Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What's an estimated time to feel the effects
RE: What's an estimated time to feel the effects
(04-07-2016, 05:06 PM)0rangebear Wrote: WOW! you actually sleep 9 hours - how can you do that!

I know - right?

Not a usual happenstance, but I can indeed sleep for 9 or even 10 hours now, when I need to. Before CPAP I woke from body pain several times a night and got up when I just hurt too much to sleep anymore. Now I can truly sleep like a baby a majority of the time!

I wish I felt my best after 7 hrs, but I never have; still a typical night is 7.5 hours
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
One thing I don't like is when I feel I need a nap during the day. For some reason that is not refreshing to me at all. I can count on feeling worse if I take a nap. Dont-know
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2016, 11:53 AM)OpalRose Wrote: One thing I don't like is when I feel I need a nap during the day. For some reason that is not refreshing to me at all. I can count on feeling worse if I take a nap. Dont-know

This was the case for me until CPAP - and I mean for my whole life. Now I can nap if I need to, but I am not in the habit of it.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2016, 10:36 AM)DariaVader Wrote:
(04-07-2016, 05:06 PM)0rangebear Wrote: WOW! you actually sleep 9 hours - how can you do that!

I know - right?

Not a usual happenstance, but I can indeed sleep for 9 or even 10 hours now, when I need to. Before CPAP I woke from body pain several times a night and got up when I just hurt too much to sleep anymore. Now I can truly sleep like a baby a majority of the time!

I wish I felt my best after 7 hrs, but I never have; still a typical night is 7.5 hours

I have always wanted to sleep a full 8, just to know what I feels like but 9! WOW- I rarely get close to seven hours and typically sleep between 5 and 6. Although in the last couple of weeks I have had several 6.5 hour nights. This may be a result of the Therapy
2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2016, 12:38 PM)0rangebear Wrote: I have always wanted to sleep a full 8, just to know what I feels like but 9! WOW- I rarely get close to seven hours and typically sleep between 5 and 6. Although in the last couple of weeks I have had several 6.5 hour nights. This may be a result of the Therapy

It took at _least_ 6 mo for me to get to that point. probably about the same time I began to have closer to natural REM. As near as I can tell, I have always had obstructive apnea due to overly small pipes. (no solid food until age 3...) just took me til > 55 to know it.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm no having no problem with using the mask except for when I first put it on. There's a small hole in the front which allows air to escape to prevent the buildup of CO2. THAT bothers me, I keep checking for leakage but its just that stupid hole. Maybe I'll call the sleep center and see if that's normal. I have downloaded sleepyhead but I have yet to download the memory card.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found that I really needed to listen to music before I fell asleep for the first couple of months of CPAP usage. I thought the music was just relaxing me, but at some point I realized that it was also covering up most of the sounds coming from the CPAP machine and mask vent.

Now I am able to fall asleep without the music if I'm relaxed and tired when I put the mask on. If I'm feeling tense, though, I will fixate on the rhythm of my breathing and the change in volume and pitch of the air flow sounds and it starts to make me feel more and more awake.

I probably need to learn a relaxation technique for this, but I've only recently become aware that I do it sometimes. So far it's easier to turn on relaxing music.

(04-09-2016, 12:53 PM)iloveoliver Wrote: Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm no having no problem with using the mask except for when I first put it on. There's a small hole in the front which allows air to escape to prevent the buildup of CO2. THAT bothers me, I keep checking for leakage but its just that stupid hole. Maybe I'll call the sleep center and see if that's normal. I have downloaded sleepyhead but I have yet to download the memory card.

Post Reply Post Reply
Daria,

Do you have any graphs handy that show this? I'm interested because I'm still not remembering any dreams and also because I was told I had no REM sleep during my initial sleep study. (Is that even possible if you sleep for five hours?)

(04-07-2016, 04:57 PM)DariaVader Wrote: Someone on the forum had mentioned that REM can be guestimated by reviewing the respiration patterns, because REM respiration looks very much like awake respiration. I mentioned that to my Sleep Doc and he looked interested, thought a minute, then agreed it was so. Using respiration patterns as a guide, it took me 6 months to have consistently more than 1 REM cycle per night. at 1.5+ years I have the more normal 3 to 4, depending on whether I sleep 6 hours or 9 (or more usually in between there).

Post Reply Post Reply
I am one week into therapy with my new toy. Based on how I feel right now and how it is going, I estimate the time to "feeling better" at forever... Sad
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2016, 03:28 PM)green wings Wrote: Daria,

Do you have any graphs handy that show this? I'm interested because I'm still not remembering any dreams and also because I was told I had no REM sleep during my initial sleep study. (Is that even possible if you sleep for five hours?)

last night... highlighted what I think are REM periods. Good night for me, btw - lower pressure than normal to chase the bogies away Smile feel good today too. That last bit might be more REM now I think about it - I don't tend to lie in bed awake.

[Image: tAt6W8P.png]

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a way to change the Resmed 10 time from Miliary Time? johnathanb76 5 59 6 hours ago
Last Post: johnathanb76
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 61 1,001 9 hours ago
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Low AHI scores but feel like I should feel better jake79 6 181 Yesterday, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] CPAP works, but at the same time doesn't AUniqueUsername 8 177 Yesterday, 08:17 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Oscar 1.4.0 software time change keithy62 2 122 04-12-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: keithy62
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 267 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 7 473 04-10-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.