Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What's with this newbie data?
RE: What's with this newbie data?
And don't forget your impressive flow limit chart showing how this goes on all night long. You have seen other charts, but you have almost never seen such persistent FL, and it doesn't go away with pressure. At least not yet.

Have you ever tried the standard Autoset mode? It doesn't hold back on pressure increases for FL, but the For Her does not increase pressure above 12 due solely to FL. Might make an interesting try.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow. This is awesome work. Jus' saying.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2017, 09:27 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: And don't forget your impressive flow limit chart showing how this goes on all night long.  You have seen other charts, but you have almost never seen such persistent FL, and it doesn't go away with pressure. At least not yet.

Have you ever tried the standard Autoset mode?  It doesn't hold back on pressure increases for FL, but the For Her does not increase pressure above 12 due solely to FL.  Might make an interesting try.

That's an interesting thought. That implies I'm limiting pressure at 12 although the prescription is for 15. I'll give it a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2017, 10:30 PM)Doza Wrote: Wow. This is awesome work.  Jus' saying.

Isn't it wonderful to get intelligent and intelligible instruction about what all those squiggles are? We can get so focused on the night-long picture, when the devil's in the details, at least in my case.

I'm really appreciating SleepRider. This is a whole 'nother dimension in guru-bility.

And every time I go to SleepyHead, I learn some new feature. My last lesson was that Sleepy Head indicates graphically exactly how long those apnea events are. That's how I knew I wasn't imagining a 55-minute pause in mortality. And I can find similar events at the tab on the left without having to look at every second of my flow graph. I have more than one....
Post Reply Post Reply
An important to-do for me will be to learn the differences between APAP's, BiPAP's, and ASV's. This week...
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2017, 10:42 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote:

Isn't it wonderful to get intelligent and intelligible instruction about what all those squiggles are? We can get so focused on the night-long picture, when the devil's in the details, at least in my case.

I'm really appreciating SleepRider. This is a whole 'nother dimension in guru-bility.

And every time I go to SleepyHead, I learn some new feature. My last lesson was that Sleepy Head indicates graphically exactly how long those apnea events are. That's how I knew I wasn't imagining a 55-minute pause in mortality. And I can find similar events at the tab on the left without having to look at every second of my flow graph. I have more than one....

Until you had Sleepyhead and a card reader, then posted your results, this analysis was impossible. That was only a week ago, and until then we were 100% guessing what to suggest.  This is really why we tend to nag new members to get the software and post some results.  We can make suggestions on what "usually" works, but you are not the usual case at all. That seems to end up being true more often than not.  The whole care industry seems to want to treat all apnea the same.  You can imagine how well that works out.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-15-2017, 08:42 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(10-14-2017, 10:42 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote:

Until you had Sleepyhead and a card reader, then posted your results, this analysis was impossible. That was only a week ago, and until then we were 100% guessing what to suggest.  This is really why we tend to nag new members to get the software and post some results.  We can make suggestions on what "usually" works, but you are not the usual case at all. That seems to end up being true more often than not.  The whole care industry seems to want to treat all apnea the same.  You can imagine how well that works out.

Your nagging was always a point well taken. And I didn't expect fact-based analysis until I had Sleepy Head going. Besides, I had my hands full just managing the hardware; I don't know how people can catch on so quickly.

The night of 8-8 pressure with no EPR was a crucial experiment. The data and conclusions from that are extremely valuable to my "portfolio".

I have "for Her" off as of last night. The stats are pretty much the same, as well as the flow character, but I didn't wake up the whole night. I'll leave it like that for a few days and see how it goes.

My mouth leaks dominate my charts a lot less now that I'm not working at fixing them. For now, I'll leave it at that and continue to work on mask issues. I figure leaks will only impact my OSA AHI numbers, since they would prevent the CPAP from working full benefits on OAs. Other than OA's? Same same, leaks or no leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't get too excited about my sudden lower AHI: I was awake at least half the night trying to make my setup work.

[Image: MVIRI1Xm.png]

This is tossing and turning AFAIK:

[Image: erCJ8mxm.png]

The only time I get to normal (for me) breathing is during leaks? Or are these infant apnea wannabes? All my mouth leaks are like this.

[Image: KDhApVYm.png]

I had a few issues maybe I can get some insight for:

1. From the get-go, I almost couldn't exhale. I thought I was hyperventilating just to push air. Exhale felt like hitting a wall. This wasn't at all normal for me. What's with that? I finally turned off the EPR, but really, I don't think it got any better. 

2. It feels as though using the P10, one or other of my nostrils is blocked. Would air be blowing into a side wall of my nose? I've tried all sizes of mask pillow. Last night, I used Small and Medium. My comfort with either size seems to be unique to every day.

3. I started putting on my headgear in front of a mirror. I don't know why I hadn't thought of this before. At least it keeps the straps out of my eyes. And it's a much sturdier do.

4a. Early in the night, I was so fed up with leaks and being woken up with a cyclone and having it wake me up, I decided to tape my mouth. It sorta worked, but strangely, not altogether. The P10 seemed to not be leaking at all.

4b. I turned up the humidity, because strangely my mouth went totally dry when taped shut.  Huhsign

5. The long break is tea, a snack, and a read. I was so fed up with tossing and turning, I got up and started my night over. I did not take a significant break after that. That I recall.

6. I also had my mouth taped for the second half of the night. Seriously? Major leakage? Does this reflect difficulty in exhaling, as in #1? There was nowhere for the air to go except out of my mouth?

7. Can a closed mouth create flow limitation? That seems strange, given non-leakage is a goal, not a hazard. I still have all that flow limitation.

8. A whole bunch of another type of events I'm not used to having: RERA's. Mostly, I've had CA's before.

9. All night, I used SmartStart to start, button push to stop. In other words, SmartStart is not contributing to leaks.

10. I am tired stupid.
Post Reply Post Reply
Half Asleep

Want to reply to sympthatise, I am so sorry you are having a hard time. Experienced others hopefully would chime in to help with fine-tuning therapy. However, I would like to share my own experiences with some areas.......

1. From the get-go, I almost couldn't exhale. I thought I was hyperventilating just to push air. Exhale felt like hitting a wall. This wasn't at all normal for me. What's with that? I finally turned off the EPR, but really, I don't think it got any better. 

EPR reduces exhale pressure and is supposed to help with exhaling.

2. It feels as though using the P10, one or other of my nostrils is blocked. Would air be blowing into a side wall of my nose? I've tried all sizes of mask pillow. Last night, I used Small and Medium. My comfort with either size seems to be unique to every day.

4a. Early in the night, I was so fed up with leaks and being woken up with a cyclone and having it wake me up, I decided to tape my mouth. It sorta worked, but strangely, not altogether. The P10 seemed to not be leaking at all.

6. I also had my mouth taped for the second half of the night. Seriously? Major leakage? Does this reflect difficulty in exhaling, as in #1? There was nowhere for the air to go except out of my mouth?

For me, using the P10 has helped me with much less leaks when used in association with the soft collar and the tongue tuck technique. I have had a cold for the last week with a runny nose. I find the P10 actually prevents mucus dripping at night and therefore helps me sleep. I do though have quite small nares and even the XS works, although not perfect.

Your apnea appears complex in nature and hopefully others will be along before too long to interpret your data.

Hugs,
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

Post Reply Post Reply
Situation:

I'm having a beast of a time with masks. For the last few days, I have been "using" a Resmed Airfit F20. (Last week, I tried a Airtouch F20; same problem, just not as cushy). This is likely a good mask for me, is very comfortable, and it meets my needs. In other words, I don't feel super-negotiable on mask choice.

However, I put "using" in quotation marks because this mask sua sponte (all by itself) elevates off my face like a hydrofoil. Very comfy, but... This makes the leak rate go to 100%, the CPAP turns itself off, the mask lands on the other side of the bed.... You got it, no sleep, no quality sleep, no treated sleep, no compliance, even.

This hydrofoil maneuver seems to start when the pressure goes up. Natch.

I currently have the apap set to 5- 15. I generally cruise at 10-11 all night long. Charts above in this thread are still apropos. My end-of night AHI ends up between 6-9.

What do you all think about my setting the pressure at a sub-treatment level until I can get in a groove? So I can get past the mask leak stage and get some sleep consistency, and then return to spec pressures when I have better mastery of the whole setup.

My sleep study AHI was 18, so I'm not having to address a severe apnea issue.

I'm thinking I could set one pressure number, a sub-treatment number. 

SleepRider did have me try 8 all night once. That didn't make any difference on any element, AHI, leaks, breaks...

Ramp is not helpful for anything.

What do you all think of me doing 6 or 7?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 391 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 489 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 273 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 298 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.