Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: What type of mask do you use?
This poll is closed.
Nasal mask
24.14%
7 24.14%
Nasal pillows mask
37.93%
11 37.93%
Full face mask
37.93%
11 37.93%
Other
0%
0 0%
I don't know
0%
0 0%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What type of mask do you use?
Please vote and make a comment, why you like this particular mask and what trick you find to make it work.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What type of mask do you use?
I like my nasal pillows mask system (Mirage Swift II) because it's a compromise of fit, function and non-invasiveness...

I love being able to see over the mask and watch TV or read a book at bedtime. I love being able to turn my head to the side and not have to worry much about whether or not the mask will be jarred loose by my pillow.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2012, 02:40 PM)zonk Wrote: What type of mask do you use?
Please vote and make a comment, why you like this particular mask and what trick you find to make it work.

I been using the ResMed Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask. I am a "mouth breather".

Been thinking about trying a Quatro Full Face next time.

Tom.......
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2012, 02:53 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: I like my nasal pillows mask system (Mirage Swift II) because it's a compromise of fit, function and non-invasiveness...

I love being able to see over the mask and watch TV or read a book at bedtime. I love being able to turn my head to the side and not have to worry much about whether or not the mask will be jarred loose by my pillow.

I have used two different nasal masks with my System One APAP.

The first mask was the ResMed Mirage FX mask. Loved the mask. Felt like I wasn't wearing a mask at all. Downside was I had leaks which I tried to stop. The sleep doc kept complaining about my leakage rate.

I finally called my DME and asked for a different mask. Now I am using a Philips Respironics ComfortGel Blue mask. Downside of this mask is it is HEAVY compared to the Mirage FX mask. Hopefully, the doc will stop whining about leakage. Dielaughing
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I currently alternate between my Swift LT nasal pillows and my comfort lite II nasal mask. My preference is the Swift LT because it is a minimalist's dream.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
fisher & paykell 432 and resmed ultra mirage, both full face masks. waiting to get quattro fx full face.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the Swift FX nasal pillows mask and feel very grateful that this has worked for me from the get-go (of course, I made it work by rigging chinstrips and pillows under my chin). I couldn't imagine having to deal with more complicated masks and feel for others having to deal with full face mask leaks. I really don't know whether I am a mouth breather or not to this day. I just force myself to use the nasal pillows and "give myself no other choice."
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Respironics Optilife masks because it does not leave red marks on my forehead or face, and I have an unobstructed view of my surroundings. It also has a built-in chin strap that does double duty: helps hold the mask in place and helps keep my mouth closed. Too-funny
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a ResMed Quattro FX full face mask. I suffered from mouth leaks early on with the Swift FX so I felt the best way for me to combat those was to go to a full face mask. My goal was to find the least obtrusive one possible that provided effective therapy, was comfortable and allowed me to sleep through the night. I tried the Mirage Liberty but had difficulty getting a consistent seal with the nasal pillows. The Quattro FX is comfortable, gives me low leak rates and is less obtrusive than other full face masks with forehead support bars. I use it with a Padacheek liner for added comfort and cushion life. I am now sleeping through the night most evenings. Thumbs-up-2
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Respironics FitLife Total Face Mask (not the one size fits most). I used the quattro for a long time and really liked it, but began to have skin breakdown on the bridge of my nose and despite liners and padding could not get my nose to heal. I am a mouth breather and have not liked nasal masks or nasal pillows so I found the FitLife. I like it because it goes around the perimeter of my face, doesn't touch my nose, and usually does not leak. I am having a problem with this mask- the lower strap pressure on the mask- and I do not have them tight- is slowly moving my bottom teeth closer together. I may need to switch types of masks. Does anyone have this type of problem- teeth moving- from a FFM?
Thanks,
Mary
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 10 16,975 Yesterday, 10:13 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 316 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mask Type Setting Mpadgett714 1 535 12-11-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Mask type in settings isn’t the mask I’m wearing 3k9BAO 1 434 11-15-2023, 11:31 PM
Last Post: eok361
  [Treatment] Where can I get this type of Boil-and-bite Mandibular Advancement Splint / MAD? selfhelpdevice 1 347 11-13-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What type of leaks are these on OSCAR? meatwagon42 2 468 11-09-2023, 10:20 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
Question What type of mask should I select on my device? hejohoo 5 623 08-21-2023, 02:02 PM
Last Post: hejohoo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.