Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What's It Like When The Power Goes Out? Battery Backup (UPS)?
RE: What's It Like When The Power Goes Out? Battery Backup (UPS)?
I'm happy you found your informations Dotell !

For your CPAP:
Philips Respironics REMstar Pro 2 (Legacy) CPAP with C-Flex
Product Code: RSP1020923
[Image: u8ge.jpg]

You probably found:
1001956- DC Apater Cord (without aliigator clips)
[Image: jjs7.jpg]

1001979- Shielded DC Cord System (includes alligator clips)
[Image: lgle.jpg]

That's the parts you need to connect your CPAP on Battery.
To save money, you can built yourself the part of cord with aligator clips or put car connector in place of aligator clips, if you have screws on your battery, like mine.

Take a good size of wire and dont forget the right fuse, to protect yourself.

Good luck!

Au revoir! Smile

Gustave
Post Reply Post Reply
Have slept through several power outages , one 2 hours long . No problem .
Got rid of my ups systems , the last one was smoking /hot -threw it out the front door. Several others have told me same story.
The risk of fire was too much.
Post Reply Post Reply
Note that all of this works with Respironics machines because their native electricity supply is 12 volts DC.

ResMed users are not so lucky.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2013, 11:48 PM)Gustave Wrote: 1001956- DC Apater Cord (without aliigator clips)

Does anyone know what those two large barrel-shaped objects are that you see in the photo? My guess is that they are inductors, also called balast, and their function is to reduce or eliminate voltage spikes (surges) that might be created by, for example, your car's alternator when you've plugged your CPAP machine into your car's cigarette lighter socket.

If this is the case then it seems to me that during an outage you could safely use a gasoline-powered generator to run your CPAP machine. Plug a battery charger into the generator, connect it to your battery, and then connect your CPAP machine to the battery.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-28-2013, 08:25 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(09-27-2013, 11:48 PM)Gustave Wrote: 1001956- DC Apater Cord (without aliigator clips)

Does anyone know what those two large barrel-shaped objects are that you see in the photo?

Those two "large barrel-shaped objects" are a "Ferromagnetic core" and is use to "Shield" the power cord, to prevent interference with other electrical apparatus, like: TV's, Radios, Walkies-Talkies, Computers, CB's etc.

Those cores does not protect your CPAP against a voltage peak or surge.

And I dont recommend you to use a battery during charging, because car alternator or conventionnal generator does not produce a nice voltage curve. Sometimes you have a peak, ripples, etc. depending of RPM of motor and the capacity of Voltage Stabiliser Circuit to "Catch" it and correct the voltage. Then, you got fluctuation on your 12VDC and that's NO GOOD for all medical apparatus like your CPAP!

By the way, sometimes your house electricity is not constant too. I suggest to use a power bar with surge protection in Joules. Higher the number in Joules is, higher the protection is, check the capacity on a box, there are not all the same! For few dollars it's a good investment to protect you CPAP and the Data in it.

Au revoir!

Gustave Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2013, 10:59 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(09-27-2013, 09:41 PM)Dotell Wrote: Yep, on the back of the unit there is a DC plug-in that I can use with a specially ordered cord that hooks up to a cigarette lighter opening.

And there is another cable that attaches to that cable and lets you connect your REMstar CPAP machine directly to the terminals of a 12-volt car battery.

There is still no technology available that will out perform the lead acid battery. Keep a couple on hand, along with a solar charger. In a pinch you can charge them up by installing them in a car. Not very efficient, but it beats going a night without CPAP.

Keep the humidifier turned off.

Hi!

Okay I'll check into that too. Do you happen to have any experience with a solar charger? Living in West Central Indiana isn't great for solar or wind power here. The smaller and lower costing unit I've tried from on line or that people had here didn't work well either or as advertised, and some tried units didn't last a year, and couple of the solar panels themselves were not made very well to hold up to drastic weather changes here.

I already have a couple of vehicle batteries on stand-by for emergencies and such. I've learned my lessons well over the years about being totally prepared for anything. Especially for people like me who have that "Murphy's Law" lifestyle. LOL If anything can go wrong it will. 'And will in triplicate."

Thank you!!

Post Reply Post Reply

Does anyone know what those two large barrel-shaped objects are that you see in the photo? [/quote]

Those two "large barrel-shaped objects" are a "Ferromagnetic core" and is use to "Shield" the power cord, to prevent interference with other electrical apparatus, like: TV's, Radios, Walkies-Talkies, Computers, CB's etc.

Those cores does not protect your CPAP against a voltage peak or surge.

And I dont recommend you to use a battery during charging, because car alternator or conventionnal generator does not produce a nice voltage curve. Sometimes you have a peak, ripples, etc. depending of RPM of motor and the capacity of Voltage Stabiliser Circuit to "Catch" it and correct the voltage. Then, you got fluctuation on your 12VDC and that's NO GOOD for all medical apparatus like your CPAP!

By the way, sometimes your house electricity is not constant too. I suggest to use a power bar with surge protection in Joules. Higher the number in Joules is, higher the protection is, check the capacity on a box, there are not all the same! For few dollars it's a good investment to protect you CPAP and the Data in it.

Au revoir!

Gustave Smile
[/quote]

Ahhh, that is something else I wasn't thinking about until now. Or knew. I have surge protection on my computer but nothing else. They, the elec companies and contractors have been pushing, selling, things called "Whole House" surge protectors. A bit much for five hundred dollars plus installation fees. I had an older model I put in my garage but all it was was a canister looking thing like one of those shields on those cords you've shown with a wire going to the hot side and one to the ground. I never could understand how that was supposed to work for the whole house/garage and for a lightening strike. At least if I remember correctly that is how it was wired. Been years ago.

I'm surprised that we, In America, don't, yet, have to go spend a few hundred dollars for an office call to get a prescription from a doctor for those power items.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-28-2013, 03:46 PM)Gustave Wrote: Those two "large barrel-shaped objects" are a "Ferromagnetic core" and is use to "Shield" the power cord, to prevent interference with other electrical apparatus, like: TV's, Radios, Walkies-Talkies, Computers, CB's etc.

Do you know how a ferromagnetic core achieves the shielding?

I thought that shielding was accomplished by surrounding the conductor with a grounded conductor, such as you see in the case of coaxial cables.

Wrapping a wire around a ferromagnetic core, on the other hand, will choke off high frequency signals, and is sometimes referred to as a choke coil. It's an example of an inductor.

I can see how such a device would reduce voltage spikes and protect the CPAP machine. I don't see how it would prevent interference with other electrical devices, or even why such a prevention would be necessary.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2013, 08:20 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(09-28-2013, 03:46 PM)Gustave Wrote: Those two "large barrel-shaped objects" are a "Ferromagnetic core" and is use to "Shield" the power cord, to prevent interference with other electrical apparatus, like: TV's, Radios, Walkies-Talkies, Computers, CB's etc.

Wrapping a wire around a ferromagnetic core, on the other hand, will choke off high frequency signals, and is sometimes referred to as a choke coil. It's an example of an inductor.

Hi Hi Sleepster,
My goal here is not to make a technical debate, but I think is important to clarify a situation that can lead to breakage of somebody CPAP.

The wire is not wrapped around a ferromagnetic core, it's the ferromagnetic core "snapped around the cable in two pieces after the cable is made" that makes a difference for the "Choke", it's not a coil. That's why is a shield.
You are right when you say, it work like a choke, but only for high frequency signals. "Their goal in life is to reduce EMI (electromagnetic interference) and RFI (radio-frequency interference)" not for voltage surges, spikes or ripping coming out from running alternator or generator through a battery on charge mode. That's why that Shielded Power Cord does not protect your CPAP against that. To be safe, you must use your CPAP on a stable and constant source of 12 VDC from a battery that not on charge mode.

CPAP, like you know, is a delicate and precise medical apparatus, It have maintain high precision in it's settings and data. In fact it's need stable electronic circuit operation. An EMI and RFI can disturb that precision and to the CPAP does not work well. Power cord act like antenna and catch or/and emit EMI and RFI. It's for only that reason, that you need to have that kind of Shielded DC Power Cord.
You have same thing on computer wires...
And yet we must use anyway a power surge bar to protect it against fluctuations in electric network.

Get a look on that:

.pdf   HowStuffWorks _What are the bumps at the end of computer cables.pdf (Size: 20.75 KB / Downloads: 113)

That document is very interesting too:

.pdf   Sleep Apnea _ DC Power Accessories note.pdf (Size: 70.13 KB / Downloads: 149)

In that document, it's clear it's a "Shielded power DC Cord".
And if you could use the Power Cord safely on a battery on charge mode, Why talk like that in the red square?

Regards

Au revoir!

Gustave Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Gustave. Those are excellent sources and your interpretation is spot on.

So, I guess the best thing to do is to have two batteries available when extended grid outages are anticipated. One to run your CPAP, and the other to be connected to a charger. Then swap them out as needed.

Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 91 53 minutes ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,790 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,328 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,821 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 198 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 229 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Interference from battery charger in DC battery backup setup? Daxvex 3 249 01-22-2024, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Daxvex

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.