Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What's an estimated time to feel the effects
What's an estimated time to feel the effects
I just started using my CPAP 7 days ago. My range of MySir scores are ranging from 90 to 98. The highest evetns I've had was just less than 4. My range for sleep time is 7 hours to 11 hours. Ive downloaded the sleepyhead software so I'll look at that later.

My doctor told me it would take a month to see any difference. Then I read somewhere else it was 3 months. What has been people's experiences in regards to increased energy. What other effects can I expect?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What's an estimated time to feel the effects
all over the map. Most people require two focus areas.
1. the treatment settings, do they work, are the apnea's below 5 per hour (or lower)
2. can you get comfortable enough to use the CPAP. If you are not comfortable, you will not get rested no matter what your AHI is.

There are many comfort settings and it is impossible for anyone to set these so they work best for you, except you.

For me personally the process was a step function. I focused on what was bothering me at the time and when that was under control, the next most bothersome issues would get my attention. Each step was better than the last.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is a very personal thing. For me, I noticed a dramatic improvement in mental clarity from the very first night (8 hours!). I have also had marked improvements almost immediately to my anxiety and depression as well as my clogged nasal passages in the morning. I am still hoping that my energy levels improve over time. Now that I have improved, I notice that I am much more sensitive or at least aware of small changes in the quality of my sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some are very lucky and get all the improvement immediately. It can also take a year or two or somewhere in between. As people have already mentioned, the improvements may not come all together.

Getting Sleepyhead up and running is a good step. That will give you much more information.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I felt like crap for the first 6 weeks, in weeks 7 I started to feel like I did before starting therapy on some days. From week 8 until week 13. I slept and felt exactly like I did before they put me on therapy. Huhsign

Tonight will be my 100th night of therapy. Grin

Last week the length of my sleep cycle increased. I am feeling like I am sleepy deeper and longer now. It also seems like somewhere along the way I stopped dreaming. I used to dream every night sometimes multiple dreams in one night. I haven't had a dream in several weeks 9at least not one I remember)Dont-know
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
My morning headaches ceased immediately, but for the first month I craved sleep with the nearly irresistible urge beginning a little bit later each day. Someone on the forum had mentioned that REM can be guestimated by reviewing the respiration patterns, because REM respiration looks very much like awake respiration. I mentioned that to my Sleep Doc and he looked interested, thought a minute, then agreed it was so. Using respiration patterns as a guide, it took me 6 months to have consistently more than 1 REM cycle per night. at 1.5+ years I have the more normal 3 to 4, depending on whether I sleep 6 hours or 9 (or more usually in between there). So Incremental improvement for me. I have not yet seen improvements in either blood sugar or blood pressure as was suggested I *might* and that is disappointing, but I am definitely better off!
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2016, 04:57 PM)DariaVader Wrote: My morning headaches ceased immediately, but for the first month I craved sleep with the nearly irresistible urge beginning a little bit later each day. Someone on the forum had mentioned that REM can be guestimated by reviewing the respiration patterns, because REM respiration looks very much like awake respiration. I mentioned that to my Sleep Doc and he looked interested, thought a minute, then agreed it was so. Using respiration patterns as a guide, it took me 6 months to have consistently more than 1 REM cycle per night. at 1.5+ years I have the more normal 3 to 4, depending on whether I sleep 6 hours or 9 (or more usually in between there). So Incremental improvement for me. I have not yet seen improvements in either blood sugar or blood pressure as was suggested I *might* and that is disappointing, but I am definitely better off!

WOW! you actually sleep 9 hours - how can you do that!
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also sleep 9 hours on occasion, but feel better if I get up after 7 hours.

Within the first week, my blood pressure readings went down, and my daily headaches and dizziness stopped. Although my hubby thinks I'm still dizzy. Grin

The one thing that sometimes keeps me awake now is the arthritis pain in my hips, so it wakes me up and says...turn over. Oh-jeez

iloveoliver... As you can see, everyone has a different experience. I find that if you take charge of your therapy and learn all you can, it will go a lot smoother. A good attitude helps too.

Getting the right equipment, pressure setting, and mask will make all the difference.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry, but I'm afraid the answer to your question is, "Anywhere from overnight to never."

I adapted to PAP therapy quickly, and initially thought I felt instantly better with a lot more energy, etc. Over time as I've become so acclimated to it, sometimes I feel like that perception was more the placebo effect. Almost a year later I'm still overweight, have borderline blood pressure, and just as much difficulty losing weight. I guess those effects are just age-related, but I had really hoped PAP would somehow magically fix my ills - naive I guess. It seems like some people describe it as a panacea, but I haven't found that to be the case.

All that aside, every now and then I'll fall asleep without it and then I wake up the next day feeling dreadful, like I hadn't slept a wink. That helps me remember life pre-therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi iloveoliver,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Some get use to CPAP therapy right away and others, it takes a long time. I took to it right away but don’t sweat it if you take a little longer. It took my mom quite a while for her to get in the swing of things.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 196 Yesterday, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Abhi
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 209 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 91 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,436 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 439 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 836 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 329 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.