Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What's better, less hours of sleep in 1 go, or more hours with interruptions?
What's better, less hours of sleep in 1 go, or more hours with interruptions?
Hi All,

I frequently wake up in the night and can't get back to sleep for an hour or so.

For example, on Saturday, I had this pattern:  9-1; 2:30-4; 4:45-7

From a perspective of feeling awake the next day, am I better off sleeping less hours in one straight block, or sleeping longer but with a few breaks?

Thanks in advance!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What's better, less hours of sleep in 1 go, or more hours with interruptions?
I would say to go with whatever you feel more rested with.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What's better, less hours of sleep in 1 go, or more hours with interruptions?
I was hoping there was a study that says it doesn't matter, then I would learn to embrace the sleep gaps :-)

Anecdotally, shorter condensed sleep feels better to me than more interrupted sleep
Post Reply Post Reply
I find shorter less interrupted much more restful. After all, that is one of the issues of sleep apnea is that you are constantly wakened before completing sleep cycles, resulting in unrestful sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have always had interrupted sleep with CPAP. At times I can't get back to sleep till an hour or so later.

When possible I do try to go straight back sleep without getting up.

However sleep interruption with CPAP therapy is way better than without.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There have been studies done. I think we do best with 4hrs sleep, up for 4, then sleep for 4 again. I think that was the result.

But, basically, if you wake up for the last time feeling refreshed, then all is good.

Research sleep hygiene and talk to your GP about sleep meds. Some have a time release version that are specifically for folks that wake up during the night vs can't fall asleep in the beginning.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
It is called "polyphasic" (vs monophasic) if you want to do research. There's even a polyphasic sleep website.

Just remember, if you aren't reading a journal article, watch out for "our way is better which is why you need to buy our product" crap.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I find that I typically can only sleep about 4 hours at a time. My decision to return to sleep or not is determined by how tired I feel at that time. Some days I do fall back asleep and others I don't need to. Keep in mind that I still have to take naps 4 of 7 days a week due to several illnesses that tire me out very quick. And I have a script for Elavil 25 MG, prescribed to me for a sleep aid, but there are other uses for this as well.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 281 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 248 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 469 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 205 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Total machine use hours? milogurd 1 277 02-03-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Why do I wake up after a few hours sleep? John Reston 6 490 01-28-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.