Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask?
What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask?
it's x1 or x2?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What's the mask setting of Dreamstation for Bleep DreamPort mask?
(10-10-2019, 09:30 PM)ChinaMan Wrote: it's x1 or x2?

X0 for all non Philips masks
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2019, 12:44 AM)jaswilliams Wrote:

I know that’s what is in the manual, but I disagree. X0 is just Philips CYA setting for masks that they aren’t responsible for. It also stacks the deck in favor of their masks.

The X setting compensates for the pressure drop in the mask. If it is too low, you may feel air-starved, like breathing through a straw. If it is too high, it will feel like the machine is overcompensating: as you begin to inhale, you may feel slammed by a whoosh of extra air. Either way, it is introducing a mismatch between the targeted and actual pressure.

Try both, and use whichever feels more natural when breathing.

All masks have a pressure drop that is proportional to the airflow (just like the hose). At zero flow, that doesn’t matter; the pressure at the sensor will be the pressure in the mask. The flow is never zero though due to the vent holes and of course breathing.

When air is flowing, the pressure drops in series stack up: bacterial filter (if present), hose, HME (if present), and mask. As flow increases, so does the pressure difference between the sensor and the mask.

X0 makes total sense from a product liability perspective. It is absurd from a physics/engineering perspective unless you are just sticking the end of the hose in your mouth.
Post Reply Post Reply
From a dead space perspective, you should use whatever the nasal pillow setting should be, as the Bleep has very little dead space.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2019, 05:25 AM)ragtopcircus Wrote:

I know that’s what is in the manual, but I disagree. X0 is just Philips CYA setting for masks that they aren’t responsible for. It also stacks the deck in favor of their masks.

The X setting compensates for the pressure drop in the mask. If it is too low, you may feel air-starved, like breathing through a straw. If it is too high, it will feel like the machine is overcompensating: as you begin to inhale, you may feel slammed by a whoosh of extra air. Either way, it is introducing a mismatch between the targeted and actual pressure.

Try both, and use whichever feels more natural when breathing.

All masks have a pressure drop that is proportional to the airflow (just like the hose). At zero flow, that doesn’t matter; the pressure at the sensor will be the pressure in the mask. The flow is never zero though due to the vent holes and of course breathing.

When air is flowing, the pressure drops in series stack up: bacterial filter (if present), hose, HME (if present), and mask. As flow increases, so does the pressure difference between the sensor and the mask.

X0 makes total sense from a product liability perspective. It is absurd from a physics/engineering perspective unless you are just sticking the end of the hose in your mouth.

Then should it x1 or x2?
Post Reply Post Reply

I contacted the DME, was told the setting is x1.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 31 3 hours ago
Last Post: coffee9724
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 86 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 155 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,577 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 99 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 120 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.