Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Using CPAP with a blocked nostril. Tongue and chin pushed to a side.
Using CPAP with a blocked nostril. Tongue and chin pushed to a side.
Sharing my observation as this might help someone.

I use nasal pillow with my CPAP device.
I observed that sometimes one of my nostrils gets blocked during sleep ,
when that happens I observed that in the morning, my tongue is skewed towards the nostril that was blocked. Also my lower jaw is shifted a bit towards the blocked nostril. Things generally return back to symmetry by the end of the day.

My hypotheses is that, when the nostil gets blocked, all the air pressure from CPAP goes through a single nostril.
This causes unsymmetrical forces in the oral cavity. And the tongue muscle is pushed in the direction of blocked nostril for the whole night ( by the air coming in from open nostril). This causes the tongue to be titled slightly on one side when I open my mouth in the morning. Also if I run my tongue along the lips in the morning  I can hear clicking sounds at the base of the tongue only on one side, as if some tiny knots are getting back to normal.

To alleviate the problem, I started taking warm baths before sleeping, which has helped to unblock the nostril.

I also plan to start using neti pot and apply a moisturizing saline gel to unblock nostril, and hope it would be useful.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using CPAP with a blocked nostril. Tongue and chin pushed to a side.
If you've never used a neti pot before, be aware that water can continue to drain out of your nose for quite a while...in my experience up to two hours. So you might want to test that in the morning to how it works for you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 409 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 439 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Thumbsdown Tongue Holder / Retainer with CPAP does not meet expectations. G. Szabo 3 92 03-18-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 497 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  How Are You Affected by Chin Tucking? BoxcarPete 5 598 03-08-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 367 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.