Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What's the quickest easiest way to clean your CPAP equipment?
RE: What's the quickest easiest way to clean your CPAP equipment?
I was cleaning mine while drinking morning coffee, now I skip the cleaning and just have my coffee.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi everyone,
I have a few questions about cleaning the mask and hose.

1. I noticed that attached to the hose is a black cylinder object with the word "Q-Tube" on it. Inside there is a foam layer. Is that supposed to be washed with the hose? Will putting that in water damage it? What is the purpose of that cylinder object?

2. Also I noticed that the hose is divided into 3 parts. One part is attached to the CPAP. Another is attached to the mask. And a third section bridges the other two parts. So my question is: Is the Q-Tube black cylinder object supposed to be attached to the upper part near the mask or the lower part near the CPAP?

3. Only the mask needs to be washed right? The hoses can just be rinsed quickly with water in the sink or shower right? They seem sturdy and clean all the time. 

I gotta wonder, if the Q-Tube part wasn't supposed to be immersed in water, then maybe soaking it in water got the foam layer inside it wet, which caused some damage to my CPAP and caused it to malfunction, like I described in this thread: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...t-s-broken

Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
@WWu777 -- I had not heard of the "Q-Tube" before, so I had to use Google. It is a "muffler" device to quiet the air flow. (Maybe that's why I never heard about it, LOL.)

The manufacturer instructions say the correct attachment is: CPAP --> short hose --> Q-Tube --> Normal Hose --> Mask. They also say (paraphrased here): (a) The foam should be removed an allowed to dry daily, (b) The foam should last about 14 days before replacement, and © The foam should not be washed with soap but can be rinsed and dried thoroughly.

The info I found was on a DME site so I can't link it here. But when I searched Google for "Q-Tube User Manual", the first link was a PDF version of the user manual.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-17-2021, 04:28 PM)ScottZZZ Wrote: @WWu777 -- I had not heard of the "Q-Tube" before, so I had to use Google.  It is a "muffler" device to quiet the air flow.  (Maybe that's why I never heard about it, LOL.)

The manufacturer instructions say the correct attachment is:  CPAP --> short hose --> Q-Tube --> Normal Hose --> Mask.  They also say (paraphrased here):  (a) The foam should be removed an allowed to dry daily, (b) The foam should last about 14 days before replacement, and © The foam should not be washed with soap but can be rinsed and dried thoroughly.

The info I found was on a DME site so I can't link it here.  But when I searched Google for "Q-Tube User Manual", the first link was a PDF version of the user manual.

Thanks. That's interesting. But as long as the muffler works, why change the foam? It's just foam, it doesn't seem to be broken or damaged or worn out. How would you replace it? I see no foam replacements online for Q-Tubes and the manufacturer's manual doesn't say anything about it. I'll email the supplier I got it from and see what they say.
Post Reply Post Reply
@WWu777 --

Maybe you're not looking at the same Q-Tube Guide I found? It has detailed instructions on how to replace the foam, including an exploded diagram of all the parts and how to disassemble and reassemble the device.

As for why the foam would need replacement... There is humidified air (with normal air-borne contaminants) blowing through it, so I would say the concern is mold/bacterial growth in the tube and foam. They also say it should be disassembled and dried DAILY after each use.

I haven't seen one, but assuming the foam is of decent quality -- I would guess that you could disassemble, wash, DRY, and reassemble with the same foam many times before needing replacement. Either for convenience or because they want to sell more foam, they recommend replacing it every 14 days.
Post Reply Post Reply
Every now and then, I pour the hose with 50/50 vinegar/water mixture, attach it to a hanging device I got from amazon, and let it sit for 1hr or more. Flush it out with water, and then I hook it up to the CPAP machine and run leak test to blow dry the moisture droplets inside the hose. Initially, it will have some vinegar smell, but it goes away quickly.

I just find this method of cleaning hose the easiest. I don't have to scrub it. I just rinse it out with water.

The hose hanging device. https://www.amazon.com/RESPURA-AG-CLN-HA...pc&sr=1-11

As far as the mask, I get some cheap baby soap from Walmart, and soak the mask cushion while brushing my teeth, and then after, I rinse it out. I clean my cushion daily. For the frame, I put it in the washer every now and then. For the tubing frame, I clean it once a week by applying soap inside the tubing, and rinse it out with warm water.

It doesn't take much time because cushion being the only item I clean daily, and others on occasions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Everyone,
I found some ozone CPAP cleaners on Walmart and even cheaper ones on Ebay from China. Do any of you use them? If so what do you think of them? Are they better and easier to use than using soap and water? They claim to clean the CPAP machine itself too. Here is one from Walmart website for example:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CPAP-Cleaner-...1246945281

It looks so small and portable. Wow.

[Image: a5aa28a9-3b10-4d78-bd2c-c922ec273051.d87...nBg=FFFFFF]

[Image: 69ea90dc-3200-425d-8317-f1dd879ffd3c.b7b...nBg=FFFFFF]
Post Reply Post Reply
Stay away from any ozone "cleaners". They will void the warranty of your machine.

From the Resmed website:

This limited warranty does not cover:
d) any damage caused by exposure to ozone, activated oxygen or other gases; and ...
Post Reply Post Reply
Just plain old soap and water is more than fine. If you want to take it a step further then use "Control III" or some other sanitizing solution.
Don't get caught up in the hype with those other devices. They don't actually "clean" anything but your bank account.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Never ever ever use dishwashing soap.  These contain grease cutting solvents.  Even resmed has updated cleaning to say not to use detergents.

Also dont use ozone based cleaners.  Good old JJ Baby Shampoo works fine.

I also found on ebay a kewl CPAP hose blower to speed up drying the inside of a hose.

I also got one of the 59S CPAP UV sterilizers, Jury is still out ther.e
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you take out the Tube Outlet Connector in the Airsense 11 to clean? dharma2255 7 216 04-16-2024, 10:03 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 282 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Best place to buy cpap equipment in Dubai or UAE Foxhunt 6 592 02-14-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Macka
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 449 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Airsense 10 Clean And Recondition scowell 5 504 01-14-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [Equipment] Successful equipment modification tcurran 8 584 01-05-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  hammer44 - ASV Therapy Equipment Question hammer44 11 657 01-01-2024, 01:47 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.