Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What's the Highest AHI that you have ever seen?
What's the Highest AHI that you have ever seen?
Hello. I know the question that I am about to ask is rather strange and unconventional, but being that I love the medical field, and am very very deep into the medical field with all of my Neuromuscular health issues, and other stuff, I know this stuff pretty well. I mean, when you're in the hospital systemmore than you are not, you are certainly going to learn some stuff in regards to stuff like ventilators, ECMO, CPB, etc. My question is pretty unconventional, but I truly hope that you will understand. My question is what's the highest AHIs that you have seen? I know AHI can get pretty high, but has anybody seen AHIs inthe really really high ranges like in the 200-300s or something like that? I've seen AHIs in the 90s and of course those were MY AHIs and they were mainly Centrals, but on YouTube I've watched videos and one video where somebody was discussing his PSG, I actually saw that he had a diagnostic AHI of in the 120s which is pretty high, but I have heard that AHIs havegotten as high as the 600s and 700s which would mean that a ajority of the night, the patient was apneic. Thank you, and God bless you all.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What's the Highest AHI that you have ever seen?
Do you mean one's personal high? Or what we've seen documented?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2015, 09:14 AM)PollCat Wrote: Do you mean one's personal high? Or what we've seen documented?

Well, either. Whether it bee your's that you have gotten from your PAPmachine, or what you have heard of other patients's AHI, OR, what you had in the PSG lab when you were tested. So either of them. I know its such a profoundly unconventional question, but I'm curious to see what you've had, what you had in the LAB, or on your PAP machine, or if you have heard other people say they've had high AHI. So any of those would be good.
Post Reply Post Reply
My lab test resulted in an AHI of 74.1
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2015, 09:33 AM)BiLevel48 Wrote:
(04-29-2015, 09:14 AM)PollCat Wrote: Do you mean one's personal high? Or what we've seen documented?

Well, either. Whether it bee your's that you have gotten from your PAPmachine, or what you have heard of other patients's AHI, OR, what you had in the PSG lab when you were tested. So either of them. I know its such a profoundly unconventional question, but I'm curious to see what you've had, what you had in the LAB, or on your PAP machine, or if you have heard other people say they've had high AHI. So any of those would be good.

My Respiratory Tech said he had treated someone with about 220 AHI.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2015, 09:39 AM)darth_vapor Wrote: My lab test resulted in an AHI of 74.1

Wow. That is pretty high.
(04-29-2015, 09:39 AM)BrownCow67 Wrote:
(04-29-2015, 09:33 AM)BiLevel48 Wrote:

My Respiratory Tech said he had treated someone with about 220 AHI.

WOAH. That is Profound Sleep Apnea. You know, It is amazing to think that these AHIs are possible, because with such a high AHI, you begin to wonder, WHEN DID, the patient actually breathe during the night with those Profoundly high AHIs?
Post Reply Post Reply
Well 20 years ago when I had my first study done, the sleep center doc did not want to release me without getting me a machine as my AHI was, according to him, exceptionally high at 47! I have since seen higher readings reported here in this forum in recent years.

[Send me a PM if you're serious about this line on inquiry. We could create a poll/survey to glean this info from our members.]
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
The highest I've seen on this site while digging through the threads is 148. Over two a minute is hard for me to imagine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2015, 09:47 AM)PollCat Wrote: Well 20 years ago when I had my first study done, the sleep center doc did not want to release me without getting me a machine as my AHI was, according to him, exceptionally high at 47! I have since seen higher readings reported here in this forum in recent years.

[Send me a PM if you're serious about this line on inquiry. We could create a poll/survey to glean this info from our members.]

I think my doc sucks. They had the AHI numbers on Dec 24, 2014 but the doc didnt call me until mid February, 2015. Scheduled a titration study for early March, and then called me in early April for my titration results.

Techniclaly, they could have given me an Auto machine on December 24 in the morning as a loaner until all the other paperwork was done, or even in February when the doctor gave me my diagnosis.

Sometimes I really hate the bureaucracy in the Canadian medical system.
Post Reply Post Reply
When people claim 600s to 700s, they might be confusing AHI (events per hour of sleep) with total number of events in a sleep study period of several hours.

Based upon the reference info below... when computing AHI, an apnea must last at least 10 seconds. Since there are 3600 seconds in an hour, then I guess the theoretical maximum AHI possible would be 360 which would mean continuous apneas of 10 seconds each.

That provides no time for the breaths which separate the apneas. If we allowed 2 seconds for each breath in between 10 second apneas, then that would reduce the max to 300.

I'm fairly new to this stuff so you'll have to look to the old timers for anecdotes of highest reported AHIs.

Your question got me curious enough to hit wikipedia and this is the info I found.

Saldus Miegas

Reference wikipedia or wikipoedia (in keeping with the article below)..

Quote: The Apnea–Hypopnea Index or Apnoea–Hypopnoea Index (AHI) is an index used to indicate the severity of sleep apnea. It is represented by the number of apnea and hypopnea events per hour of sleep. The apneas (pauses in breathing) must last for at least 10 seconds and are associated with a decrease in blood oxygenation. Combining AHI and oxygen desaturation gives an overall sleep apnea severity score that evaluates both number sleep disruptions and degree of oxygen desaturation (low blood level).

The AHI is calculated by dividing the number of apnea events by the number of hours of sleep. AHI values are categorized as:[1][2]

Normal: 0-4
Mild Sleep Apnea: 5-14
Moderate Sleep Apnea: 15-29
Severe Sleep Apnea: 30 or more

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Auto CPAP sensor rises to the highest range immediately. How to fix? What's broken? WWu777 16 1,921 12-17-2021, 12:44 PM
Last Post: WWu777
  Highest Periodic Breathing, Leaks and Apnea Ever! jennie54 88 8,199 04-13-2021, 10:18 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Treatment] 60+ days of treatment, Lowest AHI 1.44 & Highest 13.39 miker19 14 2,143 09-29-2019, 12:57 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  I'd like highest output humidifier. ranjean 12 2,505 04-15-2019, 08:31 AM
Last Post: ranjean
  Heated tuning with HIGHEST WATTAGE? Night Train 1 1,507 12-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.