Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What to do with day time sleepiness, I'm desperate
RE: What to do with day time sleepiness, I'm desperate
(12-30-2013, 08:33 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Humidifier or no humidifier?

The humidifier is regarded as a comfort feature - the air straight from the machine tends to be cool and dry. A lot of people find this uncomfortable, and it can dry your nasal passages causing stuffiness. It can also cause a sore throat if you breathe through your mouth with a full face mask. The humidifier adds warmth and moisture to the airflow, giving a much more pleasant experience. As far as I can see, the great majority of people of the forums use a humidifier.

Although it's regarded as a comfort feature, if you can't breath 'coz your nose is stuffed up then you're not getting proper benefit from your therapy. I don't know if you Dr can include the humidifier on your prescription, but try to ensure that he does.

All ResMed S9 machines use the same humidifier - the H5i. It's a very neat unit which attaches to the side of the blower unit. You can also get a heated hose ("ClimateLine")to go together with the H5i - this is the best of both worlds. You get nice warm moist air coming through with no chance of "rainout". Rainout is when the moisture condenses in the hose and you get drops of water blown at your face - not conducive to restful sleep. Smile

Thanks Paul, You make the humidifier sound like a nice experience and as you say the majority of people around here use them. I more than likely will get one.
I would like to hear from some people that don't use them but I think they are few and far between. Maybe I will post the question on the main board.
I like the sound of the heated hose and no chance of 'rainouts'.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2013, 09:20 PM)Gabby Wrote: I would like to hear from some people that don't use them but I think they are few and far between.
SuperSleeper is known not using any humidifier but his favorite drink is strong/hot Colombian, maybe that got something to do with it Dielaughing

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2013, 07:30 PM)Gabby Wrote:
(12-30-2013, 06:46 PM)zonk Wrote:
(12-30-2013, 06:11 PM)Gabby Wrote: I won't know what the Auto is like so hopefully I will think the fixed is the magic elixir I have been waiting for.
I believe its a good idea to start with the Elite (an auto can be problematic especially for newbies) which can set at your titrated pressure.
Down the track when you have gained some experience and confidence (if wanted but not necessary) you can play with an auto machine, Plus the Elite is data capable machine ... not a brick

Actually comes down to mask choice, size and comfort, don,t be afraid to try different styles/sizes, comfortable mask is the most essential part of the treatment. Also for me, I cannot use CPAP without humidifier (some can) breathing cold air irritating and makes my nose unhappy
In a nutshell, imo .. right mask choice and optimal humidity setting are paramount

Thanks Zonk for giving me some encouragement about the fixed machine. It is hard to get excited about the Elite when I see most Hoseheads go for the Auto, so thanks.
My next question was going to be, Humidifier or no humidifier? Do you know if that question has been asked before and if so, could you lead me to it please? I don't want to ask again if all the answers are there, waiting to be read.
Cheers!

I started out with an Elite in 2011 and used it until Sept. 2013 when I got an auto. The 2 DME's I had never could get the data off of my SD card with the Elite or one of them wanted to charge me $25 to do it and I refused to pay for that so for the most part, nobody was watching what was going on with me and I had not found this forum so I was about like the bricks. All I could say was that I wasn't getting better and still had really fragmented sleep. Things are finally a little bit better since I finally found a mask that is working and I now watch my data. Hopefully I will get the results of my last sleep study soon and know more what they are going to do with me.

Glad that you got your sleep study scheduled.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2013, 10:02 PM)me50 Wrote:
(12-30-2013, 07:30 PM)Gabby Wrote:
(12-30-2013, 06:46 PM)zonk Wrote: I believe its a good idea to start with the Elite (an auto can be problematic especially for newbies) which can set at your titrated pressure.
Down the track when you have gained some experience and confidence (if wanted but not necessary) you can play with an auto machine, Plus the Elite is data capable machine ... not a brick

Actually comes down to mask choice, size and comfort, don,t be afraid to try different styles/sizes, comfortable mask is the most essential part of the treatment. Also for me, I cannot use CPAP without humidifier (some can) breathing cold air irritating and makes my nose unhappy
In a nutshell, imo .. right mask choice and optimal humidity setting are paramount

Thanks Zonk for giving me some encouragement about the fixed machine. It is hard to get excited about the Elite when I see most Hoseheads go for the Auto, so thanks.
My next question was going to be, Humidifier or no humidifier? Do you know if that question has been asked before and if so, could you lead me to it please? I don't want to ask again if all the answers are there, waiting to be read.
Cheers!

I started out with an Elite in 2011 and used it until Sept. 2013 when I got an auto. The 2 DME's I had never could get the data off of my SD card with the Elite or one of them wanted to charge me $25 to do it and I refused to pay for that so for the most part, nobody was watching what was going on with me and I had not found this forum so I was about like the bricks. All I could say was that I wasn't getting better and still had really fragmented sleep. Things are finally a little bit better since I finally found a mask that is working and I now watch my data. Hopefully I will get the results of my last sleep study soon and know more what they are going to do with me.

Me50, So sorry you had a horrible run with your Elite, that must have been so frustrating for you. Imagine wanting to charge you $25 to retrieve your data, I wouldn't have paid it either. Would they not exchange or fix the machine for you? To go all that time using a machine and getting no better, terrible. So pleased you are now on the right track and especially with your Wisp mask. I will be sure to trial the Wisp when I am trying out masks.
Thanks for your continued help and encouragement and a very happy new year to you and your family.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2013, 09:27 PM)zonk Wrote:
(12-30-2013, 09:20 PM)Gabby Wrote: I would like to hear from some people that don't use them but I think they are few and far between.
SuperSleeper is known not using any humidifier but his favorite drink is strong/hot Colombian, maybe that got something to do with it Dielaughing

Well if I have to drink that to survive going without a humidifier, I have already ordered it!
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2013, 02:16 AM)Gabby Wrote: He doesn't really want me to get a machine on my own and rang the clinic for me, and I am back on the cancellation list.

He is correct. The most common form of sleep disordered breathing (SDB) is obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) which can be treated fairly simply with a CPAP machine, provided the patient gets along well with the machine.

But there are other forms of SDB besides OSA, and there are other conditions and issues that can interfere with sleep. That's why a proper sleep study is so important.

The good news for you Gabby is that once you get on CPAP therapy you will begin to notice improvements not only in your excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS) but also you will very likely get relief from your headaches, and from stress, too.

I hope you get treated as soon as possible. There is nothing more important than your health, and if you have OSA you're doing a lot of damage to your cardiovascular system because you are repeatedly waking yourself up to breathe, possibly as many as 20 times per hour or more. This number is called your AHI. Mine was 23. My son's was 108. The goal is to get it down below 5.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2013, 09:08 PM)Gabby Wrote: [quote='Tez62' pid='53855' dateline='1388449309']

Tez62, Once the prescription comes through, which I will plead with them to please be as quick as possible, I then pass it on to the hospital but meanwhile I can finally start to rent the Elite with the Rx in it. Provision of being given a free one from Government is you have to show good faith and rent one for at least two months first, which is fine by me. I just want to get this ball rolling.
I have found a supplier 20 minutes away, that will only charge me $60 (less than half price) a month to rent providing I buy the mask from them, and she will put the Rx in for me and help me out with any future problems. I feel better going to someone close, so as I can trial the masks. That was my main concern with buying on the Internet.
Now the next big question is humidifier or not? The nurse at the hospital said I didn't need one. So I don't know whether to get one and have it ready, or try first without it and get it down the track.
Anyway, I feel as if I have had a huge weight lifted now that I have that date. Nothing or no one is going to stop me going this time.
Thanks for your continued support.

Thats good, try to rent the mask as well so you can change it if you need to, the place I go to rents them for the first couple of months then the renting cost comes off the purchase price, I had to change mine 5 times in the first month. Some are lucky and get the right one first time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2013, 12:05 AM)Sleepster Wrote: The good news for you Gabby is that once you get on CPAP therapy you will begin to notice improvements not only in your excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS) but also you will very likely get relief from your headaches, and from stress, too.

This is so true. My morning headaches are completely gone now. It makes a difference on so many levels (including appetite, mood and memory)!

Regarding the humidifier it's a comfort feature, but it really helps if you have a nose that stuffs easily or suffer from allergic rhinitis. Especially during the winter months, it helps keep the mucus membranes moist and the temperature of air that is reaching to your lungs ideal.

Having said that, my mother does incredibly well without one. Her body has become accustomed to CPAP usage.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2013, 11:03 PM)Gabby Wrote:
(12-30-2013, 10:02 PM)me50 Wrote:
(12-30-2013, 07:30 PM)Gabby Wrote: Thanks Zonk for giving me some encouragement about the fixed machine. It is hard to get excited about the Elite when I see most Hoseheads go for the Auto, so thanks.
Cheers!

Me50, So sorry you had a horrible run with your Elite, that must have been so frustrating for you. Imagine wanting to charge you $25 to retrieve your data, I wouldn't have paid it either. Would they not exchange or fix the machine for you? To go all that time using a machine and getting no better, terrible. So pleased you are now on the right track and especially with your Wisp mask. I will be sure to trial the Wisp when I am trying out masks.
Thanks for your continued help and encouragement and a very happy new year to you and your family.

I think the issues I have wasn't so much the Elite as it was a combination of things. The pressure was set at 12 but I was using a Quattro FX FFM and it was too big as was the head gear and it was leaking and the leaking was part of why I was having fragmented sleep. Once I got the right size cushion and headgear, it was better but because I had a FFM, it was still leaking and causing fragmented sleep. The DME NEVER, in over 2 years, showed me any other masks. They make their biggest money on selling machines, not supplies and so they didn't spend time on dealing with my mask issues. Funny thing is, if they would have gotten the mask issues settled, I wouldn't have continued to come in for appointments trying to figure out what was going on. I also have my doubts as to whether some of those that work for the DME are really RT's and not just people that provide the supplies as needed. Anyway, hopefully I can find out if I need a different machine soon and with the wisp and chin strap, my sleep will finally be better. My AHI's and leaks are really good but the fragmented sleep is what causes me to have EDS no energy. I was hoping that I would know my sleep study results by now. I never gave up though because not using my machine could mean that I would wake up dead and I am not ready for that.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2013, 12:43 AM)Tez62 Wrote:
(12-30-2013, 09:08 PM)Gabby Wrote: [quote='Tez62' pid='53855' dateline='1388449309']

Tez62, Once the prescription comes through, which I will plead with them to please be as quick as possible, I then pass it on to the hospital but meanwhile I can finally start to rent the Elite with the Rx in it. Provision of being given a free one from Government is you have to show good faith and rent one for at least two months first, which is fine by me. I just want to get this ball rolling.
I have found a supplier 20 minutes away, that will only charge me $60 (less than half price) a month to rent providing I buy the mask from them, and she will put the Rx in for me and help me out with any future problems. I feel better going to someone close, so as I can trial the masks. That was my main concern with buying on the Internet.
Now the next big question is humidifier or not? The nurse at the hospital said I didn't need one. So I don't know whether to get one and have it ready, or try first without it and get it down the track.
Anyway, I feel as if I have had a huge weight lifted now that I have that date. Nothing or no one is going to stop me going this time.
Thanks for your continued support.

Thats good, try to rent the mask as well so you can change it if you need to, the place I go to rents them for the first couple of months then the renting cost comes off the purchase price, I had to change mine 5 times in the first month. Some are lucky and get the right one first time.

That sounds a great way to test the masks but my supplier doesn't do it that way unfortunately. They just give me a week to trial masks, which isn't very long at all, is it? I wish they did what your place did. I don't know what else to do as they are the closest, all others are at least ninety minutes away. I've picked out a couple of popular masks , so here is hoping I will be lucky.

Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] CPAP works, but at the same time doesn't AUniqueUsername 2 45 28 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 56 846 6 hours ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Oscar 1.4.0 software time change keithy62 2 114 04-12-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: keithy62
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 264 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 295 03-27-2024, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,936 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Daytime sleepiness zzcop302 0 139 03-15-2024, 05:50 PM
Last Post: zzcop302

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.