Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What to do with my extra energy
(07-04-2016, 03:02 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Frank,
Do you have any plans to put some of your practice sessions on your blog?
That would be good to hear.
I played flute from late elementary school all the way up through highschool.. By now, I'm sure I'm quite rusty. I have an old flute around here but it's in bad need of repair and other priorities have to come first.
Good luck to you with your cello.

I am going to be posting sessions. I am not playing music per se for a while, I am working on etudes and other methods. Basically I want to get intonation and bowing under control before starting with actually playing something that makes sense Smile I am going to post a couple long bow open string sessions in a day or two and then I am debating posting an entire practice sessions of an hour - that should bore anyone to death - lol.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2016, 04:13 PM)FrankNichols Wrote: [quote='trish6hundred' pid='167763' dateline='1467662528']
I am working on etudes and other methods.

isn't learning by etude a bit archaic. I thought the practice had been abandoned for rhythmic experiments with scales of durations.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am sure it is, like I said in my blog I have no idea what I am doing, I am also working from Schreoders Book.
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply

Well Schreoders Violoncello etudes have been used by many for a hundred years, I am sure they will work one more time.

It just very 20th century.

Gook luck with your practice Frank
just don't let hem fool you into thinking A#= Bb
Post Reply Post Reply
"just don't let hem fool you into thinking A#= Bb"

Only on those dang keyboard thingies made for .... (some) musicians
Post Reply Post Reply
That's a really inspiriting story! I wound always want to learn piano Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Frank, how did you start off? I am really wanting to get a mandolin, but I have never played a stringed instrument aside from hacking around on a guitar a little many years ago. Did you watch videos or use a book or take lessons? I am wondering how you start from scratch on an unfamiliar instrument.

I've been watching Chris Thile videos, but he plays too fast for me to see exactly what he's doing. Grin

(07-04-2016, 04:13 PM)FrankNichols Wrote: I am going to be posting sessions. I am not playing music per se for a while, I am working on etudes and other methods. Basically I want to get intonation and bowing under control before starting with actually playing something that makes sense Smile I am going to post a couple long bow open string sessions in a day or two and then I am debating posting an entire practice sessions of an hour - that should bore anyone to death - lol.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2016, 07:41 PM)green wings Wrote: Frank, how did you start off? I am really wanting to get a mandolin, but I have never played a stringed instrument aside from hacking around on a guitar a little many years ago. Did you watch videos or use a book or take lessons? I am wondering how you start from scratch on an unfamiliar instrument.

I've been watching Chris Thile videos, but he plays too fast for me to see exactly what he's doing. Grin

(07-04-2016, 04:13 PM)FrankNichols Wrote: I am going to be posting sessions. I am not playing music per se for a while, I am working on etudes and other methods. Basically I want to get intonation and bowing under control before starting with actually playing something that makes sense Smile I am going to post a couple long bow open string sessions in a day or two and then I am debating posting an entire practice sessions of an hour - that should bore anyone to death - lol.

If you go to my blog, MeAndMyCello.com and scroll down to the bottom I start off at 0 hours of practice. It is the story of how I got started, which is mostly obvious stuff. The next is 30 hours, which is where I had a issue with my first cello and had to swap it for a replacement, then at 112 hours I explain my first month of practicing sort of. I also talk about spending time each night researching tutorials on youtube, and finding prefaces to listen to - many where I can watch and listen to see how someone that knows what they are doing does. I am working on a section of "What'll I do" which will explain each part of what I am doing, setting up a practice area, equipment and apps ( like metronome, chromatic tuner, etc) and desk, chair, etc. What I am starting off doing, and what I am practicing. I will be posting some recordings of bits and pieces of my practicing to show what I am talking about and how I am progressing.

Good luck, I do think we can do this without teachers, but I don't expect it to be fast. As Jobs said, the Journey is the reward. I look forward to figuring out how to do things on my own. And so far I am really loving the cello - I can't wait until I upgrade from my low end student cello to a "real" cello.
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you considered 'volunteering'? I'm not talking about a stint in the US armed forces but finding some sort of service outlet where you can volunteer your unpaid time. It could be "Meals on Wheels", your local Salvation Army shop, reading to dementia patients...

Everyone I know who has done this has found it so rewarding.
Post Reply Post Reply

(07-06-2016, 04:49 AM)holden4th Wrote: Have you considered 'volunteering'? I'm not talking about a stint in the US armed forces but finding some sort of service outlet where you can volunteer your unpaid time. It could be "Meals on Wheels", your local Salvation Army shop, reading to dementia patients...

Everyone I know who has done this has found it so rewarding.

We already do things sort of like that, we hand out blankets to homeless in the winter, water in the summer, we take food out on occasion. I have done that most of my life. I prefer to do it myself instead of working with an organization.

The cello is something for me, I spent my life supporting and raising a family, 70 to 80 hour weeks were not uncommon. My nest is empty now, and I feel I have earned a little me time and focus.
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Extra mask supplies ? GrammaBear 4 71 3 hours ago
Last Post: PaulaO2