Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What's the Highest AHI that you have ever seen?
RE: What's the Highest AHI that you have ever seen?
(06-15-2022, 12:47 AM)hh9797 Wrote: Another way to look at it is while driving you could have one route be 50 miles long and take 3 hours because of traffic due to an accident and another route be 75 miles but only take 1 hour because there wasn't an accident on that route, as such you need multiple numbers of data to draw any conclusion because while 50 miles looks better then 75 miles on paper the thing it lacks looking at just the length of drive is the amount of traffic during that length of drive.

Good analogy hh9797!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had 2 friends diagnosed later in life.
One was 89....passed out at work....he's a teacher.
The other was 103.....he's about 70.

I'm so glad I was diagnosed about 35 years ago. 43. no big deal looking at numbers here.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
My joke -- how do you tell the difference between a sleep doctor and a real doctor?

You are having a heart attack, have fallen to the floor clutching your chest. A real doctor will start CPR, if you are in a hospital call a code and bring the crash cart, hit you with the defibrillator, etc. A sleep doctor will lecture you about how your average heart rate over the last 30 days is totally normal.
Post Reply Post Reply
cathyf that's good.

Mine said that I was depressed; I told him I was taking holistic remedies. That was the first and about only thing we discussed in scheduled appointments for the 15 years I was his (im) patient
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm blessed to have survived untreated and mistreated OSA but never had AHI greater than a tested 44.6 and a SleepyHead AHI of 40.4. Like others posting above, early on I thought it nonsense to only count and talk about the event frequency, omitting concern about event duration other than criteria for scoring an OA, CA or Hypopnea.

To this day, I've not found but  this one significant citation of apneic density,  "Apnea Max. Dens. Index (>10 Min) = 80.0" as was presented in the Apnea Analysis section of my SNAP Diagnostics L.L.C. home sleep study of August 2015.

The most striking aspects of my  Dx of severe sleep apnea and its treatment was how disjointed, hit or miss,  information and care was. A lab test at 71 yrs put me at upper end of Moderate SA. An in-home sleep test at (un- treated)  76 yrs--prompted by my complaining about nocturia to my PAP-using PCP--showed AHI 43, average O2 90%, desats down to 60%. 

Good news was that the PCP prescribed an Airsense Autoset, the bad news was the initial setting of 7 cm fixed pressure and being left to sink or swim. A huge struggle ensued with leaking FFM and my rest worsened rather than improved for the first two months--all that until lurking at AB informed me to switch to APAP and set EPAP and IPAP pressures higher.

My linked-post image  shows my 4th night on CPAP, not my worst total time in apnea (TTIA), but it illustrates  an apneic density of 70% for 23 minutes--breathing 18 out of 60 seconds on average, but having 5 apneas greater than 100 seconds. There were two successive OA's of 47 and 108 seconds, which I count as my longest ever OA, 155 seconds. In those first 60 days I had many OA's of up to 120 seconds.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid416028
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Auto CPAP sensor rises to the highest range immediately. How to fix? What's broken? WWu777 16 1,921 12-17-2021, 12:44 PM
Last Post: WWu777
  Highest Periodic Breathing, Leaks and Apnea Ever! jennie54 88 8,212 04-13-2021, 10:18 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Treatment] 60+ days of treatment, Lowest AHI 1.44 & Highest 13.39 miker19 14 2,143 09-29-2019, 12:57 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  I'd like highest output humidifier. ranjean 12 2,507 04-15-2019, 08:31 AM
Last Post: ranjean
  Heated tuning with HIGHEST WATTAGE? Night Train 1 1,507 12-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.