Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What to set auto pressure high and low at?
What to set auto pressure high and low at?
I have a Philips Respironics system one 560P. My doctor had me do two sleep studies. The first to see if I had a problem. And the second titration study. The second study they came up with a recommended pressure of 12-13 for me to enter rem sleep. My doctor had my machine set at 12. I have been having a lot of leak problems and have been working on trying a few new masks. Also the higher pressure makes more noise and wakes my wife up.
So I wanted to try my cpap on auto to see if I can tolerate it better.
My question is what would I set the min and max at? Im guessing 6 to 13.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What to set auto pressure high and low at?
What kind of AHI are you getting and what kind of leak rates? We would need to know that in order to give you any accurate advice.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2014, 08:24 PM)bs170 Wrote: My question is what would I set the min and max at? Im guessing 6 to 13.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Your guess is as good as mine. No one get right first time, you've start from somewhere, monitor the results over period of time and don,t make changes too soon. AHI below 5 is normal, below 3 is good, bellow 2 excellent, below 1 is even better

Getting leak under control is most important so you and your wife can get some sleep
Happy Wife .... Happy Life

Post Reply Post Reply
My average AHI is 2.13 now. Average leak are 43.66 and 95% total leaks are 65.00
thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it were me, I'd let it run free for a couple weeks and see what pressures the machine determines are necessary...maybe something like 6 - 20. Probably be hard to get leaks under control with a range like that though - maybe adjust the mask to be leak free at 13 or 14. Leaks are probably the biggest concern at this point.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
With the leaks, I'd not recommend wide open.

Your AHI is not worth much with leaks that high. It can be a baseline but it isn't very accurate. Instead of focusing on pressure, work on getting the leaks under control.

If they are waking your wife, ask her if she can tell where the leak is coming from. Is your mouth open or is it the mask? Can she feel your face around the mask for the draft?

Don't over tighten the mask as that causes more leaks than it fixes. Have you tried any other masks or just the one? If you've just tried the one, call your supplier and tell them about the leak issue and that you want to try another mask.

Once you get the leaks under control, then you can use the Auto function. Doing it now would not mean much.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I just started up my auto program and have it set at 17 high and 5 low. It has lowered my AHI to under 5. Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2014, 08:24 PM)bs170 Wrote: The second study they came up with a recommended pressure of 12-13 for me to enter rem sleep.
and
Quote:So I wanted to try my cpap on auto to see if I can tolerate it better.
My question is what would I set the min and max at? Im guessing 6 to 13.
My guess is that if the min pressure is set at 6cm you're going to see a whole lot of events starting to happen because it takes time for the machine to increase the pressure from 6 cm to 12 cm.

I'd suggest setting the min pressure at 9 or 10 cm rather than 6cm. Setting the max at 13 is fine.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 0 50 Yesterday, 01:27 PM
Last Post: xaid
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 66 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,324 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 23 544 03-13-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 171 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 270 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  OSCAR High AHI Frequent CA's - New to CPAP nixontahoe 9 329 03-04-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.