Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What to do with day time sleepiness, I'm desperate
RE: What to do with day time sleepiness, I'm desperate
I see. Thanks for the info.
Post Reply Post Reply
DOOM_NX, The Government will give only one machine, the Elite.
It doesn't matter what the Dr. recommends.
If I qualify for a free machine, it is the Elite I will be getting. I have to like it or lump it.
At this particular time in my life, I have to like it. As I said earlier, I would like to maybe purchase the Auto down the track but for the moment I will very happily make do with the fixed Elite.
I won't know what the Auto is like so hopefully I will think the fixed is the magic elixir I have been waiting for.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
So you only have 1 model available... This sucks for Australia... Sad

Fixed is fine. You may just find it a little uncomfortable until you get used to the higher pressure.

Best of luck to you and get better soon! <3
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2013, 06:11 PM)Gabby Wrote: I won't know what the Auto is like so hopefully I will think the fixed is the magic elixir I have been waiting for.
I believe its a good idea to start with the Elite (an auto can be problematic especially for newbies) which can set at your titrated pressure.
Down the track when you have gained some experience and confidence (if wanted but not necessary) you can play with an auto machine, Plus the Elite is data capable machine ... not a brick

Actually comes down to mask choice, size and comfort, don,t be afraid to try different styles/sizes, comfortable mask is the most essential part of the treatment. Also for me, I cannot use CPAP without humidifier (some can) breathing cold air irritating and makes my nose unhappy
In a nutshell, imo .. right mask choice and optimal humidity setting are paramount

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2013, 07:14 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Gabby, talk to your GP and get him/her to refer you to another sleep centre where you can be seen quicker. You're not that far out of Brisbane and there must be a lot of clinics there. Once you've had the test the clinic should be able to give you a machine straight away - there's no need to wait weeks for a prescription. In fact a prescription isn't required here in Australia.

I've just gone back to your original post and see that your AHI on test was 17.5. That is moderate apnea. I wonder if there's something else at play here in addition to your apnea? Are you on any medications that might be causing this excessive sleepiness (or a combination of medications)? I really think you should talk to your GP ASAP and get the CPAP sorted but also rule out any other cause of the problem.

In the meantime, there's some really good advice in the previous posts.

Note: I've edited this post to say "Sunshine Coast" and not "Gold Coast". The same information is true for both locations.

DeepBreathing,
Thanks for the link about suppliers. I have found a good supplier for my mask and my hiring about 20 minutes from where I live. I have been in touch with them and I am so pleased there is someone close by for me to be able to trial masks. Most importantly they have very competitive prices.
Otherwise the closest would be a good 90 minutes drives away.
I appreciate the advice you gave me, many thanks.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Good news, just had a phone call from Sleep Clinic and I am booked in for 11th January!
Cannot wait, now I see a light at the end of the tunnel. Thumbs-up-2Thumbs-up-2
Thank you all for your support this far.
I am sure once I am in possession of THE machine and the mask, many more questions will follow.
Happy New Year to you all and your families.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Good news Gabby, have they made the follow up appointment with you to go through your results and give you the script, you may want to do that so you don't have to wait too long after the sleep study.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2013, 06:46 PM)zonk Wrote:
(12-30-2013, 06:11 PM)Gabby Wrote: I won't know what the Auto is like so hopefully I will think the fixed is the magic elixir I have been waiting for.
I believe its a good idea to start with the Elite (an auto can be problematic especially for newbies) which can set at your titrated pressure.
Down the track when you have gained some experience and confidence (if wanted but not necessary) you can play with an auto machine, Plus the Elite is data capable machine ... not a brick

Actually comes down to mask choice, size and comfort, don,t be afraid to try different styles/sizes, comfortable mask is the most essential part of the treatment. Also for me, I cannot use CPAP without humidifier (some can) breathing cold air irritating and makes my nose unhappy
In a nutshell, imo .. right mask choice and optimal humidity setting are paramount

Thanks Zonk for giving me some encouragement about the fixed machine. It is hard to get excited about the Elite when I see most Hoseheads go for the Auto, so thanks.
My next question was going to be, Humidifier or no humidifier? Do you know if that question has been asked before and if so, could you lead me to it please? I don't want to ask again if all the answers are there, waiting to be read.
Cheers!
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
Humidifier or no humidifier?

The humidifier is regarded as a comfort feature - the air straight from the machine tends to be cool and dry. A lot of people find this uncomfortable, and it can dry your nasal passages causing stuffiness. It can also cause a sore throat if you breathe through your mouth with a full face mask. The humidifier adds warmth and moisture to the airflow, giving a much more pleasant experience. As far as I can see, the great majority of people of the forums use a humidifier.

Although it's regarded as a comfort feature, if you can't breath 'coz your nose is stuffed up then you're not getting proper benefit from your therapy. I don't know if you Dr can include the humidifier on your prescription, but try to ensure that he does.

All ResMed S9 machines use the same humidifier - the H5i. It's a very neat unit which attaches to the side of the blower unit. You can also get a heated hose ("ClimateLine")to go together with the H5i - this is the best of both worlds. You get nice warm moist air coming through with no chance of "rainout". Rainout is when the moisture condenses in the hose and you get drops of water blown at your face - not conducive to restful sleep. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2013, 07:21 PM)Tez62 Wrote: Good news Gabby, have they made the follow up appointment with you to go through your results and give you the script, you may want to do that so you don't have to wait too long after the sleep study.

Tez62, Once the prescription comes through, which I will plead with them to please be as quick as possible, I then pass it on to the hospital but meanwhile I can finally start to rent the Elite with the Rx in it. Provision of being given a free one from Government is you have to show good faith and rent one for at least two months first, which is fine by me. I just want to get this ball rolling.
I have found a supplier 20 minutes away, that will only charge me $60 (less than half price) a month to rent providing I buy the mask from them, and she will put the Rx in for me and help me out with any future problems. I feel better going to someone close, so as I can trial the masks. That was my main concern with buying on the Internet.
Now the next big question is humidifier or not? The nurse at the hospital said I didn't need one. So I don't know whether to get one and have it ready, or try first without it and get it down the track.
Anyway, I feel as if I have had a huge weight lifted now that I have that date. Nothing or no one is going to stop me going this time.
Thanks for your continued support.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 215 03-27-2024, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,455 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Daytime sleepiness zzcop302 0 99 03-15-2024, 05:50 PM
Last Post: zzcop302
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 624 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 245 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 175 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 813 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.