Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What was your darkest pre-dawn point?
What was your darkest pre-dawn point?
Hi Pap-ers,
I know I'm not alone in this...surely others have had their low points in the beginning.

Last night, very tired, having given up on nuance, with only my imperfect for me, resmed p10 to put on, I got the bright idea to tie a knot in one of the two straps.

So I tied it, and it was too tight. So I slid the knot closer to the end of the itself, making it, duh, tighter knot but longer cord at head part. Only to find out that it was a bit off center and making mask feel oddly placed.

So i tried and tried with my short nails, to undue the knot. I thought about waking hubby and saying "undo this knot please?" but to wake and then put on minute task seemed crazy. I killed a good half hour trying to get my nuance to be stable on face willing to return to it if needed for a night...nothing... So I kid you not, it took til 5 am, of using knitting needles and all sorts of things (risking poking self badly each time) forced under elastic, to get that booger untied.

I had some good thinking and mulling time during the struggle, and decided to up my pressure a little again, and I went from 6.6 to 7.0 and from 13.6-14.00 and crashed myself into the bed...

Well I woke..one eye open..mask still on, sleep headache brewing, tangled in covers, my favorite pillow no where to be found (found at feet hours later) sure m numbers be bad. Well I had a 3.9 half of which is central. SO YAY.:grin:

(Anyone know what can cause a headache that feels like pre-apnea headaches, whilst getting good therapy?)

What have you done, jerry rigging, late night desperation, ideas that sounded good that went BAD...etc...to find sleep in the desperate wee hours? Or am I alone?

Susan aka The Hen.
Ps..I also went happy crazy yesterday and ordered like 400 bucks of stuff from dealer no. 1 online...2 masks with return insurance, some nose cream, some pad a cheek, some some...but that's not a low point...or is it?

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What was your darkest pre-dawn point?
Next time you decide to fool with your P10 mask, take a cute little pair of scissors, and whack the straps right in the middle. Then take a couple of also cute little safety pins, overlap the cute little, albeit severely whacked straps, and pin them back together. It works fine.

Some actually sew them together, or attach to velcro somehow.. But safety pins work fine even if a tad "low-tech."
Post Reply Post Reply
Lol Retired Guy,
That thought actually crossed my mind, though I don't know where I have any safety pins.

Hen, lo tech enough.

Post Reply Post Reply
My low point was the first two days, AHI in the mid 20's. But as soon as I realized I was wearing the mask upside-down (duh), it dropped below 8 (now at 1.8).
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, it's not obvious (at least to me) that the P10 head strap will come off the mask body without doing any damage and can be easily returned when you finish working on it.

This will allow you to lay the strap flat, making it easier to work and easier to run through a sewing machine. Also easier to measure accurately and less likely to damage the mask portion while you work.

For a long time I thought the strap was permanently affixed and not just slipped over a catch on the mask.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2015, 11:38 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: My low point was the first two days, AHI in the mid 20's. But as soon as I realized I was wearing the mask upside-down (duh), it dropped below 8 (now at 1.8).

DielaughingDielaughingDielaughing
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
I too did enjoy the upside down mask story Tyrone!
Thanks All. Daria, love the signature. Herb, good points!

Susan
Post Reply Post Reply
It is harder to get the FFM on upside down :grin:
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Single Point Low O2 Data mcman56 1 252 11-16-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  The point of CPAP Machine explained ? Gregsleep 6 645 10-20-2023, 08:54 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Nurse at doctor's office is saying to not use Dawn soap to clean CPAP vroomvroom 73 26,797 09-23-2022, 12:23 AM
Last Post: OldYamaha
  Airmini leaking noise at the humidx connection point ggoom 1 1,629 04-24-2022, 01:11 PM
Last Post: SleepinAZ
  First couple of nights, would any changes make sense at this point? tormund 3 695 02-06-2022, 04:25 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Can anyone point me in the right direction please? Woody6977 4 630 01-11-2022, 09:56 PM
Last Post: Woody6977
  What is the point of "Nasal Masks" ? S. Manz 16 1,858 10-27-2021, 09:29 PM
Last Post: brianc18t

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.