Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: What water do you use to fill the humidifier tank?
This poll is closed.
Distilled
74.29%
52 74.29%
Tap
14.29%
10 14.29%
Other
10.00%
7 10.00%
N/A
1.43%
1 1.43%
Total 70 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What water do you use to fill the humidifier tank?
RE: What water do you use to fill the humidifier tank?
I live in a 70 year old house and we have a mixture of water distribution piping. Some galvanized steel, some PVC, some CPVC piping, and our new renovated bathroom will have a mixture of CPVC and PEX.

To make a long story short, I use distilled water.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've always used tap water since started over a year ago
What comes out of the tap doesn't leave any deposits or residues and the water tank remains in a good nick
Post Reply Post Reply
I found using Brita water filters works and the cost is lower than purchasing distilled water. I live in a hard water area, minerals can deposit inside the humidifier. I was advised to filter tap water.
The exchange ion resin in the filter lowers the concentration of calcium carbonates, accordingly softening tap water. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Since I have one of the sealed H5i water tanks, I have been using distilled water and dumping the leftover each morning as well as rinsing out the tank with warm water mixed with a little ivory soap and then rinsing out the soapy water. Sounds a lot more time-consuming than it actually is. So far, no smell or mineral deposit problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
I always use distilled except when traveling and then I just use bottled drinking water. I pretty much know how water I will use in a night so I only fill the humidifier to the level needed.
"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply
I use bottled distilled water as we live in a rural area where our well water is considered hard. We have a water softener for both hot and cold water, but not for our "drinking water" faucet. One time when filling the humidifier on my old CPAP machine I grabbed the jug of white vinegar by mistake. I was really tired that night and it took me quite a while to realize the reason why I kept smelling vinegar. I was really annoyed with myself then as I had to switch out humidifier tank, hoses and nasal pillows and start all over again with clean equipment. Will not make that mistake again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2012, 09:27 AM)GrammaBear Wrote: I was really tired that night and it took me quite a while to realize the reason why I kept smelling vinegar. I was really annoyed with myself then as I had to switch out humidifier tank, hoses and nasal pillows and start all over again with clean equipment.

But your equipment was really clean! Dielaughing
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It all comes down to your routine and your insurance coverage. If you are the one who is paying all of the bills then I would recommend distilled water as it will promote the longest life of your equipment, reducing deposits on the tank and tubing, but you have to pay extra for the water. Filtered tap water is quite acceptable if your insurance pays for frequent replacement of equipment, but has a much higher possibility of water borne impurities being directed into your lungs and deposited on the humidifier and equipment. The deposits then also provide a protected area for growth of bacteria and require a much more vigilent cleaning regimine.
For myself, I use the cleanest water that I have available at the time which is normally distilled because if I am going to breath it in I want it as clean as possible. (my stomach is designed to handle the junk that I eat, my lungs are not)
Post Reply Post Reply
There are very few impurities that will make it from the humidifier tank all the way to your lungs. It is so minute a risk it is a non-issue. Unless someone is using water from a mud puddle, that is.

The greater risk, and one that is over looked far too often, is the stuff that can grow in the hose. A mold growing in there can be transferred to you via air.

This is my opinion, of course. I have only personal experience and what I have studied as what I use to make my decision.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2012, 12:11 PM)oldteddybear Wrote: It all comes down to your routine and your insurance coverage.

And the quality of your tap water. This varies widely, so use common sense. If your tap water stinks or leaves a cruddy residue in your humidifier tank, it's best to use either softened, filtered water or bottled distilled water.

I was forunate enough to be able to install a water softener in my home a few years back. I also have a sediment filter before the water softener. Under my kitchen sink I have a reverse osmosis filter that sends water to a tap at the sink and to my ice-maker.

So, the water I put in my humidifier passes through the sediment filter, the water softener, and the reverse osmosis filter. Other people don't need anywhere near this level of water treatment and could use tap water with no problems.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 95 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,814 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,375 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 184 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 448 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.