Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Is CPAP harmful if not needed
Is CPAP harmful if not needed
Can a CPAP machine be harmful if you don't need it? My oximeter is consistently 97 or higher, even while sleeping. My doctor prescribed the machine based solely on my weight. (Bp is good, circumference of neck is below range, no daytime drowsiness, etc). However, now that I am using the machine, I have headaches, brain fog, and a difficult time staying awake during the day. Some insight would be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is CPAP harmful if not needed
Your doctor obviously doesn't think so. I would think he would give you a data capable machine and plans on checking the results. If you could find out exactly what kind of machine you have and post data people here could help determine that.  Download  [url=https://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead[/url],  this is the software that people on the forum are used to working with, it provides a wealth of information about your treatment. There is a guide to useing it here. Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead. Reports from other software would be ok if that is what you are using already. There are a couple of guides on how to post and organize your charts here. Posting an Image in 5 Easy Steps       Organize your SleepyHead Charts. If you need more help with any aspect of posting data don't hesitate to ask.

Best of luck,

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jdez91,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with CPAP therapy and hang in there for more answers to your questions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Did you have a sleep study?
Post Reply Post Reply
You must have presented to your doctor with more than a weight issue for him/her to prescribe PAP therapy and surely they would have got you to do a sleep study? If not, then you may have a point.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2017, 01:11 PM)jdez91 Wrote: Can a CPAP machine be harmful if you don't need it? My oximeter is consistently 97 or higher, even while sleeping. My doctor prescribed the machine based solely on my weight. (Bp is good, circumference of neck is below range, no daytime drowsiness, etc). However, now that I am using the machine, I have headaches, brain fog, and a difficult time staying awake during the day. Some insight would be appreciated.

The answer to your question is generally no, however there are important exceptions.  A small number of people placed on CPAP therapy for treatment of obstructive apnea will develop central or complex apnea.  The symptoms resemble what you are describing, so having a machine that produces data is especially important to monitor the effectiveness and effect of treatment.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 0 51 03-17-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Help needed to understand chart SteveC 0 78 03-11-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  Help needed SteveC 23 1,019 03-02-2024, 05:16 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  help needed teamarliss 7 262 02-25-2024, 10:11 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Wink [CPAP] NEW USER - Assistance Needed Interpreting OSCAR Data tommythecat 1 271 02-17-2024, 12:55 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Advice Needed With Settings and Deciphering OSCAR Data WhatIsRemSleep 16 934 02-12-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  AutoSV data interpretation assistance needed PappaJoe 21 669 02-11-2024, 09:38 AM
Last Post: PappaJoe

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.