Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What's It Like When The Power Goes Out? Battery Backup (UPS)?
RE: What's It Like When The Power Goes Out??? Battery Backup (UPS)?
(10-29-2012, 05:09 PM)britincanada Wrote:
(10-29-2012, 04:50 PM)Ribman Wrote:
(10-20-2012, 09:50 PM)Sleepster Wrote: It's probably ok to go without for a couple of nights. But once you get used to CPAP therapy you may find it uncomfortable to go without.

I'm not taking any chances. But that's just me.

Sleeping without a CPAP is a very dangerous situation. Stokes do occur.

one or 2 nights without a cpap will not kill you it maybe uncomfortable for you but will not kill you

how long did you live without one

First off, thanks for this chat board because it is very informative and helpful. And it makes me feel not so alone like with others in dealing with chronic or severe health issues.

Second; It IS extremely dangerous to sleep or simply nap without a CPAP. That is why I had a sleep study and - quickly- put on this health aid. I am not morbidly obese but do have severe apnea. When I stop breathing I STOP breathing and it is almost impossible for me to catch a breath. After years of trudging and dealing with the Veterans style healthcare I know several who have died from this. Strokes, heart-attacks and etc. I have thrown neck and back discs out of place after waking up and trying to get a breath before CPAP use. Have had severe chest pains along with very very bad panic attacks and whatever from it. Have had hernias and tears from being on my knees or trying to flop into a position to get my breath. Combine any of that with instant migraines and vomiting on top of the myriad of things that can happen with sleep apnea. I think most people can imagine the mess one finds themselves in when confronted by those issues and what MORE they lead to a death scenario... or creating more serious conditions.

So, after wasting alot of money and time reading a bunch of false information and gimmicks over the years I came across this site. Mainly hunting for those good tips on electrical back-up and CPAP backup since my need is not hit or miss or so easy to dismiss from day to day. I live in the city limits and still have power outages and totally uncaring power service and phone. In the past few years in is common for me to have loss of service for up to two weeks or for days at a time before I am taken care of living on a dead-end road and not being someone elite. In severe weather I can't even get my mail or repair crews down my road. So I don't have faith in emergency services either because of the way things are here and the attitude of people. Doesn't matter if it is - life and death. So even if I tire, have sugar spikes or something that makes me sit down or relax I MUST have that machine on me.

I also need oxygen along with the humidifier but the VA will not allow it for me cause I don't fit into their specific treatment criteria for certain ailments. Plus, the VA health care, to me, is one big joke and uses us as guinea pigs.

However, after wasting time and money on all these sales scams about easy portable elec back-ups, does anyone know of any up-date or methods seeings how it is an older thread and we are now in 2013? The elec company had me fill out a form for their emergency use that is supposed to put me on a list for priority fix.. but they don't abide by it. Then they told me just a few weeks ago to find a good back-up since they cannot guarantee electric service or quick repair. And having to, or expected to pay some electrician a hundred or so bucks just for a consultation is a bit nuts to me.

I would really appreciate any new information or links to something I might be missing here. I just have too much on my plate to deal with besides this issue.

So to passively say in so many words that this is no big deal? Go a day or two without?

Thank you, and I'm glad I found this website!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What's It Like When The Power Goes Out? Battery Backup (UPS)?
I'm miserable when the power goes out. Using a computer backup device least helps me wake before losing complete power.

Had surgery a few years ago and had taken my cpap but the recovery room nurses didn't put it on. Woke up gasping for air with three or four nurses around me trying to stick a tube down my throat.
Post Reply Post Reply
(Copied from old forum)
http://s7.zetaboards.com/Apnea_Board/topic/8346065/4/

Hello, :Hi:

Here is my setup for Electrical Blackout...

[Image: img002ae.jpg]

[Image: img001to.jpg] [Image: img004y.jpg] [Image: img003wk.jpg]

I use a cheap Stanley plastic toolbox on wheel with folding handle to put my Optima 12VDC sealed battery, my charger, the DC/AC Inverter, wires, tester, fuses, etc. well everything I need concerning my DC Power Backup.

I leave it in the closet and when I need it, I just have to roll it near the bed, open the sliding bottom door and plug my CPAP on the 12 VDC plug..This is it and that's all!

And for more security I use a AGM Type Deep Cycle Sealed battery, those batteries does not suppose to exaust gas or acid but in case of...all acid spilling will stay in the plastic box (door close)

For maintenance:
Twice a year, I discharge completly the battery and recharge. I use a 300 W DC to AC inverter, full load with 3 X 100 Watts bulbs to discharge it. It's take about a hour to reach the auto-shutdown point on inverter. In this way you protect your battery from a too deep discharge. After I charge it with Automatic Marine Deep Cycle battery charger at 10 Amps, set on "GelCell Batteries".,It takes a few hours.

Then I can sleep with peace of mind all the night regardless of weather!

"Au revoir!"

Gustave
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2013, 02:03 PM)Bobshouse Wrote: I'm miserable when the power goes out. Using a computer backup device least helps me wake before losing complete power.

Had surgery a few years ago and had taken my cpap but the recovery room nurses didn't put it on. Woke up gasping for air with three or four nurses around me trying to stick a tube down my throat.

Hi!

Yeah that is not good! That in part is why I today I don't trust those so-called health care professionals. I've had a couple of procedures where they claimed they didn't have the room for a CPAP on me, or around for some reason then I told them not to give me the usual twilight shots or knock-out drops or whatever they give people to put them in la la land.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2013, 04:15 PM)Gustave Wrote: (Copied from old forum)

Hello, :Hi:

Here is my setup for Electrical Blackout...

I use a cheap Stanley plastic toolbox on wheel with folding handle to put my Optima 12VDC sealed battery, my charger, the DC/AC Inverter, wires, tester, fuses, etc. well everything I need concerning my DC Power Backup.

I leave it in the closet and when I need it, I just have to roll it near the bed, open the sliding bottom door and plug my CPAP on the 12 VDC plug..This is it and that's all!

And for more security I use a AGM Type Deep Cycle Sealed battery, those batteries does not suppose to exaust gas or acid but in case of...all acid spilling will stay in the plastic box (door close)

For maintenance:
Twice a year, I discharge completly the battery and recharge. I use a 300 W DC to AC inverter, full load with 3 X 100 Watts bulbs to discharge it. It's take about a hour to reach the auto-shutdown point on inverter. In this way you protect your battery from a too deep discharge. After I charge it with Automatic Marine Deep Cycle battery charger at 10 Amps, set on "GelCell Batteries".,It takes a few hours.

Then I can sleep with peace of mind all the night regardless of weather!

"Au revoir!"

Gustave

Thank You! That's a nice little set-up you have there. That will give me something to copy and play with. You mentioned DC to plug into. Is Canada like Europe then about using DC current instead of American AC? Where I would use an AC plug setup instead of your DC?

How long of a run time do you get from your set-up? Also, do you have any kind of off grid charging for your unit incase your power is off longer than a day or so?

I'll have to do some checking around to find a similar set-up on wheels. I've got a lot of tool boxes and seen many but not like that.

Thank you!

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dotell,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dotell

Welcome

Like you know, electrical voltage is the same in Canada as in USA, 120 VAC. But some place in Europe it's 220VAC, then you need a adaptor to run your CPAP on that voltage. Some CPAP are already equipped to do that, you have to check in your manual.

To use a 12VDC battery with my ResMed CPAP autoset S9, I use a special power block sold by ResMed: S9 DC/DC Converter 24V/90W Output (Part #36970). You MUST use that ResMed power block, not other kind, if you do not, you can broke your CPAP.

[Image: xz2i.jpg]

Why 24 VDC converter, because the S9 work on 24 VDC then if you use a 12VDC battery you have to bring it up to 24VDC (DC/DC Converter).

It's different for other model and brand. Some brand needs only a cord with 12V car lighter plug at one end and a connector at the other end.

I dont know what CPAP you have, because RemStar is a Respironics (Phillips) not a ResMed, like you mention in your description. Then you have to check on the web for your CPAP, may be you need only a 12 VDC cord.

With my CPAP run on fully charged battery, WITHOUT humidifier and set up like show in my personal information, I'm good for 3 good nights of 8 hours!

To check it before next night, I bought a cheap small "Battery Charge Checker".

I not recommend to use a AC/DC Inverter, because you loose too much energy to convert DC to AC then that drain the battery too fast and leave not enought energy for a complete night.

For the box it's a Stanley plastic toolbox on weels with folding handle brought in a popular large surface American store in Canada and in USA ....!

Au revoir!

Gustave Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2013, 07:38 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Dotell,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

Hello!

Thanks for the warm welcome! Much appreciated.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2013, 07:50 PM)Gustave Wrote: Hi Dotell

Welcome

Like you know, electrical voltage is the same in Canada as in USA, 120 VAC. But some place in Europe it's 220VAC, then you need a adaptor to run your CPAP on that voltage. Some CPAP are already equipped to do that, you have to check in your manual.

To use a 12VDC battery with my ResMed CPAP autoset S9, I use a special power block sold by ResMed: S9 DC/DC Converter 24V/90W Output (Part #36970). You MUST use that ResMed power block, not other kind, if you do not, you can broke your CPAP.

Why 24 VDC converter, because the S9 work on 24 VDC then if you use a 12VDC battery you have to bring it up to 24VDC (DC/DC Converter).

It's different for other model and brand. Some brand needs only a cord with 12V car lighter plug at one end and a connector at the other end.

I dont know what CPAP you have, because RemStar is a Respironics (Phillips) not a ResMed, like you mention in your description. Then you have to check on the web for your CPAP, may be you need only a 12 VDC cord.

With my CPAP run on fully charged battery, WITHOUT humidifier and set up like show in my personal information, I'm good for 3 good nights of 8 hours!

To check it before next night, I bought a cheap small "Battery Charge Checker".

I not recommend to use a AC/DC Inverter, because you loose too much energy to convert DC to AC then that drain the battery too fast and leave not enought energy for a complete night.

For the box it's a Stanley plastic toolbox on weels with folding handle brought in a popular large surface American store in Canada and in USA ....!

Au revoir!

Gustave Smile

Finally dug through all my paper-work and found the manual. Yep, on the back of the unit there is a DC plug-in that I can use with a specially ordered cord that hooks up to a cigarette lighter opening. And just states that that ''DC Power Consumption is ..... 12 VDC. 3.0 A max."

"AC Power Consumption... 100 - 240 VAC 50/60Hz, 1.0 A. Max.

Online it is the .. "Philips Respironics REMstar Pro 2 Legacy with Humidifier" But this model must be older and is now discontinued. Equipped for direct DC operation with cords with or without alligator clips."

Yep, you are right. They also sell the special items and batteries needed for the back-up for this specific model. Even though it is outdated. Kinda like me. I think I got this machine and started CPAP in 2007.

Thanks Gustave!

Thanks

I'm on a roll now and can get something going I can depend on and compact.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2013, 09:41 PM)Dotell Wrote: Yep, on the back of the unit there is a DC plug-in that I can use with a specially ordered cord that hooks up to a cigarette lighter opening.

And there is another cable that attaches to that cable and lets you connect your REMstar CPAP machine directly to the terminals of a 12-volt car battery.

There is still no technology available that will out perform the lead acid battery. Keep a couple on hand, along with a solar charger. In a pinch you can charge them up by installing them in a car. Not very efficient, but it beats going a night without CPAP.

Keep the humidifier turned off.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 107 5 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,790 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,824 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 200 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 229 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 249 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.