Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What units are the Snore Volume numbers in OSCAR?
What units are the Snore Volume numbers in OSCAR?
I've consulted various sources (including the Wiki) and still don't know how to interpret the numbers on the Y-axis of the Snore graph in OSCAR.  Some sources mention "pressure waves" but never provide quantifications or qualifications.

The mouse-over annotations are similarly unhelpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What units are the Snore Volume numbers in OSCAR?
In the ResMed PLD edf files, the Snore signal ranges from 0 to 5 and has no units associated, so it is dimensionless.

I'm not sure how they arrive at their values.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2021, 10:44 AM)pholynyk Wrote: In the ResMed PLD edf files, the Snore signal ranges from 0 to 5 and has no units associated, so it is dimensionless.  

Interesting.  The sensor would be producing signals varying by voltage.  Pressure waves are usually measured in Pascals but when interpretable as sound waves, one would expect decibels. Either way, I would think that it would be a logarithmic scale. Perhaps by leaving it "dimensionless", they avoided having to explaining that complexity in their documentation.

I overrode the auto-scaling on my Y-axis (as decimal fractions well below 1.00) so that I could see the very low levels of "snores" more easily.  So apparently I just don't snore much despite serious apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply
How would you rate the Resmed snore numbers?  Do they represent Frequency?  Duration?  Sound volume?

My numbers are occasional episodes, under 1, mostly under .75.  My spouse says I mostly "softly purr, like a cat".

My graph tics may occur in groups, each maybe a minute apart.  Groups cluster every 20 or 30 minutes.

So is this a "mild" case of snoring, low volume, generally not disturbing to a sleeping partner?

What numbers (0-5) represent a significant disturbance, either to the sleeper or to others?

Maybe we need some sort of survey to translate the Resmed numbers to real world?

Or maybe I need to get a sound recorder or video to match against the times.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just came across this old post on a Google search. There's a good explanation on the OSCAR wiki. The details depend on a machine. For a ResMed 9 (and presumably 10) it's based on measuring flow rate. There is no microphone. 1.5 is "medium" and 3.0 is "loud".
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Curious if ResVent Tidal Volume displays seem correct TechieHippie 4 264 02-25-2024, 06:27 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  What is OSCAR's unit of measurement for "Snore"? And, more importantly, how could I DaveInDenver 1 550 08-14-2023, 02:27 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Meaning of numbers in parentheses of events in Oscar fredo48 8 1,539 10-15-2022, 07:01 AM
Last Post: fredo48
  Oscar graph axis units ChonRad 7 672 07-22-2022, 10:31 AM
Last Post: ChonRad
  analyzing OSCAR snore chart cberistain 1 894 12-18-2021, 01:50 PM
Last Post: sheepless
  Tidal volume and Flowrate out of sync? [Airsense 11] dataq1 12 1,461 11-24-2021, 03:19 AM
Last Post: 2SleepBetta
  OSCAR: Understanding Overview page numbers apneaeric 4 783 07-24-2021, 02:00 PM
Last Post: GuyScharf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.