Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Six Week Checkup Results
Six Week Checkup Results
Today we went in for my husband's six week checkup. Average AHI during the entire period was 3.09 and for the last week it has been averaging 1.6, with several below 1.0. Leaks are negligible.

The doctor said everything was great and made no changes to the pressure settings. Wants to see him again in six months.

Only issue is that his nose is reddish almost like a rash on the bridge and the sides where the nasal mask touches it. The doctor recommended loosening the mask and then if that does not work after two weeks to come back in and try on either a larger version of the same mask or maybe a different mask. We wash the mask in baby shampoo so I doubt that could cause the reaction but I might change to a dish washing liquid just to see if that makes any difference. May also buy the lansinoh cream I see that others are using on their nostrils - does that affect the mask and should it be washed off before putting the mask back on?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Six Week Checkup Results
I'll let others give recommendations on washing the cream off the mask...

But, I will say that your husband's AHI is pretty darn good. I'm sure it can always be tweaked slightly lower to a degree, but that AHI is nothing to be ashamed of. If the last week was averaging only 1.6, I'd be tempted to say don't change a thing.

As far as the mask issues, new CPAP users often make the mistake of trying to reduce leaks by tightening up the mask way too tight. The mask is really made to almost "float" on top of the skin with not much pressure. Tightening too much can actually increase leaks or cause irritation to the skin.

Here's a great thread on how to obtain the "perfect" mask fit that you may find useful:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...t+mask+fit

Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SPOUSE,
There shouldn't be a problem using HPA Lanolin cream on your nose and washing it off the mask with mild dishsoap. If I'm not mistaken, that cream doesn't have patrolium in it so it won't break down the mask cushion.
Sounds like your therapy is going well. CONTINUED SUCCESS.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I just printed out your directions for a perfect fit. I think he was tightening the mask too much. Thank you!

(01-11-2013, 12:34 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Here's a great thread on how to obtain the "perfect" mask fit that you may find useful:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...t+mask+fit

Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
Will buy some of that cream today assuming there is no petroleum in it. Thanks Trish.

(01-11-2013, 12:54 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi SPOUSE,
There shouldn't be a problem using HPA Lanolin cream on your nose and washing it off the mask with mild dishsoap. If I'm not mistaken, that cream doesn't have patrolium in it so it won't break down the mask cushion.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2013, 12:13 PM)SPOUSE Wrote: Only issue is that his nose is reddish almost like a rash on the bridge and the sides where the nasal mask touches it. The doctor recommended loosening the mask and then if that does not work after two weeks to come back in and try on either a larger version of the same mask or maybe a different mask.
also might add mask liner can help skin irritation
there,re ready made ones, pad a cheek or Remzzz or can make your own
"Becky at RemZzzs" can send you 6 days complimentary sample
see Remzzz liners (Commercial Posts)

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2013, 01:41 PM)SPOUSE Wrote: Will buy some of that cream today assuming there is no petroleum in it.

He can use any kind of moisturizer on his nose during the day but the face needs to be perfectly clean and oil-free to get the best seal especially with a full face mask, any type of oily residue on the mask or the face will cause the mask to leak.

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply
Good suggestion. Will check those out!

(01-11-2013, 04:28 PM)zonk Wrote:
(01-11-2013, 12:13 PM)SPOUSE Wrote:
also might add mask liner can help skin irritation
there,re ready made ones, pad a cheek or Remzzz or can make your own
"Becky at RemZzzs" can send you 6 days complimentary sample
see Remzzz liners (Commercial Posts)

Well that makes sense. I have all sorts of creams and moisturizers; every time a new wrinkle remover comes out....

(01-11-2013, 06:29 PM)TheWerkz Wrote:
(01-11-2013, 01:41 PM)SPOUSE Wrote: Will buy some of that cream today assuming there is no petroleum in it.

He can use any kind of moisturizer on his nose during the day but the face needs to be perfectly clean and oil-free to get the best seal especially with a full face mask, any type of oily residue on the mask or the face will cause the mask to leak.

Ren

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2013, 01:41 PM)SPOUSE Wrote: Will buy some of that cream today assuming there is no petroleum in it. Thanks Trish.

(01-11-2013, 12:54 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi SPOUSE,

You of course realize that by choosing that user name you have effectively become everybody's spouse. Offtopic

Post Reply Post Reply
I kinda like that!Rolleyes
Quote:You of course realize that by choosing that user name you have effectively become everybody's spouse. Offtopic

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 102 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Can someone take a look at my OSCAR results? 3-4 weeks of CPAP & still improvements senseisaitama 5 129 03-24-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 178 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 5 484 03-09-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 155 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 129 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.