Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What to ask doctor about prescription for replacement machine, and then?
What to ask doctor about prescription for replacement machine, and then?
My father's CPAP is over five years old. (It is on the list of the Philips Recall, a System One.)

He is having a virtual appt. with the pulmonologist on Tuesday. We will ask for a prescription for a new machine. The doctor knows that.

What do we need to ask the doctor to make sure my father gets a machine that is suitable for him?

I have been reading posts here of serious problems with DMEs and used machines, getting a machine that is not right for the person, etc. (The section in the Wiki on "dealing with DMEs" is alarming.) I think this happened to us some years ago, and then we had to get a new machine in a year.

I looked for a recent thread on this subject, but could not find one.

Thanks very much. Smile
====
Am caring for nonagenarian parents:  one uses a ResMed Airsense 11, and the other a ResMed Astral 150, full face masks, oxygen, humidifiers, modems.

Anyone else caring for very elderly loved ones?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What to ask doctor about prescription for replacement machine, and then?
Our go-to CPAP class machine is the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet or AutoSet for Her. A slight preference for the "for Her" simply because it has an Extra Algorithm. Take whichever is available.
The new AS11 "AutoSet" likely will be there in the future.

That said, we don't know. We don't know what other medical conditions your father has and we don't know the nature of his Apnea. These can radically change what is appropriate for him.

Does he need a BiLevel, or a more advanced machine.
Which BiLevel? Each is targeted for different medical conditions.
Post Reply Post Reply
How to handle a DME. You are shopping at a store but you are shopping for a specific product, if they cannot deliver the product go elsewhere. When they offer a product inspect it. It should be new. Check the total run hours, usually in the about screen in the clinical menu. It sounds like some Dames are selling demo machines because inventory is low but representing them as New, they are after all, new to you. Machine life is important to you as that is, as you noted, a factor in the replacement metrics. Check the hours!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I feel I am lucky. When I was getting ready to get my replacement machine after 6 years (we felt we could wait the extra year as that is when I switched over toe Medicare) he asked me which machine I wanted.  At the time I had a PR System 1 and had been happy with it. After my sleep study, we talked about options and he gave me several and let me choose. I picked the ResMed and he wrote the script as dispense as written. He also wrote it so we can use any full face mask that is compatible with my machine. That was over 2 years ago and we have been very happy.

My wife asked her former sleep doctor about machines and was told the doc only supported PR machines - ie Dreamstations and when you went to her office, she displays all over the place pushing ozone based sanitizers. We fired her and changed docs and the doctor ordered a new sleep study as the old doc never sent any of the prior records over as they were conveniently lost. Due to my wife's complex apneas (she suffers from chronic pain) her doc chose the ResMed Air series and she has had good luck with that series. 

In a nutshell, work with your doc and let him know what machine you would like. Have your argument laid out in advance with the reasons and go from there.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks very much for your kind reply.

If you don't mind another question, what reasons should I give the doctor for requesting the ResMed Airsense?

Thanks. Smile
====
Am caring for nonagenarian parents:  one uses a ResMed Airsense 11, and the other a ResMed Astral 150, full face masks, oxygen, humidifiers, modems.

Post Reply Post Reply
Now, because of the recall, this is a very simple request. Philips is under Recall, and was the largest supplier in the US. ResMed was #2. "I don't trust Philips and would like you to write the Rx For ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet or AutoSet for Her, DAW, with heated hose and Mask of patients choice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gideon, thank you very much for your help.

Could you please tell me what DAW is? (The search function requires four characters.)
====

Post Reply Post Reply
DAW == Dispense As Written
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
DAW: Dispense as Written
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
PHolynyk and SleepRider, thanks very much. Smile
====

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,063 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,723 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 120 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,825 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 203 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,126 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.