Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What's happening??
What's happening??
Hi,

Please see below screenshot from SleepyHead:

[Image: J9XWwWR.png]

Lots of events in a short duration. 

However, average AHI over the last 30 days is only 1.22.

My Resmed Airsense 10 is set on slow response, as fast response was making the AHI worse. Higher pressure (e.g. more than 10) was making the AHI worse. EPR of 1 or 2 seems to make AHI better.

Anybody got an explanation for the events above??

Thanks,
T.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What's happening??
Hi Ted, that whole episode only lasted five or six minutes and scored six apneas. While that's a lot for a short episode, it's not a lot when measured over the whole night. eg if you slept for exactly six hours, that lot would have contributed 1.0 to your AHI.

You were breathing quite smoothly immediately prior to the episode, so I suspect something disturbed you which set off this series of events. Perhaps you rolled over or tucked your chin down to your chest - something which obstructed your airway and made you start breathing erratically. I would be interested to see the whole chart - including snore and flow limitation - for this period and a few minutes before, to see if there were any precursor events.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!

Please see below some more data. No snoring was reported. However, flow limitation does not seem to match obstructive events!

[Image: WaZi5PF.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tedgreen,
It would be easier to advise if we could see the Event graph along with the Flow Limitation,
Pressure graph, leak rate, and snore graph. Also, include the left sidebar, minus the pie chart.

If you follow the tutorial in my signature line, this will show you what we need to see, and how to organize the screenshot.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please see full screenshot below, focusing on those particular 10 minutes (the rest of the night is normal).

I don't understand why the obstructive events don't match flow limitations...

As stated previously, no leaks and no snoring, but lots of events in a short duration.

[Image: idQWaiN.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Odd that you posted this today, I just had virtually an identical instance last night. I chalked it up to a position change, a random event.. Like you it "doubled" my AHI but I'm running typically under 1 and this doesn't typically happen. NOT a problem.

IF this is regularly happening several times a night it may need a deeper look. AHI varies every day.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Ted, I think unless this becomes a common event, it's best to ignore it. I sure would not suggest changes based on this brief series of irregular breathing that might be REM or positional in origin. Interesting, but not something to act on.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK!

However, I still don't understand why SleepyHead (or the Resmed machine) is reporting some OA events, while there is no significant flow limitation reported at the same times...
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on looking at some of my own flow graphs, I would guess that flow limitations are scored based on flat-topping of the flow, but there has to be some minimum flow. If no flow, no flow limitation...

That /is/ a guess, as I only looked at things for about 5 or 10 minutes. Perhaps I will do more later.
Post Reply Post Reply
From what I understand flow limitations are detected separate from OA's and H's. So you could end up with a lot of flow limitations and no OA's and H's. Or the other way around. You won't see them at the same time.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  trialing masks - pressure requirements, What's happening? Wondering2 14 829 11-15-2023, 01:50 PM
Last Post: Wondering2
  [Diagnosis] Is this indicative of most events happening during REM? | What is a respiratory event Dire 4 555 08-08-2023, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Dire
  [Treatment] Treatment-emergent CSA happening 1 year after being on BIPAP-ST? Jeads95 5 661 06-12-2023, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Backorder AirCurve Bipap - What is happening? Abletree 6 679 10-05-2022, 03:28 PM
Last Post: clownbell
  what is happening here Innisfree 3 626 06-22-2022, 06:54 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Arrow What exactly is happening here? Millstone50 1 594 05-12-2022, 09:57 AM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  What's happening in the 10 minutes before I take my mask off in my sleep? moodotkai 6 712 07-07-2021, 08:02 AM
Last Post: factor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.