Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What to look for in SleepyHead?
What to look for in SleepyHead?
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about a year and a half ago and have been using a Philips Respironics DreamStation since then. My average AHI for the last 6 months is right around 8 and I'm working with an auto-pressure setting of between 5 and 20 (although my pressure never goes above 12).

When I first started using my CPAP I was disappointed with my numbers and hoped that they would get better with some other lifestyle improvements. I never really experienced an improvement in my energy during the day. Actually, it's gotten worse in the time I've been using my machine, but I attribute that more to being hypothyroid and other related issues. I've finally thought to do some research on my apnea and found out about SleepyHead through this forum.

So I've installed SleepyHead and now and I'm not sure where to start looking for issues. Leaks look fine. Otherwise, there's just a ton of events. Not sure if you'll be able to see my screen shot, but I'd appreciate any suggestions where to look for issues.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What to look for in SleepyHead?
Check out Organize your SleepyHead Charts

You have quite a mixture of events.
I'll let the more experienced folks respond further.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Urora, I'd like to see you increase your minimum pressure to 7.0 for now and probably to 8.0 later as we see how it works out. This is going to give you much more stable pressure for treatment, and put your pressure in a therapeutic range, right from the start. A minimum pressure of 7.0 is still pretty low but it can prevent the airway obstruction that is occurring in the form of snores, flow-limitations, and leading into hypopnea. It can also prevent your machine from over-reacting and driving up pressure to an uncomfortable range. It should also help you get your mask fit correct.

At this point, I think most of the CA events in the later portion of your chart are related to disrupted sleep. I think you will find that less fluctuation of pressure is more restful. If you would like you may set a maximum pressure limit of 10 cm. You apparently don't tolerate the higher pressures well and we can put a cap on pressure without adversely affecting your treatment. Give a minimum pressure of 7.0 a try, maximum 10 for several days, and let's take a look at what remains to be done.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice, Sleeprider. I'll give a 7-10 range a try for a while and see how it goes.

I do have a pattern of higher AHIs when I get longer sleeps, and mostly due to CAs. That may be just disturbed sleep, though, from the kids or hubby getting up and moving around before me, even the furnace starting to come on.

I'll post how this goes.

Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck! I think this should help. Keep in touch.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Urora,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy and getting it fine-tuned to better help you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
My first night at the suggested settings were modestly positive. My AHI was lower than usual and my tidal volume was as high as I've ever seen it. I hope it wasn't a fluke. We'll see.
Post Reply Post Reply
So far, so good. We don't promise miracles, but hopefully you are comfortable. It's all about you taking control of your own therapy and doing what is necessary with an understanding of what the data means for your treatment.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I've been using the new settings (APAP pressure between 7 and 10) for a few months now and it has improved my AHI from an average of 8.25 to 5.65. Looks like progress.

Any more suggestions for getting my AHI lower or kinds of patterns to look at that are causing me trouble?

I'm afraid there might not be anything else to do. It looks like most of my higher numbers are when my sleep gets interrupted (my 4-year old wakes up a lot in the night) or when I sleep late into the morning.

[Image: 3D20VIGl.png]

Anyway, I'd love any suggestions.
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Not being an expert on Sleephead, I would put your uper pressure up to max of 14 and lower to 8.

Other might have other ideas that understand Sleephead a bit better.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.