Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 - 20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: CMS50I PulseOx

Sex: Male

RE: What's the secret to cooking steak?
I agree with cooking steak outside...smoke damage is hard to get rid of.

Good marbled thick ribeyes (not marinated). Rub some Extra Virgin Olive Oil on them. Let sit at room temp. for about 20 min while you heat the grill or cast iron on gas burner. My gas grill has a thermometer on it and I let it get as hot as it will go (says 600 deg., but I'm not sure it's accurate. Throw some kosher salt and fresh ground pepper on the steaks. Be generous with the kosher salt - a lot will fall off anyway. Stand back and throw the steaks on - the first side should sear in about 20 secs if it's hot enough, it should sound kind of like a jet taking off when you throw them on (notice I said "throw" this is highly recommended if you intend to keep your eyebrows. Flip steaks, then turn gas as low as it will go and close lid or cover skillet. Cook for about 2-3 minutes for rare, 7-8 for well.

-Never poke holes in the steak - turn with tongs.
-After you take off grill let them sit at room temp for a couple minutes so the juices re-distribute back through the meat.
-Don't put the salt on too early, just before cooking.
-Always cook on cast iron grates (never covered with aluminum foil) or in a nice seasoned cast iron skillet.
-Use the "Palm of Hand" technique to determine doneness - never cut into the steak to see how done it is.

The only real secret to cooking steak is the extremely high heat at the very beginning so it seals in the juice...the juice keeps it tender. It also creates a BUNCH of smoke at first - this is why I consider it an outside only job.
02-28-2014 10:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

Make sure the steak is absolutely dry. Any moisture will prevent that good sear.

And the other thing is that you have to let the steak rest tented for 5 minutes after it's done cooking. But then you have to eat it right away. No waiting around for the side dishes, they have to be ready when the steak's ready.

But I think you should invest in a grill. A much better way to go.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
02-28-2014 11:39 PM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Don,t cook the steak straight out of the fridge, let it rest, season with salt/pepper, rub with olive oil, pan on high heat so meat cooked instantly not braised on its own juices, cook as you like it, I like my meat rare, couple of minutes on each side and let rest for 5
Scotch fillet is good cut for quick frying, eye fillet is leaner but more expensive

Okay now .. speaking of secrets ... whats the secret of a good hamburger
I know its the right place to ask Coffee
03-01-2014 06:42 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
mjbearit Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: REMstar Auto AFlex DS550
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: RESMed Swift FX
Humidifier: Heated humidifier - 2
CPAP Pressure: 12.5-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

For cooking indoors cast iron is all you need! Smile And for those coming up with excuses, yes, I can cook a perfectly wonderful cake in cast iron! I'm with the cast iron crowd on steak cooking! I lightly coat the steak with olive oil if using my new skillet (It's only about a year old) but if I am using my old skillet, no need to oil. Season it up, sear over high flame on stovetop to seal in juices quickly, move to hot oven and cook no longer than 10 minutes for a well done steak (ew!).

As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
03-01-2014 07:45 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Angry The worst steak AlanE 42 3,551 05-04-2015 09:13 AM
Last Post: AlanE