Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

Sex: Male

What's for Dinner??
Well a few days ago we were hopelessly mired in the heat of summer. But today there's a nice feeling of early fall in the air. ...and with Mrs. R_G out of town today and me in charge of dinner, it's time for the first batch of fall and winter soups. This is what I just made up, and it's perking along nicely as we type. I'm sharing the recipe with you because it's really good, and it also goes to show you I'm not just another pretty face.

Retired_Guy's Fennel, Sausage, Potato and Onion Bean Soup.

It occurred to me one day a couple of years ago that I had never cooked anything with a Fennel bulb. These things look like a cross between an onion and a celery thingy. I have no idea who or where they were invented. But that's ok. In addition, they have a very prolific green fuzzy bunch of leaves. Or fur. I'm not sure which. So I've been working on this recipe for at least two years now. It's starting to come together.

Anyhow, as I was saying, I decided to cook something with fennel. Turns out there are plenty of recipes on the "net" that sort of point the way as to what should be done with a fennel, other than merely walk past it in the supermarket.

Nutritionally speaking, these things are really good things. High fiber, no fat, low cal, lots of vitamin C, lots of minerals, low glycemic, on and on and on. Therefor it couldn't possibly taste good, could it? Further research suggests fennel tastes like licorice. Well, it does sort of. But that won't really take away from anything you cook it in. It is magnificantly aeromatic. That means it smells good when you slice it up and cook it up. The licorice aspect to it results in leaving you with a really nice fresh aftertaste in your mouth when dinners done. It will make you go back for seconds or thirds however.

Back to the soup.

Ingredients:

A cup or two dry beans. I like Cannellini beans for this project. They're sometimes called a white kidney bean, but they're really a little longer than your average kidney bean. Rinse and soak them overnight. If you forget to do that, put them in a pot, cover with water, bring to a boil, then take them off the burner and let them just sit around for an hour or two. They'll be fine.

1 fennel bulb. (maybe 2 if they're little).
1 nicely configured Leek. That means fresh, clean and not too big around.
1 large onion or a couple of small ones
3 or 4 potatos. Medium sized. You could use red or white, or even blue if you want to be real festive. I like to use leftover potatoes for this. It is afterall "soup."
4 or 5 cloves of Garlic

3 or 4 mild Italian style sausages - the big link things in natural casings. About 1 pound --- which is .453592 Kg, or 453.592 grams, or .0714286 Stone (I don't even know what that means...). Or some mild Italian ground sausage if you wish.

Whatever spices you have laying around such as:
pepper
tyme
rosemary
celery salt
bay leaf or two
kala masala

You could add some nice mushrooms, but I don't.

5 or 6 cans of Chicken broth (I use 14 oz low-sodium Swanson's. Still plenty of salt, so don't plan on adding any additional)
1 can of Beef broth primarily because it's sort of pretty.

Whatever else you think might be nice.

Peel the garlics, then squash the cloves one or two at a time with the flat side of your chef's knife. Then chop them up. You could use pre-squashed and chopped garlic if you wish, it's just not quite as much fun. Do not squash pre-squashed garlic with your chef's knife. It makes a heck of a mess.

Dump a little olive oil in a nice big skillet. Remove the skin casing from the sausages and cut them in little chunks, or make little chunks out of the ground sausage. Start browning the sausage in the skillet, but don't let it get too cooked before you do some other stuff.

Wash the fennel bulb really good. You may have to remove a stalk or two from the outside. Chop off the end, then chop the fennel into thin slices, then chop those into slices. Kind of like you would do to an onion. As a matter of fact, do that to the onion also. Dump these into the browned sausage, and let it start to cook along with your squished garlic. Hang on to the fuzzy green stuff from the fennel bulb. Optionally, you can brown the sausage, remove & clean out some (not all) of the nice grease drippings, then dump in some olive oil along with your squashed garlic and allow it to sizzle around awhile. Then take the garlic out and poke it into the soup stock pot. Then dump the other vegies into the skillet, cover and cook until everything gets nice and squishy.

Now drain the water off your beans then dump in 5 or so cans of chicken broth. That's about 70 ozs of chicken stock. To convert to Canadian measurements, I belive this is equivelant to 3 1/2 plethoras. If you're also adding the beef broth, do that now as well.

Wash, cut and cube the potatoes, and add them to the chicken broth. Cook them up until the potatos are done. When I use already cooked up potatoes I just throw them in with all the other stuff. Because by definition they are already cooked up. At this point you have an option. If you like a thicker, creamy soup, then use your potato squasher and squash the potatos. Carefully, as they're kind of hot at this point.. ...and with all those beans swimming around it's a bit tricky too. On the other hand, if you'd just as soon have a more-clear soup with lots of lumps, leave them alone.

Add all the stuff from your skillet, cover, bring to a simmer, and let it simmer along for couple of hours. Or days... Whatever is your preference.

Oh, the fuzzy green stuff: That part of the fennel is really nice too. Chop some of it up as small as humanly possible and let it float all over your soup as it cooks. Small as possible, because it definately looks like cooked eyebrows when you're done. But it does add a nice flavor to your soup, so it's worth it.

As are most soups, this soup gets better as it ages a little, so be sure to make enough to have left overs for a few weeks. It freezes very well in nice dinner sized containers for use later.

Serve with a nice sour-dough bagette, and your good to go for a cold winter night.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2014 05:07 PM by retired_guy.)
09-10-2014 05:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

RE: What's for Dinner??
SuperSleepers Nukular Hot Dogs

1. Buy Oscar-Meyer hot dogs
2. Put in Microwave oven on high for 5 minutes or until a radioactive crust begins to form on hot dog surface, simulating charcoal grilling.
3. Take out of oven
4. Put hot dogs on white bread
5. Spat catsup (Heinz) generously on bread
6. Eat hastily with 2 cups of hot coffee.

Ah, Heaven. Licklips

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

09-10-2014 10:26 PM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset

Yes, that's good too.........
09-10-2014 10:32 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

Homer's American Chop Suey

1 lb or so of ground beef or turkey
1 large green pepper
1 medium white onion
Garlic (optional)
1 lb box of rigatoni (spiral) or medium shell pasta
6 oz can tomato paste
12 oz can tomato sauce

Chop onion and pepper and then saute in large skillet
Add ground beef/turkey and cook until done
While cooking beef/turkey put on large pot of water to boil
Cook pasta and then drain
Mix tomato sauce/paste and contents of skillet back into pot
Mix until pasta is well covered with tomato sauce/paste
Put in large baking dish (big enough to hold contents of pot)
Bake for roughly 1 hour at 350
Serve with a little bit of ground cheese and/or salad (and wine)

Hardest part of this dish is you have to be able to multi-task - heating water and saute-ing at the same time.

When I make this, I usually get three meals out of it for my wife and I. Once made it for 120 people (of course I bumped up the numbers)

Homer
09-11-2014 12:41 PM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

(09-10-2014 10:26 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  SuperSleepers Nukular Hot Dogs

1. Buy Oscar-Meyer hot dogs
2. Put in Microwave oven on high for 5 minutes or until a radioactive crust begins to form on hot dog surface, simulating charcoal grilling.
3. Take out of oven
4. Put hot dogs on white bread
5. Spat catsup (Heinz) generously on bread
6. Eat hastily with 2 cups of hot coffee.

Ah, Heaven. Licklips

Five minutes???! Really? Wow - Mustard is much better...

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
09-11-2014 01:15 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Hasenpfeffer und Apfelstrudel

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
09-11-2014 01:58 PM
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset

(09-11-2014 01:58 PM)justMongo Wrote:  Hasenpfeffer und Apfelstrudel

and there goes the Easter Bunny.................

But the Apple Strudel would be ok.
09-11-2014 04:23 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Angry The Devils Dinner Dreamcatcher 12 3,691 03-23-2012 06:49 PM
Last Post: Netskier