Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What should I ask my GP to write for my Rx?
What should I ask my GP to write for my Rx?
I've moved states, and my new state's DMEs want me to have a CPAP Rx from this state.  So I'm seeing a new GP, and will ask him to write an Rx.  (I'll bring him my Rx from the other state, so he can feel more comfortable about it.)

What should I ask him to write?  I've tried searching, and I'm not finding it here (even though I know I've read it here so many times).

My current Rx is for CPAP, fixed 5cm, mask patient's choice.  I would like it to be APAP, 9.5-12.5cm, mask patient's choice, heated hose, and *permanent* (so I don't have to get updated Rxes if places want a "current" one).  How would all of that be written?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What should I ask my GP to write for my Rx?
Okay... apparently we have a Wiki on this subject, with exactly the info I was looking for. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...AP_-_BIPAP
Post Reply Post Reply
Bring a copy of your sleep study if you have it. Also, print out a couple of SleepyHead summaries to show your new doctor you are doing well on your current settings.

The more documentation you can show him, the less likelihood he would want a new study.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Be specific on model because it forces suppliers to comply. 
Demonstrate the success of your APAP and talk about how you are much more comfortable on your current settings.  My Br. Didn't like me playing with my settings but she couldn't argue with my success.
Post Reply Post Reply
None of them like to think you can do better then they can.
They think you think you know better! That is not the case, but you do see yourself every day and know yourself better than anyone.
That is what I told the last Sleep Nurse and she was fine with me playing with the settings, however, I now have a hard liner and I don't much like the way she talks down to me, so if she does that again there is going to be a battle of wills.
I hope it is another three years before I see her.

Do as above and take the settings you are on, ask for the machine you have already or better if you get away with it.
If you have old charts and new one if you have adjusted the machine, take both and show them you know what you are doing with a bit of advice and you are now doing better. In other words, what everyone above said.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-29-2018, 06:43 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Bring a copy of your sleep study if you have it.  Also, print out a couple of SleepyHead summaries to show your new doctor you are doing well on your current settings.  

The more documentation you can show him, the less likelihood he would want a new study.

I did exactly this!  My GP didn't want to see most of it, BUT I showed the papers to him (telling him what they were) so he could be confident in what I was asking for.  

On the printout of the main summary page on Sleepyhead, in front of him I circled (and read aloud) the dates I've been using my CPAP, I drew an arrow to my current pressure, and drew an arrow to my current AHI.  As a CPAP user himself, that sufficed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your help, guys!
Post Reply Post Reply
FYI - a prescription that is for a lifetime may no longer be recognized due to Medicare no longer recognizing them.  Just wanted you to know that.  Most DMEs will ask for an updated prescription annually because of this even if you are paying out of pocket!
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow. That's frustrating. Who wants to see a dr just to renew an Rx every year?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-31-2018, 11:41 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: Wow.  That's frustrating. Who wants to see a dr just to renew an Rx every year?

The doctor isn't going to complain too much about this. He or she gets to bill you and/or the insurance for the visit. It helps with the boat and Porsche payments.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 doesn't write SD data on some days only chipschap 7 715 10-07-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: chipschap
  air leakshi, I write from Italy. I use a resmed airsense 10 cpap at pressure 13 and a papaste 3 716 02-02-2023, 08:51 PM
Last Post: burgess4321
  How to write/express BiPAP pressure? spetzal 5 656 11-28-2022, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Forgot to slide the write-enable tab on the SD card AGAIN! cathyf 2 646 07-03-2022, 09:35 PM
Last Post: greatunclebill
  AS11 failed to write data last night Millstone50 1 686 02-03-2022, 04:07 PM
Last Post: sawinglogz
  [Equipment] SD Cards and write-protect becker44a 2 973 10-26-2019, 08:06 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Icon+ Won't Write to USB Arend 2 1,605 11-05-2016, 02:32 AM
Last Post: PsychoMike

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.