Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What's wrong with this picture?
What's wrong with this picture?
Whenever I have my annual blood tests done (all the usual stuff) the next time I go to the GP he hands over the results and discusses any areas of concern. But last time he ordered the tests he said: "I've instructed the lab to send the results direct to you. Have a look at the results and the pathologist's comments and compare them with last time. Unless there's anything out of the ordinary you don't need to come back and see me".

It's nice to be treated like an intelligent capable adult by the medical profession.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What's wrong with this picture?
Most of the time my docs just call (or have the nurse/PA call) to discuss anything out of normal range.

I only go in if the results indicate further exam is required -- most of the time the doc(s) just order a new medicine, reduction in a current medicine, or other lifestile change (e.g., salt or water intake).
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
My doc is in a consortium of local doctors and they are networked with the local hospital. The system is dubbed "MyChart" and all patients are welcome to use it. All of my test results are posted immediately to that network and I often get to see them before the doctor does. The tests list the range that is considered normal and I can easily see if I have a problem. This cuts any followup appointments to a minimum.

It's my opinion that doctors that schedule followup appointments to discuss routine test results may be milking the system. I can remember in the past when leaving the doctors office wondering why that appointment was necessary since all that was said was that the tests found no problems. You only have to follow the money stream to figure that out.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've found that if something is wrong they'll call you.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sadly my health is not yet at a point that I can do that. My PCP wants to see me every 90 days. We bent the rules for the 2+ years I had no insurance, but now that I have coverage again, it's back to every 90 days. Full blood work every 180 days, INR is every 28 days. But no more heart Doc, and my med count is shrinking. So that's a plus.

Tests results (and instructions if any) are a phone call by the staff.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Paul
Wouldnt it be even better if you could get the tests done first without s doctor, snd then seeing the doctor with the results....just dreaming

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2015, 04:34 AM)wishicansleep Wrote: Hi Paul
Wouldnt it be even better if you could get the tests done first without s doctor, snd then seeing the doctor with the results....just dreaming

Yeah, for the routine stuff. But every now and then the doc wants to add a test or vary the parameters or something like that. I can't see them ever letting patients order their own tests.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a Medical Laboratory Technician and I run most of those tests. I work in an endocrinology clinic (diabetes and thyroid mostly, but we also have primary care physicians as well) so our patients generally have to be seen on a regular basis. Also, there are requirements from Medicare regarding how often one has to be seen, and how often tests can be run. Well, not how often they can be run, but how often Medicare will pay for them. Also, the patient has to have the correct diagnosis or it won't be reimbursed. It's really a big headache sometimes figuring out what will be covered.

I am fortunate that my PCP is in the same clinic and I see him everyday, and I can ask whatever questions I have. I still have to pay my full co-pay for visits and lab work, and have to wait in line like everyone else. No employee discounts here!
Post Reply Post Reply
My situation is exactly like Surfer Dude's with my results being posted to the My Chart account as soon as they are available. It really makes things quite easy.

49er
Post Reply Post Reply
The medical mafia is getting more and more into the milking the system process. Only write prescriptions for a short period of time, require tests and unnecessary office vi$it$ no matter what the results. Farm it out to have multiple doctors writing prescriptions for different conditions, so multiple doctors can bill you.

For my blood pressure, I've had the same prescription for probably 8 years. Every year, I have to get tests, and have a visit with my separate doctor for BP, who asks a few token questions and says "your tests look good, keep it up."
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea Worse - What am I doing wrong? John Reston 8 543 01-08-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: John Reston
  [Equipment] I have to CRANK down my full face mask to prevent leaking. What am I doing wrong? srwilsn3 17 1,463 12-13-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
Wink Help my mom fix brainfog!!! - wrong machine settings? jra110 1 324 12-07-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  SD card unreadable Mac - what am I doing wrong? KLib 6 471 11-17-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: KLib
Question Resmed Myair wrong region bobdobbs 3 579 10-05-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Is there something obviously wrong with my CPAP use? [pull off mask while asleep] Cpapaya 4 675 08-16-2023, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Wrong times on my OSCAR graphs Steve P 1 459 07-16-2023, 06:25 PM
Last Post: David Clark

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.