Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What was This?
What was This?
Well I finished my first week on CPAP with a bang. I looked at AH this morning and found a little area where I looked like I died. lol. Really tho, looks to me like I had a really large leak. I couldn't use a FFM so Until I can get this P10 changed out (really hurts my nostrils) and try a Dreamwear, I use medical paper tape and tape my mouth shut. Looks like I blew it off, found it when I got up.

I also had a lot of events at first cuz I had the mask on while I was getting set up ie taping, moving blankets, getting my SPo2 on and so forth. Then I slept for 3.5 hours, woke and fell back asleep for 2.5. Got up, took off the mask and slept another hour and woke after having a really bad dream!

So that was it. Is this how SH interprets a big leak? The P10 really doesnt work that well for me cuz I cant get it comfy on my nostrils. I wake up leaking at times and if I tighten it up more, it hurts.

Mark

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What was This?
A couple tips on the P10 you may already know:
Straps close together at the crown of your head = tighter
Straps spread apart = looser
Large pillows are better than smaller for irritation. You want the seal at the nares.

The P10 works best when not overly tight. You should be able to lift it away from your nose and comfortably set it in place and get a comfortable seal. If it is mashing your nose, you're doing it wrong.

You seem to have had a displacement leak at 00:45, but the leak at 01:00 looks like a mouth leak. Everything else is acceptable except 03:15, so it's not that bad for a new user in the first week. You're doing better, and irritation should start to wane.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2015, 11:10 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: A couple tips on the P10 you may already know:
Straps close together at the crown of your head = tighter
Straps spread apart = looser
Large pillows are better than smaller for irritation. You want the seal at the nares.

The P10 works best when not overly tight. You should be able to lift it away from your nose and comfortably set it in place and get a comfortable seal. If it is mashing your nose, you're doing it wrong.

You seem to have had a displacement leak at 00:45, but the leak at 01:00 looks like a mouth leak. Everything else is acceptable except 03:15, so it's not that bad for a new user in the first week. You're doing better, and irritation should start to wane.
Thank you for your help! I do know about the tightening of the mask issues. Also am using medium pillows. I have two probs actually. One is I am a side sleeper and that tends to make the mask move and secondly is that they are not comfy when tightened and hurt the inside of my nose. I tried putting a touch of a cream on the rims of my nostrils and slightly lube the pillows but that didnt work. I did pull and replace many times and as soon as they seat they hurt.

Thank you for your help. I feel like im fighting a war!

Mark

Post Reply Post Reply
You might want to try the Ayr nasal gel to soothe and protect your nostrils.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2015, 11:47 AM)sonicboom Wrote: You might want to try the Ayr nasal gel to soothe and protect your nostrils.
Hmmm. Never heard of that. Maybe my DME has it. Ill look Monday. Thanks for the idea.

Mark

Post Reply Post Reply
You bet. You can get it at your local drug store.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
GTOdude,
I use Ayr nasal gel. You can buy almost anywhere. Google it. Don't buy from DME unless you want to be robbed. Smile

Nasal pillows shouldn't be placed too far into your nostrils. They should seat more on the outside with just a bit on the inside. I had to move to a larger size to accomplish this.

Also, and I think this applies to any mask, but if you lay on your side, you can't really smush your nose into the pillow. Any mask will displace doing that. Learn to sleep at the edge of your pillow, with mask hanging off side.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2015, 11:10 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: You seem to have had a displacement leak at 00:45, but the leak at 01:00 looks like a mouth leak. Everything else is acceptable except 03:15, so it's not that bad for a new user in the first week. You're doing better, and irritation should start to wane.

Agreed. It's really a rather good night overall.
Often, the mask is the most difficult part of the process. That too can be mastered.

Mark: You may be fighting a war; but you are a winner.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2015, 12:05 PM)OpalRose Wrote: GTOdude,
I use Ayr nasal gel. You can buy almost anywhere. Google it. Don't buy from DME unless you want to be robbed. Smile

Nasal pillows shouldn't be placed too far into your nostrils. They should seat more on the outside with just a bit on the inside. I had to move to a larger size to accomplish this.

Also, and I think this applies to any mask, but if you lay on your side, you can't really smush your nose into the pillow. Any mask will displace doing that. Learn to sleep at the edge of your pillow, with mask hanging off side.
Yeah I googled it and it appears its at our local Walgreen's. I'll look for it there. Yeah I do sleep on the edge like that or with my head tilted slightly upward. It seemed last night that I woke up with the pressure leaking out the sides and a sore nose.

Last night I used a smaller dose of Ambien to get to sleep and when I woke up I was able to fall back asleep without head rushes so I may be conquering the anxiety. Sat in the recliner watching the tv with my Bride for a couple hours with the mask on and im getting accustomed to it. I think I am winning a few battles. My oximeter showed I did not desat below 90-91% last night and during my study I went as low as 84%.

Now just have to get past the nose mask issues..

Mark

Post Reply Post Reply
As others mentioned, your nostrils will toughen up and you can use the gel if you need it. The initial 2-3 weeks are the worst .... patience is key.

Your patience will pay off because the right size pillow will be wonderful, you'll no longer need a FFM. I like to have a little slack in the hose near my face so it doesn't tug as much and cause a leak with slight movement. Then again, I fall asleep fast (couple of minutes) and the mask stays in place with the slack. Hard for you to believe that you will love this machine and mask in time, but trust us, we haven't failed you .... yet :-)

One week is not enough to get acclimated. Your losing some battles but you will win the war with patience, you need to see this:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ets-better
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.