Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What supplies are needed for a newbie?
RE: What supplies are needed for a newbie?
(09-15-2017, 10:32 PM)kiwii Wrote: I'm so glad you asked this question. You're getting lots of good tips and I'm all ears. Smile

I don't know if others do this - it occurred to me to save the old cushions (cleaned of course) to use when I'm sick and then throw them away.

Yes, this is all very helpful. I don't get 2-day shipping, so I have to accumulate an order and wait many days for it. And I want to be prepared for the inaugural night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2017, 09:06 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote: I'm guessing I'll end up with a spare mask and hose when Medicare provides per its supplies schedule?

Yes, you will end up with a spare mask and other supplies when you reorder. Most items last longer than Medicare's resupply schedule, so you should be able use it to accumulate spare supplies.

(09-15-2017, 09:19 PM)HalfAsleep Wrote:
(09-15-2017, 08:51 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Don't overthink this too much.  It's pretty easy.  I think the number one item you don't have on your list is a  fleece cover for the CPAP hose.  It just makes it so much softer, quieter and easier to use.  When it brushes against your fact it feels like soft pajamas instead of a plastic hose.  

I use a 2-drawer table at the side of the bed, and the machine is inside the drawer.  The hose and power cord are routed through a 2-inch hole in the back I made with a hole saw, and the hose is hung from the headboard.  

I have always used tap water and never had problems dumping and rinsing each day.  I use Dawn dish soap for cleaning mask parts, and throw the headgear into the washer with the sheets. I rarely clean the hose.  If I clean the hose, I just put in a couple drops of soap, fill with water and alternately life each end. I dry it on a coat-hook on the bathroom door. I have two hoses and humidifier chambers, so things have plenty of time to dry.  If you have monthly mask cushion replacement and 6-month hose and humidity chamber replacement, cleaning is nearly optional.  Every couple weeks is more than enough, and monthly is okay.  More problems are caused by over-cleaning than neglect.  I'm pretty sure that is the cause of people claiming the Resmed P10 does not vent properly.  Observing your data is important at first, but I rarely check mine more than monthly now.

Relax, sleep, get into the therapy, but don't drive yourself crazy with the OCD stuff.

Do you have to take the hose cover off every time you wash the hose? Is that a drag to do?

Yes, you do need to take the hose cover off to wash your hose or hose cover. Some hose covers have a full length zipper that makes taking them off or putting them back onto the hose a breeze. The covers without a zipper aren't too bad the put on and take off. Pulling them off of the hose is very easy. I found that by putting a little kitchen plastic (Saran) wrap on the end of the hose end going into the cover first will help tremendously in getting the cover back on.

Sleeprider made some valid points on over cleaning. I have reduced my cleaning schedule to about half of the factory recommendation. Cleaning when it is needed, using a very weak soap solution to clean with and using warm instead of hot water will minimize wear and tear on the equipment.

(09-15-2017, 10:32 PM)kiwii Wrote: I don't know if others do this - it occurred to me to save the old cushions (cleaned of course) to use when I'm sick and then throw them away.

I was saving used cushions for a while. I found, however, that with proper care my nasal pillows will last two to three times what my insurance allows for replacement and my full face mask cushions will last about twice as long. After getting a stock of spare cushions built up I quit saving the old ones.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
One must have item I haven't seen mentioned so far is a high quality surge protector for your CPAP machine.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2017, 05:32 AM)pupcamper Wrote: One must have item I haven't seen mentioned so far is a high quality surge protector for your CPAP machine.

I am shopping joules. Many multi plugs that are sold as surge suppressors are actually fancy extension cords.

Any idea how many joules would be needed?

Some of the quality suppressors also come with warranty coverage for attached equipment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know if this would be of interest to you, it is probably overkill but I happen to have one on hand:

Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) - battery backup with alarm; also surge protection

We get power outages where we live, basically whenever there is a windstorm. With some masks it is harder to breath without power (air is coming through the vent rather than the hose), but my new mask doesn't have this problem so I may not follow through with this idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hopefully you'll be among the lucky people who never get creases on your cheeks from the headgear, even after several weeks or months, but if like me you eventually discover that you do, you'll be happy to have the link to Supplier #31, who makes and sells really great fleece pads, and provides excellent customer service.

Ask me how I know. Thumbs-up-2
Post Reply Post Reply
A hose hanger. It keeps the hose up and out of the way while you sleep. it make rolling over at night easier too.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2017, 07:55 AM)kiwii Wrote: I don't know if this would be of interest to you, it is probably overkill but I happen to have one on hand:

Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) - battery backup with alarm; also surge protection

We get power outages where we live, basically whenever there is a windstorm. With some masks it is harder to breath without power (air is coming through the vent rather than the hose), but my new mask doesn't have this problem so I may not follow through with this idea.

Great minds think alike. I have been looking at UPSes in lieu of a surge protector. I wouldn't get a big one, so there's not a huge difference in price.

I also will likely get a Goal Zero Yeti 400 (I get a pro deal) so I can go camping. I could always keep it indoors to use for power back up.
Post Reply Post Reply
That Yeti 400 looks nice. I never would have thought of something like that - thanks for mentioning it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2017, 07:17 PM)kiwii Wrote: That Yeti 400 looks nice. I never would have thought of something like that - thanks for mentioning it.

I figure I can recharge it while driving on a roadtrip. I can also use it for ipad, rechargeable mega-lumens Coleman lantern, and camera batteries.

I understand that the lower capacity Yeti will work for one night.

The 400 is on sale right now at a major outdoor store.

I could just plug into the Yeti if the power goes out in the house. Then I wouldn't be using an UPS.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 187 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Chart help needed SteveC 4 213 04-07-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: SteveC
  [Diagnosis] Second opinion on study is needed please Abdulfakih 17 403 04-04-2024, 08:42 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 130 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 211 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Help needed how to use cpap on a plane June11 3 202 04-02-2024, 11:09 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 194 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.