAP's and supplies, B or D?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What part of Medicare covers CPAPs and supplies
Don't hold me to it but I believe it is part B.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Part B covers CPAP supplies. Part D is for prescription drugs.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info. I was stumped about the mask and machine requiring a prescription.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
Medicare B does cover your DME needs. With the monthly charge $134 / month in 2019 deducted from Social Security to have Medicare B and with adding the purchase of a medi-gap policy to help with that 20% coverage, (mine is $124 monthly) multiplied twice to add my wife, it's eating $516 monthly out of SS to be insured. 

In this day and age I guess many of us have to do the math just to see if we can afford apnea and any other sickness & disease that comes along. Most of us can't, unfortunately.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2018, 07:40 AM)michael9346 Wrote: Medicare B does cover your DME needs. With the monthly charge $134 / month in 2019 deducted from Social Security to have Medicare B and with adding the purchase of a medi-gap policy to help with that 20% coverage, (mine is $124 monthly) multiplied twice to add my wife, it's eating $516 monthly out of SS to be insured. 

In this day and age I guess many of us have to do the math just to see if we can afford apnea and any other sickness & disease that comes along. Most of us can't, unfortunately.

Yep, and some folk have a misconception that Medicare is free and covers everything. Sad

Although, it’s cheaper for my hubby and myself now that we are retired than when we were working.
We had very high deductibles and copays and paid almost everything out of pocket.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2018, 10:36 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Thanks for the info.  I was stumped about the mask and machine requiring a prescription.

That is confusing, but Part D is for prescription drugs. Part B covers supplies.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For CPAP users, a memory aid:

B is for Breathing. D is for Drugs.

(Too late to suggest those to Sue Grafton ...)
Post Reply Post Reply
Part B, but be aware that your supplemental coverage may or may not cover cpap supplies. My brother has the Cadillac supplemental and all his supplies are covered. I have the cost plan and nothing is covered (just what Medicare pays). I am on Advantage for 2019, so that will likely stay the same for me next year.

Yeah, I bet Sue Grafton had lots of ideas. Smile B is for Breathing is a good one!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2018, 03:54 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: I am on Advantage for 2019, so that will likely stay the same for me next year.

I'm coming off an Advantage plan because, if I have to be admitted to a hospital, it can cost me up to $6700 per visit. I figured I might be pressing my luck.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 225 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  CPAP and Medicare and yearly Rx renewal silverchief2 8 273 04-08-2024, 06:58 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 33 10,396 03-29-2024, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Who Do You Get Your Supplies From? Fritz1255 2 176 03-29-2024, 09:28 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 220 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Eagerly seeking ancient CPAP part ! Visualist 3 339 03-12-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Visualist
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 257 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.