Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What's with this newbie data?
RE: What's with this newbie data?
[Image: uD94A6eh.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
I apologize for jumping into this discussion late in the game.  I've been absent from the forum for a good while, doing other fun things.  HalfAsleep, i had total hell in the beginning, almost giving up completely.  My sleep doctor was of little or no help.  I was plagued with mouth breathing, horrible leaks and poor AhI.  The two guys who ran the DME where i got my equip were the best help, because they were both cpap users.

Please take all of my advice with several grains of salt.  With the help of this forum in the beginning and a huge amount of experimentation, i finally am comfortable sleeping and generally have an AHI of less than one.  OK, most of us are plagued with leaks, especially mouth breathers and FFM users.  My DME guys suggested rolling a small hand towel or T shirt and placing under the chin....way better than a chin strap, The mouth coming open screws up everything, FFM and nasal pillows.

I could never get leaks under control with the FFM.  There is so much area to leak with FFM, so my first suggestion is to TRY a nasal pillow system.  I know some people have no choice but if there is any way you can cross over i would suggest trying.  With nasal pillows there is only a tiny amount of area to keep sealed.  I was ready to quit when i made the switch out of desperation.  Hopefully your sleep doctor and DME can help with this.

Some people have difficulty in nose breathing.  I have allergies and some nights stuffed up nose.  I use one of the cortisone base nose sprays and even then sometimes don't breathe well when i first start cpap.  I've noticed that if i just relax, after a while, i feel my nasal passages open up with the pressure of the machine.

One other area of experimentation that has helped me greatly is changing the pressure on my Resmed Autoset.  Some of you will spank me for taking matters into my own hands, but it was this or quit.  As i said, my sleep doctor was little/no help.  I had to beg to switch from the first "brick" machine to the Autoset.  And i had to beg him to give an RX for variable pressure.  Well he put it to the max. I felt suffocated by the excessive pressure.  This also caused massive leaks.

I toned down the pressure and suddenly I was at peace with my machine.  I would say that if one can ever successfully use the nasal pillow system, life on cpap becomes much easier.  I know this doesn't work for everyone......just my journey through hell....and out the other side.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2017, 09:09 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I'm not sure what you see, but this image looks like a colorful postage stamp.  You need to use the "huge thumbnail" or original image link.  In spite of it's small size, I can see the flow limits from a mile away...enjoy your new bilevel you'll be needing soon.

So what is acceptable flow limit?
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2017, 10:20 AM)Apnea Infant Wrote:
(11-12-2017, 09:09 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I'm not sure what you see, but this image looks like a colorful postage stamp.  You need to use the "huge thumbnail" or original image link.  In spite of it's small size, I can see the flow limits from a mile away...enjoy your new bilevel you'll be needing soon.

So what is acceptable flow limit?

I don't know if there is a correct answer for this as many of us have a median of 0.00 and 95% less than 0.1.  I think that is actually pretty common.  When the graph has sustained flow limits above 0.3 or 0.5 with frequent excursions to 1.0 as we see here, I'd call that a problem, and it shows in the events.   This is the graph of a person with fairly severe upper airway resistance and it causes notable and sustained increased inspiratory effort and often complete occlusion of the airway.   This graph is notable for the very few segments of normal FL like around 5:20 AM.  

I don't think HalfAsleep will ever get satisfactory and comfortable results without more pressure support than a CPAP can provide.   Her tolerance to bilevel, specifically if she can use the pressure support necessary to normalize inspiratory flow resistance without centrals is going to be something determined in titration or use.   We already know she does not tolerate high CPAP pressure as she has been making a heroic effort at CPAP for several months without ever achieving good therapy results.  Her obstructive apnea generally arises out of flow limitation.  I think the answer is a lower EPAP pressure with a pretty substantial pressure support.  If that resolves flow limits but leads to centrals, then the solution may transition to ASV.  I think it's time for her medical team to acknowledge that she needs a different solution, and at least look at a bilevel titration.  

Blaming her results on her, and leaks doesn't cut it, and I would have jumped off this ship, and found more competent and interested help.  I can't imagine that having these kind of results, and the obvious discomfort the therapy imposes would be tolerable for very long.  She was diagnosed with a relatively low AHI, mainly hypopnea. Her therapy looks worse than what was represented in her diagnostic test.  She was given an auto CPAP with a wide range of pressures, which is basically saying, "go self-titrate".  Well, it hasn't worked.  Time to move to the next step.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep Walker, i certainly agree with your advice regarding pressure.  I'm sure we all wish our sleep doctors were more helpful, but i think my doctor just got bothered by my persistence and gave me a very wide range of pressure hoping my machine would sort it out.  As you said "self titrate".  My sleep test was far from scientific.  They tried a few different things, but i believe when they can't figure out anything else, they just throw a FFM and high pressure at you.

I have analyzed my own data constantly since the beginning, about five years ago.  One thing for sure, big leaks seem to be accompanied with raising the pressure, which does not help the problem in many cases.  For sure not mine.  Maybe I was wrong, but when i lowered my upper limit from 15, down to 12, then finally down to ten, all of my results improved.  AND have stayed good ever since.  I can look at the pressure graph undulate nicely, on occasion, maxing out, but for the most part my 95% pressure is around 8.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, DrGrimes. My leaks are now quite minimal. When I started, I had nasal pillows and my leak percentage was 50+. That's when I shifted to FFM (just 2 weeks ago); my leaks are well under control. I also use a tube for my chin: it sounds like you've had great experience with this, too.

Better than any of those facts, however, I have become much more confident at turning the hardware (and SleepyHead) into a tool for me. It might not end up being the right tool, but the feeling of mastery is important to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
SleepRider, I see that I have the flow limit chart from hell, but the interesting thing is that the untreated events are almost all when there's no flow limit. So they must be centrals and not OA's?

------------

Since I'm closing in on my prescribed upper pressure (15) with low leaks and it's very obviously making things worse, I'm in a solid position to nudge the Sleep Center into Plan Bipap. I have DATA! And in a week or so, I should have several days of full prescription, low leak DATA.

---------

I so much appreciate your encouragement!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2017, 11:55 AM)drgrimes Wrote: Sleep Walker, i certainly agree with your advice regarding pressure.  I'm sure we all wish our sleep doctors were more helpful, but i think my doctor just got bothered by my persistence and gave me a very wide range of pressure hoping my machine would sort it out.  As you said "self titrate".  My sleep test was far from scientific.  They tried a few different things, but i believe when they can't figure out anything else, they just throw a FFM and high pressure at you.

I have analyzed my own data constantly since the beginning, about five years ago.  One thing for sure, big leaks seem to be accompanied with raising the pressure, which does not help the problem in many cases.  For sure not mine.  Maybe I was wrong, but when i lowered my upper limit from 15, down to 12, then finally down to ten, all of my results improved.  AND have stayed good ever since.  I can look at the pressure graph undulate nicely, on occasion, maxing out, but for the most part my 95% pressure is around 8.

I agree, DrGrimes. 

You saying.....they just throw a FFM and high pressure at you.......was my own experience too. And like with you, the over high pressure was causing massive leaks and all but destroyed any sleep I hoped to improve. Like you, I started reducing from 16.8 to 14 and by degrees down to 11 now. My intent is still to lower it gradually and see if I can tolerate 10-all in an effort to keep leaks at bay and any potential aerophagia.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

Post Reply Post Reply
Great minds think alike! Yeppers, I'm one of the ones that lowered pressure to see if treatment would work better. I wanted to arrive at a healthy balance between pressure and leakage while maximizing treatment efficacy. I'm still in that experiment. It may not work out for me in the end, but just experimenting taught me a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply
with your chart I would have min 11 and max 15 and these may be needed to be changed later. I don't think you are in treatment range where you are now.

After 8 pages, I think you may need to look at the basic stuff again. There seems 2 main reasons, either the person doesn't want to raise the pressure or is trying to fix mouth leaks, or a combination of both.
Have you tried a foam cervical collar yet, it may open your airway?
If you still have leaks, and you have read everything here and youtube videos on mask fit, it's time to change masks. If you have mouth leaks, get a full face mask.
open the max pressure to 20
You have sleepyhead so you can keep the minimum pressure to 1 cm below the median number
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 113 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 191 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 174 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 501 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 193 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 285 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 265 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.