Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Taking mask off in the middle of the night?
Taking mask off in the middle of the night?
Hello! I'm about 5 weeks into CPAP treatment, and when I manage to keep my mask on all night, I feel wonderful. Clearly a huge step forward in my life.

The problem is...once or twice a week, I wake up to find the machine off and my mask neatly hung by the side of the bed. The mask itself (airfit P10) is very comfortable and I don't really have problems with leaks. I've tried taping it to my face on one side. I've tried taping it to my face on both sides. I've tried moving the machine as far away from my bed as the hose will stretch, and still...Sleepyhead tells me I turned the thing off at midnight or 1 or 2 in the morning.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Taking mask off in the middle of the night?
Maybe you could find a suggestion in the following thread:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...oving+mask
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi robertpaxton,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try setting up during the evening and wearing your mask and using your machine as you read or watch tv. Could be that your body is still having trouble getting used to sleeping in this new way.
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Move the machine back closer to the bed. You need lots of "flex" with the hose so it doesn't end up pulling the pillows when you try to roll over or something. Then just relax about the "taking it off" thing. Once you get comfortable with the mask and the pressures then you'll stop taking it off. At your max of 15 pressure it really won't take much to cause the pillow to leak, and the noise (albeit not a big deal) could be enough to get you to put the mask someplace other than on your face.

So study your ahi and your pressures a bit. If you can reduce the top a little, like even a 1/2 a point, without impacting the ahi, then that might help.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 142 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Taking a sleep test while on CPAP? hydra 4 323 02-21-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: MikeR20
  Unable to keep mask throughout night Overdrawn 4 228 02-10-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Overdrawn
  Mask riding up at night robbob2112 1 306 12-22-2023, 05:58 PM
Last Post: mushroom
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 673 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  Taking Home sleep test with snore guard HenryECole81 2 686 10-27-2023, 08:01 AM
Last Post: eok361
  Can't keep mask on all night emash124 4 569 09-19-2023, 01:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.