Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What to do if you have a long term middle ear clog?
What to do if you have a long term middle ear clog?
Situation...awoke one morning with a left ear "plugged up/clogged." Was on the tail end of a severe cold, and had not used the Adapt ASV S9 for several days (simply impossible with the cold going on). Clog has remained for 2 weeks.

Now I have a GREAT fear that if I resume, the ASV pressure in mouth, (and mine will go to 25 if apnea occurs) may force the clog to be more permanent by sending that high pressure up the Eustachian tube, pressing the clog fully and permanently into the middle ear.

Thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What to do if you have a long term middle ear clog?
Use a nasal spray containing xylitol (don't let the dog get it or your kleenex, xylitol is poison for mutts). method of spraying is important as well, lean down and spray towards back of head instead of spraying up the nose towards the top of the head - this is a great method for unclogging the eustachian tubes. It has worked for me when I needed it.

This shows how to use nasal sprays to clear eustachian tubes: http://www.fauquierent.net/etd2.htm
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2015, 06:04 PM)DariaVader Wrote: Use a nasal spray containing xylitol (don't let the dog get it or your kleenex, xylitol is poison for mutts). method of spraying is important as well, lean down and spray towards back of head instead of spraying up the nose towards the top of the head - this is a great method for unclogging the eustachian tubes. It has worked for me when I needed it.

This shows how to use nasal sprays to clear eustachian tubes: http://www.fauquierent.net/etd2.htm

An ENT has me on prednizone 9 day declining course, and nasal spray Fluticazone Propionate <<$$$. The link will change the way I have been using THAT though.

Don't think I should add another spray on top of the prescribed one. Have seen no help from the prescribed stuff yet (3 days).

My main question is about resuming the high pressure PAP.

Post Reply Post Reply
I would discuss it with the ENT, but I would be inclined to use the PAP. I did when my ears were clogged, even tho the PAP probably contributed to the clogging. (Bad cold, + airline flight --- clogged for ~ 6 weeks last year)

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2015, 06:53 PM)DariaVader Wrote: --- clogged for ~ 6 weeks last year)

Well that improved my outlook a bit--that it could take as long as six weeks. At 2 weeks now, I had decided it was probably permanent. Most I have had in the past was not even an hour. I was envisioning the snot drying out in there and it just staying there forever.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2015, 06:04 PM)DariaVader Wrote: Use a nasal spray containing xylitol (don't let the dog get it or your kleenex, xylitol is poison for mutts). method of spraying is important as well, lean down and spray towards back of head instead of spraying up the nose towards the top of the head - this is a great method for unclogging the eustachian tubes. It has worked for me when I needed it.

THANK YOU! I sent myself that link. My ears have been clogged a long time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Talk to your ENT ASAP about your CPAP use. If nothing else, you can attempt to lower the pressure of your machine until it is where you can handle it. Lower the min and max by half and try again then increase until it gets to be too much then decrease a notch or two. Of course, do this while awake and laying down, not during the night when you are trying to sleep. Give it several minutes to "settle" before deciding it if is of good or of evil.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Paula, that won't work with an ASV. It won't kick the pressure up until it detects an event.

And my mind is saying that a single moment of "too high" during either "testing" or use could force some of the undesirable material into an even worse state--and removing the pressure after that would not necessarily cause it to 'release.'
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2015, 09:03 PM)jcarerra Wrote: Paula, that won't work with an ASV. It won't kick the pressure up until it detects an event.

And my mind is saying that a single moment of "too high" during either "testing" or use could force some of the undesirable material into an even worse state--and removing the pressure after that would not necessarily cause it to 'release.'

Have you tried anything in that link Daria gave you concerning clearing Eustachian tube blockage? I thought there was a lot of value there.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2015, 09:03 PM)jcarerra Wrote: Paula, that won't work with an ASV. It won't kick the pressure up until it detects an event.

PAP Pressure might contribute to ear clogginess, but if you are under treatment it is unlikely to pop the drum, which is the most drastic consequence of clogged ear. That scenario requires a *great deal* of snotty material and comes after some hours of excruciating pain - not just a feeling of fullness. I have a short face (and therefore a flat angle on the eustachian tube) and suffered constant ear infections every winter as a child and have had many as an adult. My ears have hurt *real bad* along with fullness, without ever popping

putting oil drops in your ear is the old fashioned way to safeguard them against popping.

I guess my path would be to use some olive oil and go ahead with pap. if ears begin to have pain as a result get right off the pap. It is unlikely that you will get so much impacted material that it can never come out.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long story short chronic 5 381 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 559 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 215 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 615 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Long time CPAP user still fatigued enigmatic 101 6,810 12-02-2023, 01:46 AM
Last Post: enigmatic
  Weird neck/throat movements. Is there a term for this? Rebdr 1 312 10-19-2023, 05:39 AM
Last Post: Rebdr
  50 second long central apnea esaulcatnas 6 678 09-04-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: esaulcatnas

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.