Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What's the Highest AHI that you have ever seen?
RE: What's the Highest AHI that you have ever seen?
Looking at my sleep report, my AHI was 86.2 and an Arousal Index of 63.8.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2015, 12:42 PM)sgearhart Wrote: Looking at my sleep report, my AHI was 86.2 and an Arousal Index of 63.8.

WOAH!!!! That is HIGH.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, if the sleep tech or whoever cherry picks a short window with a cluster of events then the AHI will skew extremely high. If it's averaged over an entire night's sleep, going through each stage several times, then the number will be lower.

For the cluster periods and long, single events, the severity oxygen desaturation would have far more health significance than an index number.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2015, 02:50 PM)trailrider Wrote: Well, if the sleep tech or whoever cherry picks a short window with a cluster of events then the AHI will skew extremely high. If it's averaged over an entire night's sleep, going through each stage several times, then the number will be lower.

For the cluster periods and long, single events, the severity oxygen desaturation would have far more health significance than an index number.

You know what? I think that even patients with what the AHI scale would consider mild OSa for example, an AHI of 5.4 could be deadly. For example, a 44 year old male presents with Excessive Daytime Sleepiness and is set up to undergo a Polysomnographic Evaluation, AKA, the PSG. During the PSG, he had an overall AHI/RDI of 5.4 and was diagnosed with Mild Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Well, why might he be having Excessive Daytime sleepiness? Well, let's say that this patient while having very few Sleep Related Breathing Disorder Events, had very very profound oxygen desaturations into the 30s and 40s. Well, NO WONDER, he's having Excessive Daytime Sleepiness. Still, the diagnosis according to the AHI that was determined puts him in the MILD OSA Category, however, if those oxygen desaturations are that profound, They could result in serious health effects, which COULD IN FACT, BE DEADLY! I think while the AHI is a good way of scoring Sleep Apnea, and Sleep Related Breathing disorders, SRBDs, it lacks something that could be of more seriousness. Apatient who has an AHI of 290 could be less effected than a person having an AHI of 5.4 and this might be the case of the patient who's AHI is 5.4 is having profound oxygen desaturations as is in the case that I'm speaking about. If an AHI of 248 only has oxygen desaturations in the higher 80s to lower 80s, while they might in fact probably would have some symptoms, they might be less effected than a patient who's Oxygen Desaturations are as low as the 20s, 30s and 40s might. In fact these patients could be SEVERE SEVERELY effected. I know for experience that oxygen desaturations in the 20s, 30s, and 40s causes SEVERE Judgement disability, cognition is low, and when it was happening to me, I was doing stuff that I would NEVER EVEN THINK about doing on an acceptably functioning brain.

That's how I really feel about the AHI and the Oxygen desaturations.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, as soon as I went on APAP, my AHI readings went low and have stayed low. But an overnight oxymetry showed that my O2 levels were going low and staying low for most of the night. So they added in supplementary oxygen and that definitely marked a turning point for me. My AHI rates are still about the same, but the therapy is definitely more effective.

I guess I am fortunate in that my DME supplier and Respirologist made sure to check my O2 levels after the start of APAP therapy.

So I agree that AHI alone doesn't tell you everything.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP cannot help someone with AHI=360. I think they need ASV to control ventilation. Either that, or they are sleeping with the fishes.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was 123.3 AHI with 68% low O2 sat. The doctor said it was one of the worst cases he'd ever seen. I said, "So, high score?!" He did not share my dark sense of humor.
Post Reply Post Reply
Too-funny

With that sense of humour you will fit right in around here. Welcome!

Chuck
Post Reply Post Reply
my AHI was nothing fantastic. barely got diagnosed on a home study - if u asked me, i would say i got no more then 5 min cat naps at the max, and mostly did not sleep at all Smile still they said ahi=10 and "lots" (no number on that) of RERA. My son however had a recorded AHI of 102. If you subtract out the time he was actually recorded as upright and recalculate, it was 120 and anytime he was sleeping it was a solid redline of events, with desats in the low 60s several times.

Thats the thing with a home study. they dont even *try* to figure out when you were sleeping. it's events divided by the hours the machine was ON (which is pre-programmed - it turned itself on at the set bedtime and off 8 hrs later)
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
My AHI during overnight sleep study was 33 with many RERAs, but my oxygen levels dropped to 69% several times, which is dangerous. Sad

Although the AHI number is what they use for a guideline as to whether you have mild, moderate, or severe Apnea, the oxygen desats should be carefully considered.

Now all is well...AHI usually under 1 and I use my overnight oximeter a couple times a month to check. Mostly, I go by how I feel.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Auto CPAP sensor rises to the highest range immediately. How to fix? What's broken? WWu777 16 1,919 12-17-2021, 12:44 PM
Last Post: WWu777
  Highest Periodic Breathing, Leaks and Apnea Ever! jennie54 88 8,187 04-13-2021, 10:18 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Treatment] 60+ days of treatment, Lowest AHI 1.44 & Highest 13.39 miker19 14 2,142 09-29-2019, 12:57 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  I'd like highest output humidifier. ranjean 12 2,504 04-15-2019, 08:31 AM
Last Post: ranjean
  Heated tuning with HIGHEST WATTAGE? Night Train 1 1,507 12-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.