Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What type of mask?
RE: What type of mask?
No doubt I am posting this in the wrong place - but I hope somebody might see this post and help me. I find I am unable to navigate Apnea Board Forums at all. Every time I do a search I end up with posts that are completely irrelevant. The instructions are impossibly complicated and include directions that, if I enter more than one word it will produce results that contain every one of those words - I am not permitted to enter a string. Surely this cannot be correct. What am I doing wrong? Specifically, recently I noticed a post that listed recommended machines and machines to avoid. I want to get back to that list. How do I do that? I trialled a Resmed S9 Autoset and yesterday agreed to buy one. However, I find I have been given an S9 Elite. I would like to get back to the list of machines to find the difference and to see if I have bought a lemon or the right machine. I would be so grateful if somebody could help mDont-knowe?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2013, 12:02 AM)Lazybiro Wrote: No doubt I am posting this in the wrong place - but I hope somebody might see this post and help me. I find I am unable to navigate Apnea Board Forums at all. Every time I do a search I end up with posts that are completely irrelevant. The instructions are impossibly complicated and include directions that, if I enter more than one word it will produce results that contain every one of those words - I am not permitted to enter a string. Surely this cannot be correct. What am I doing wrong? Specifically, recently I noticed a post that listed recommended machines and machines to avoid. I want to get back to that list. How do I do that? I trialled a Resmed S9 Autoset and yesterday agreed to buy one. However, I find I have been given an S9 Elite. I would like to get back to the list of machines to find the difference and to see if I have bought a lemon or the right machine. I would be so grateful if somebody could help.

I can't help with the navigation issues on Apnea Board, but I can assure you that if you were given an Elite you have been shortchanged. The Elite is not a data capable machine. Take it back and insist on the S9 Autoset. Do not take 'no' for an answer. If they give you any lip, ask them for their global coordinates, and tell them you need them because you have friends in the US with cruise missiles.

And since you are in Australia, I might point out that Australian prices are at least twice what the same equipment costs in the US. I recommend you check with the supplier list (at the top of every page on Apnea Board) to check out the prices. Many people from Australia have ordered from the US at astonishing savings.

And above all Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2013, 12:02 AM)Lazybiro Wrote: No doubt I am posting this in the wrong place

Actually, yes. You should have started a new thread by clicking on New Thread. Oh well. You'll get it right next time. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I can assure you that if you were given an Elite you have been shortchanged. The Elite is not a data capable machine. Take it back and insist on the S9 Autoset.

My new Elite does have a memory card that I can send to the sleep technician to obtain details of my history and the machine's performance. Does this not mean it is a data capable machine?

And since you are in Australia, I might point out that Australian prices are at least twice what the same equipment costs in the US. I recommend you check with the supplier list (at the top of every page on Apnea Board) to check out the prices. Many people from Australia have ordered from the US at astonishing savings.

I am aware I am paying more - but I get ongoing service for that and effectively a ten year guarantee on the machine (if the sleep technician is still in business of course!!!). Next time I shall probably buy over the internet.
For your information, my total bill in Australian dollars was $1199 for the S9 Elite, $279 for the Eson nasal mask and $349 for the Resmed Climate Control Kit - making a total of $1827 Austrlian or about $1918 US

Post Reply Post Reply
New, Zero Hour (Open Box) ResMed S9 Elite and Accessories US $579
New, Zero Hour (Open Box) ResMed S9 AutoSet and Accessories US $799
(plus $60/70 for shipping) ... Supplier #2

Australian prices are rip-off in comparison
Resmed over charge customers in Australia to subsidize prices elsewhere

ResMed acts on retail pricing after ACCC investigation (Sept 2010)
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/archive/...5930721590

btw, who told you about the "ten year guarantee on the machine"

Post Reply Post Reply
Zonk, I see what you mean about prices. I guess I shall feel free to make future purchases on line - but for the moment feel obliged to make my initial purchase from the technician that has been lending me devices and advising me. The ten year warranty is not guaranteed - it is just what the technician says she expects to be able to do for me as Resmed are "great to deal with"! Just for interest, a Perth dealer who claim they "will not be beaten on price" is advertising an "on-line special" of $2099 (marked down from $2800) for a Resmed S9 Autoset and all accessories including mask. Their price for the Elite package is $1495, down from $1848. This is three times the price that you mention. Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2013, 12:02 AM)Lazybiro Wrote: However, I find I have been given an S9 Elite. I would like to get back to the list of machines to find the difference and to see if I have bought a lemon or the right machine.

Hi Lazybiro,

Here's the list you were looking for: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Actually, the S9 Elite IS fully data capable but not auto titrating, the S9 AutoSet is both auto titrating OR a straight CPAP exactly like the Elite, so for about US$50.00 more than the Elite you get the best of both worlds.

Both the AutoSet and Elite will give you the same exact data from your therapy, the only downside to the Elite is it's only a fixed pressure CPAP machine, the majority of AutoSet owners (like myself) use it in Automatic mode with great results.

Your option is to either keep the Elite or pay a few extra bucks for the AutoSet if you want your CPAP therapy to be automatically adjusted on a breath-by-breath basis.

Keep us informed on how it works out.

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Ren. That's spot on. That's the page I was looking for and the information I wanted ... and you have confirmed that the Elite is fully data capable. But your $50 difference between Autoset and Elite appears to blow out to about $500 to $600 in Australia depending on supplier (for the full package including humidifier, mask and hose). At that price differential, I may just have to put up with the Elite. However, I think it is worth going back to my clinician/supplier to discuss the position. I understand she is happy to read the data card every three months and reset pressures etc to suit. So perhaps the Autoset function is not so important.

By the way, now knowing that the page I was seeking is headed "Machine choices" if I input "Machine Choices" into the search function ... I get dozens of results - but not Archangle's Machine Choices. HmmmmmmHuh
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2013, 09:40 AM)Lazybiro Wrote: By the way, now knowing that the page I was seeking is headed "Machine choices" if I input "Machine Choices" into the search function ... I get dozens of results - but not Archangle's Machine Choices. HmmmmmmHuh

Archangle's "Machine Choices" article is not on the Apnea Board Forum.. it's on the Apnea Board Wiki, HERE. Therefore, if you were using the Forum Search, it would not show up. You'd need to use the Wiki Search function, at the top right of the Apnea Board Wiki, HERE.

Also, when searching for a specific string of words, it helps to put the string in quotes (like this: "cpap mask" - not simply cpap mask, with no quotes).

Also if you're using the Forum Search, you can limit the search to thread titles, or do a full text search of the post contents (that option is right below the search string area).

Hope this helps! Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2013, 09:40 AM)Lazybiro Wrote: But your $50 difference between Autoset and Elite appears to blow out to about $500 to $600 in Australia depending on supplier (for the full package including humidifier, mask and hose).

Lazybiro, I did say it was about US $50 so I guess that's about AUS $500! Too-funny

If the only difference between the 2 packages is just the flow generator - AutoSet or Elite, and everything else is exactly the same, then they're really ripping people off if anyone were to actually pay such an exorbitant price for an AutoSet.

You can download either ResScan or SleepyHead (I use both) to monitor your own therapy and tweak your own settings if you want to take an active role in your therapy, many people on this board take control of their own therapy this way and you can also monitor whether you're getting any leaks from your mask by using the software.

You can get either software package by going to: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links

Get the Clinician Manual for your Elite Here, scroll-down about 2/3rd's of the page and follow the email instructions.

Good luck with the Elite if you do keep it, you can still get effective therapy with it and you'll be able to monitor your therapy data just as well as you could with the AutoSet, you're not "settling" if you can't afford an AutoSet, you're doing everything you can afford to do!

Sleep-well

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 248 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mask Type Setting Mpadgett714 1 512 12-11-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Mask type in settings isn’t the mask I’m wearing 3k9BAO 1 415 11-15-2023, 11:31 PM
Last Post: eok361
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 8 16,065 11-13-2023, 10:14 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  [Treatment] Where can I get this type of Boil-and-bite Mandibular Advancement Splint / MAD? selfhelpdevice 1 308 11-13-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What type of leaks are these on OSCAR? meatwagon42 2 449 11-09-2023, 10:20 PM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
Question What type of mask should I select on my device? hejohoo 5 587 08-21-2023, 02:02 PM
Last Post: hejohoo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.