Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What's a "minute vent"?
What's a "minute vent"?
and moreover, is there a normative range for inhalation and exhalation?

and is it a 'minute'--i.e. tiny--or a minute--i.e. time oriented--vent?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What's a "minute vent"?
It's a respiratory term. It's the amount of air you ventilate in a minute.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. So my median minute vents hovers around 6; my median insp. time is around 1.80 and my median exp. is around 2.50. The exp (expiration I presume) is always a tad higher than my insp. (inspiration?).

Are these typical, normal numbers?
Post Reply Post Reply
Inspiration time is the average time you spend inhaling. Expiration time is the average time you spend exhaling. Tidal volume is the average volume you breath in per breath. Respiration rate is the average breathing rate/minute. Tidal volume * respiration rate gives you minute ventilation which is the average volume of air you breath per minute.

Inspiration rate is usually over 1 second and commonly around 1.5 seconds, expiration rate is usually around double the inspiration rate and 2.5-3 seconds is common. You have to take both statistics from OSCAR with a grain of salt because they can be easily influenced by things like cardiogenic oscillations and rem breathing which confuse the machine (it thinks positive flow is inspiration and negative flow is expiration but in reality some things like cardiogenic oscillations can cause positive flow during expiration). If you want to check actual inspiration/expiration times it is better to measure them yourself and average a few examples through the night.

For example my inspiration time is regularly reported as over 2 seconds and often longer duration than my expiration time but if I actually measure it then it is regularly around 1.3-1.5 seconds with 2.5-3 seconds expiration. The reason is that I have cardiogenic oscillations that cause flow rate to momentarily cross zero flow rate before my expiration finishes so the machine stops measuring expiration and prematurely switches to measuring inspiration even though I haven't yet started inspiratory effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-26-2021, 12:06 AM)Geer1 Wrote: For example my inspiration time is regularly reported as over 2 seconds and often longer duration than my expiration time but if I actually measure it then it is regularly around 1.3-1.5 seconds with 2.5-3 seconds expiration. The reason is that I have cardiogenic oscillations that cause flow rate to momentarily cross zero flow rate before my expiration finishes so the machine stops measuring expiration and prematurely switches to measuring inspiration even though I haven't yet started inspiratory effort.

How does your breathing feel when Resmed adjusts pressure at inappropriate times as a result of incorrect detection of new inspiration cycle?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2021, 11:13 AM)selfcoacher Wrote: How does your breathing feel when Resmed adjusts pressure at inappropriate times as a result of incorrect detection of new inspiration cycle?

It only occurs when sleeping so not sure what it feels like, I do not believe it causes enough issue to wake me up. Since these cardiogenic oscillations are quick the pressure doesn't increase that much unless using a machine with minimum inspiration time that locks in the increasing pressure. In that case having a properly set trigger sensitivity will help avoid premature triggers (works for me on my vauto).
Post Reply Post Reply
When you breathe normally, the timing is commonly thus:

a. draw in breath:

b. exhale by relaxing.  Two, three..,;

c. draw in next breath;

d. exhale by relaxing...two...three...

You draw breath into yourself more quickly than you exhale, but the difference is small. Notice that you don't normally hold your breath in, and then allow it to exhaust as your diaphragm relaxes.  Instead, you breathe in, and immediately expel what's in your lungs.  Between breaths is a sort of refractory period while your blood CO2 rises and triggers the next intake.
Post Reply Post Reply
Usually these terms can be found by searching the Definitions in our Wiki. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php....2C_T.2C_U

Tidal Volume - The amount of air that is inspired or expired in an ordinary breath. Usually expressed in milliliters per second (mL/sec). Used with the respiratory rate to calculate Minute Vent. (Minute Ventilation in L/min = (Tidal volume in mL/1000) * (Respiratory rate in breaths per minute)
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it possible what you are describing is also happening in my case, here?

If so, would that also affect my tidal volume number?
Thank you.

(07-26-2021, 12:06 AM)Geer1 Wrote: Inspiration time is the average time you spend inhaling. Expiration time is the average time you spend exhaling. Tidal volume is the average volume you breath in per breath. Respiration rate is the average breathing rate/minute. Tidal volume * respiration rate gives you minute ventilation which is the average volume of air you breath per minute.

Inspiration rate is usually over 1 second and commonly around 1.5 seconds, expiration rate is usually around double the inspiration rate and 2.5-3 seconds is common. You have to take both statistics from OSCAR with a grain of salt because they can be easily influenced by things like cardiogenic oscillations and rem breathing which confuse the machine (it thinks positive flow is inspiration and negative flow is expiration but in reality some things like cardiogenic oscillations can cause positive flow during expiration). If you want to check actual inspiration/expiration times it is better to measure them yourself and average a few examples through the night.

For example my inspiration time is regularly reported as over 2 seconds and often longer duration than my expiration time but if I actually measure it then it is regularly around 1.3-1.5 seconds with 2.5-3 seconds expiration. The reason is that I have cardiogenic oscillations that cause flow rate to momentarily cross zero flow rate before my expiration finishes so the machine stops measuring expiration and prematurely switches to measuring inspiration even though I haven't yet started inspiratory effort.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 148 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 179 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 465 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,787 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
Idea Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more Hydrangea 47 6,413 01-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Sick and need to vent cps22 8 550 01-05-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Minute Vent, Tidal Volume, etc. MrIvanDrago 5 702 11-20-2023, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.