Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What to do about three o'clock in the morning panic attacks?
RE: What to do about three o'clock in the morning panic attacks?
Happily I do not have any issues such as this. I empathize with those of you that do. I do have an issue waking up at 6:00 in the morning because a herd of wild buffalo is stampeding through the room. Well, maybe not buffalo, maybe just the two puppies. But it sounds like buffalo when you're trying to sleep.

As far as the not sleeping in the middle of the night is concerned? Instead of some of these drugs being talked about, I'm thinking if I did that I would try a joint, or tincture, of a nice herbal substance available at select "dispensaries" in many areas these days... Or by special request from your local teenage kid or something. I'm thinking that in my case, that might do as well as anything to relax me, and if not, I probably wouldn't really care. Not really advocating any illegal substance use here......... Just sayin'
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2014, 08:56 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: If I could only duplicate the quality of sleep that takes place in the first 3 hours (with no meds), I'd be so incredibly happy. But, I'm beginning to think this might just be the way it's going to be. BUT, I thought I'd never get below an AHI of 10 and now I'm at 3-4, so all things are possible I suppose.

For me, it eventually faded away. I would wake up 2-4 hours after falling asleep and have trouble falling back asleep. Gradually the number of nights where I had to get out of bed for awhile decreased, now it's rare. And there were set backs along the way. Two steps forward, one back. It's been almost three years and it's still improving.

Now I wake up after about 6 hours of sleep, sometimes I can get back to sleep and sometimes I can't. I have trouble falling asleep.

I've use sleeping pills sparingly with some success.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
try somnapure. many people that I know have tried it and say it works great. it is OTC and supposed to be all natural.

here is to a successful hosehead experience.

Post Reply Post Reply
Seem to have fixed the problem. I got a chinstrap and the anxiety attacks stopped.

I am not familiar enough with reading the data from Sleepyhead and ReScan, but am guessing that the problem was mouth breathing that somehow caused me cluster AHIs which in turn, made my body go into some kind of panic attacks, trying to get better oxygen.

Then I would wake up with my body panicking and bring my mind into the arena, making it worse. My mind was looking around trying to find the source of the body's panic attacks and transferring these fears to small everyday problems and making them into very big problems that seemed almost life or death situations.Oh-jeez

At one point in my life, I lost about 50 pounds, quit snoring and thought the apnea was cured. In a few weeks I began having a host of scary symptoms including chest pains in the night. Thought I was having a heart attack.

I went to a cardiologist and had a battery of tests with the cardiologist telling me I was in better shape than him though I was twice his age.

"Disgustingly normal." Was the verdict. As we talked I mentioned apnea in conjunction with the night chest pains. He told me that if I had an EKG at 3:00 am, he would've probably put me in a hospital! It could have read that serious.

Certainly my recent situation was not all that bad, but bad enough!

So I got a chin strap. A circular belt like device. However it slides off my head too eaisly. So I got one that covers my head and does not move, but I have a very big head (no remarks, pleaseLaugh-a-lot). A 7 3/4" hat is tight on me.

So this one-size-fits-all is just, plain too freaking tight. It hurts on its biggest Velcro settings. My face bulges out the openings. Makes it hard to sleep.

So I need an extra large chinstrap headgear, or I may need (shudder Dont-know) a full face mask. I don't want to go there, but must do one or the other.

I just got an Airfit to replace my Swift FX and it is lots better. Would rather not give it up.

Anyone have any ideas?
Post Reply Post Reply
Good to hear you're putting those panic-attacks behind you!

Jimzzz hooked me up with a Carefusion TMS-11 Puresom Ultra Chin Strap. It's a simple single band solution and it does stay put at night. I like it because it's much cooler than many of the alternatives. I wear it UNDER my P10 mask. It's inexpensive too.

....and Mrs. Retired_Guy says that when I'm done with it she could sew an elastic ring around the top of the bands and it would make a great thong!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2014, 07:02 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Good to hear you're putting those panic-attacks behind you!

Jimzzz hooked me up with a Carefusion TMS-11 Puresom Ultra Chin Strap. It's a simple single band solution and it does stay put at night. I like it because it's much cooler than many of the alternatives. I wear it UNDER my P10 mask. It's inexpensive too.

....and Mrs. Retired_Guy says that when I'm done with it she could sew an elastic ring around the top of the bands and it would make a great thong!

Cooler would be good. Don't see how it would stay in place, however.

This is the "full coverage" mask I got. Would work except it is too tight
[commercial link removed per Apnea Board rules]

Here is the single chin strap I got that keeps coming off.
[commercial link removed per Apnea Board rules]

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2014, 05:59 PM)Dolla Bill Wrote: I am not familiar enough with reading the data from Sleepyhead and ReScan, but am guessing that the problem was mouth breathing that somehow caused me cluster AHIs which in turn, made my body go into some kind of panic attacks, trying to get better oxygen.

Look at the leak graph. It's easy to see large regions of time when the leak is larger than usual. These are signs of mouth-leaking.

When that happens your CPAP machine can no longer maintain the air splint, your airway collapses, and renders the CPAP machine useless.

To learn more about serious issues with keeping chin straps in please start reading this thread here:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...2#pid44102

JJJ eventually had chin straps custom made.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2014, 08:30 PM)Dolla Bill Wrote: Cooler would be good. Don't see how it would stay in place, however.

staples.........
Actually, it does stay put. Maybe because it's under the P10 mask, maybe because it is so lightweight. Don't know. But I like it.

(07-30-2014, 08:30 PM)Dolla Bill Wrote: Here is the single chin strap I got that keeps coming off.

Yep, I tried one of those. Way too small. I could put it on, but it fit way too tight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good info in the chin strap post. 5 Pages! I'll check the Sleepyhead data with the info posted in this thread.

The/A chinstrap is the way to go. Definitely helping. May get some thread and see about modifying.

I really like the P10 Airfit. Don't want to go full-face, but it is a possibility. Would guess they have improved since I began using a CPAP six years ago.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not finding that a chin strap works for me. Think I am best going full face.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Do you turn off your Airsense in the morning after using? dharma2255 9 248 04-10-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 194 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  Airsense 10 / Oscar clock issue. pixpop 1 155 03-15-2024, 07:35 PM
Last Post: pixpop
  ENT / Morning Sleep r4robin 4 242 03-07-2024, 06:12 PM
Last Post: r4robin
  Syncing Airsense 10 clock IAXEM 0 148 03-06-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  Events worse in the morning and events in general getting worse Elizabeth79 45 2,100 02-14-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Elizabeth79
  CPAP for panic attacks HalfAsleep 3 319 02-03-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.