Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What to do if you have a long term middle ear clog?
RE: What to do if you have a long term middle ear clog?
(11-06-2015, 09:54 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Have you tried anything in that link Daria gave you concerning clearing Eustachian tube blockage? I thought there was a lot of value there.

Yes. It is a good link did instruct well on how to get whatever you are putting in directed better at the tube. And this morning's spray application will be done that way.

I am not going to add a second spray overlapping the prescription one during the same time frame. Just don't think that would be smart.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-06-2015, 10:06 PM)DariaVader Wrote: PAP Pressure might contribute to ear clogginess, but if you are under treatment it is unlikely to pop the drum, which is the most drastic consequence of clogged ear. That scenario requires a *great deal* of snotty material and comes after some hours of excruciating pain - not just a feeling of fullness. I have a short face (and therefore a flat angle on the eustachian tube) and suffered constant ear infections every winter as a child and have had many as an adult. My ears have hurt *real bad* along with fullness, without ever popping

putting oil drops in your ear is the old fashioned way to safeguard them against popping.

I guess my path would be to use some olive oil and go ahead with pap. if ears begin to have pain as a result get right off the pap. It is unlikely that you will get so much impacted material that it can never come out.

I hear you and you are PROBABLY right. So far, no pain, so I suppose that's a big upside. I admit though to a strong fear of doing anything that might make the situation worse--or change a situation headed ultimately to resolution into an unresolvable (without surgery) one

Post Reply Post Reply
I would be interested to hear how you progress with the nasal spray and I think that others might also.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2015, 12:26 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I would be interested to hear how you progress with the nasal spray and I think that others might also.
So far, I see no improvement from the prednizone nor the prescribed spray.

I HAVE concluded just this AM that the single morning spray is giving me a slight hoarseness. I noticed it before having 'come in' during morning and was attributing it to the cold trying to resurrect itself. But by nighttime, voice is pretty clear, then an hour or so after the morning spray, the hoarseness is back.

Post Reply Post Reply
It sounded to me like it might be more of a middle to long term solution but that may just be my perception.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
fluticazone has hoarseness as a side effect. I use it for asthma when i get bronchial infections and it makes my throat *very* sore. I stop it as soon as possible! The directions for the fluticazone inhaler say to wait a minute and then flush your throat and mouth with water, and/or mouthwash. seems to me you could apply that same principle to the nasal spray...

I hate using fluticazone and will do a lot of work to avoid it. If it were me, i would use the saline spray (with xylitol) all day in between doses (if i consented to use the fluticazone at all....)

Another excellent side effect of fluticazone is that it impedes healing. It is a corticosteroid and impairs immune function.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Now home from the long term away.
Predizone series and spray have not cleared the clog or changed anything.
Just short of 4 weeks total now.
Appt with my regular local ENT is Nov 30;
earliest I could get (made a couple of weeks after this started).

Appt with sleep doc tomorrow.

This is a pretty awful state of affairs. I am "into" gospel music, and NOTHING sounds right any more, whether listening or singing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your concern about the ASV machine going up to 25 cm/H2O should be a non-starter. You can set the max PS which is what controls the pressure the machine can go to when it senses a CA. You can discuss that with your sleep doc when you see him tomorrow.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2015, 10:49 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Your concern about the ASV machine going up to 25 cm/H2O should be a non-starter. You can set the max PS which is what controls the pressure the machine can go to when it senses a CA. You can discuss that with your sleep doc when you see him tomorrow.
Sure, but 25 per se is not the issue...15 or 8 or whatever might be enough to force the material "harder into" the cavity.

Also, I don't think he would change it without doing another sleep study titration. If XX psi is what solves the apnea, how could they legitimately set it less than that?

But absolutely, I will be discussing this situation thoroughly with him.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] long desaturations Mshull 4 135 5 hours ago
Last Post: Dormeo
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 256 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  Middle of the night wakeup SteveC 1 119 04-10-2024, 08:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Long story short chronic 5 416 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 581 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 245 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 652 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.