Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What's worse? A central or an obstructive apnea
What's worse? A central or an obstructive apnea
Are central apneas as bad as obstructive apneas? Does anyone know if you have as strong a physiological flight or fight response to central apneas as you do to obstructive apneas? I'd be curious as to whether there is any research into whether desaturations and heart rate increases are as great during central apneas as they are during obstructive apneas. Or peoples personal experience. 

It seems to me this is an important question since a lot of people like me will inevitably have more central apnea if they increase the pressure of their CPAP to eliminate more obstructive apneas. I've always assumed obstructive apnea is worse, especially in my case since it always mostly occurs during my REM sleep, but I've never actually looked into it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What's worse? A central or an obstructive apnea
Each depends on the duration and what your level of O2 saturation was at the time of onset.

Generally, an OA of 30 seconds is going to be worse than a CA of the same duration.  The rationale is that a CA is often due to hyper-flushing of CO2 from the blood stream going to the lungs, and this happens because so much air is being pushed through the lungs by the PAP machine.  That is, many CA's are caused by the PAP therapy itself.  We inhale due to a stimulus caused by rising CO2 in the blood.  Some ventilators get us acidotic if they're too aggressive, and we find that we develop therapy-onset CA's.  

CA's that are caused by other matters could potentially be more problematic in the long run.  But if we assume that a person getting CAs is not suffering from a lack of O2, but a lack of CO2, this is not the same as, or as deleterious as, a person who is hypoxic and running consecutive events of OA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know which is worse, but as I recall, most of my obstructive apneas were just over 10 seconds while some of my central apnea events were longer. One CA on a BPAP sleep study was at 90 seconds. Me personally, I grade both as bad, but since I get more CA I'll say they are worse. I will say mesenteria has a point to consider on the CA in that a lowered level of CO2 is the typical cause of them.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
"Generally, an OA of 30 seconds is going to be worse than a CA of the same duration."

I don't buy this. "generally" speaking, not breathing is not breathing. otoh, I do agree that some ca is pressure induced or wakeful breath holding or otherwise what many have called false ca & those can be discounted. I've yet to read anything that suggests a true ca is less damaging than oa.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 12 2,669 04-13-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,571 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Most events are Central Apnea / Clear Airway joeblough 7 214 04-08-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: joeblough
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 124 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 10 383 04-07-2024, 03:04 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,071 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 634 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.